Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy Jones vs Bobby Gunn

Jones Jr. to fight journeyman Gunn on Feb. 17

After Roy Jones Jr. scored a 10-round shutout decision against journeyman Rodney Moore on Aug. 13 in front of his hometown fans in Pensacola, Florida, despite suffering a torn right biceps midway through the fight, Jones said he was strongly considering retirement.

After all, at age 47, Jones was way past his prime but on his way to the International Boxing Hall of Fame as one of the sport's all-time greats, having won world titles in four weight classes -- middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight -- and reigned as the pound-for-pound king for most of the period between 1993 and 2004.

But Jones has decided to fight on, and on Thursday night, promoter David Feldman announced that Jones would face Bobby Gunn in a 12-round cruiserweight fight on Feb. 17.

Roy Jones Jr. has won two fights in a row since a fourth-round knockout loss to Enzo Maccarinelli in December 2015. Rich Schultz/Getty Images
    A news conference is scheduled for Tuesday at the Chase Center in Wilmington, Delaware, the probable site of the fight, although that was not officially announced.

Jones confirmed the fight to ESPN, saying of Gunn, "He's been wanting it, so here it is."

Jones (64-9, 46 KOs), who will turn 48 on Jan. 16 and will be in his 28th year as a professional boxer by fight time, has won two fights in a row against very low-level opponents since former cruiserweight world titleholder Enzo Maccarinelli, a tremendous puncher, severely knocked him out in the fourth round in Moscow in December 2015.

"I know Bobby Gunn is coming to bring it," Jones said. "He's a hard-nose, tough fighter that comes right at you, but I'm going to show him why I'm one of the best that ever did it and he doesn't belong in the ring with me."

Gunn (21-6-1, 18 KOs), who turns 43 later this month, is best known for his exploits as a bare-knuckle fighter. He claims to be 72-0 with 72 knockouts in bare-knuckle fighting.

As a boxer, he is a journeyman who has lost three bouts in a row, to Glen Johnson, James Toney and Tomasz Adamek, who knocked him out in the fourth round of a cruiserweight world title bout in 2009.

Gunn, a Hackensack, New Jersey-based Canadian, has not boxed since 2013 and has fought only twice since 2009, the losses to Johnson and Toney, both former world champions who were way past their best days when they faced him. Gunn also got knocked out in the first round by Maccarinelli in a 2007 cruiserweight world title fight.

Gunn has wanted to fight Jones for years.

"It's an honor to share the ring with a legend like Roy Jones," Gunn said. "I've been chasing him for a few years now, and on Feb. 17, I will catch him."

Feldman said the fight would be televised on pay-per-view but offered no details.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Roy Jones vs Bobby Gunn

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As long as Roy is fighting his level then it is fine. I just hope he does not think he can become a world champion if he keeps winning these types of fight.

B Hop is ending his career proud and with distinction.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    As long as Roy is fighting his level then it is fine. I just hope he does not think he can become a world champion if he keeps winning these types of fight. B Hop is ending his career proud and with distinction.
    Well said and Hopkins is fighting a very dangerous young puncher.Roy just wing stop. It's sad. Enzo about killed him. Enzo stopped Gunn back in the day as well I think.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    As long as Roy is fighting his level then it is fine. I just hope he does not think he can become a world champion if he keeps winning these types of fight. B Hop is ending his career proud and with distinction.
    Well said and Hopkins is fighting a very dangerous young puncher.Roy just wing stop. It's sad. Enzo about killed him. Enzo stopped Gunn back in the day as well I think.
    You could be right. Enzo has had an up and down career.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I follow Roy closely as he is from my hometown. His dad lives the street over from me and his fighters are always running by my house during their training. Does anyone remember Derrick Smoke Gainer? He won a belt and fought Corrales and JMM. He is my next door neighbor. He is 44 now, but just like Roy, he is still hoping to keep boxing. He told me a couple days ago that he was told that if he takes a fight and wins, then he'll be given a regional title fight, and if he wins that they will rank him in the top 15 and make him eligible for a title fight. Stuff like this is what keeps these older fighters in the sport because their names keep them only a couple fights away from title shots.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone close to Roy needs to throw in the towel for him.

He should have retired 12 years ago, and here he is!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When guys hang on and chase shadows at first you feel sorry for them a bit and equally concerned.

I've reached the point with Roy where I really hope he gets badly sparked out each time he carries on. Flat for a 10 count.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    And a 45 yr old Glen Johnson basically dominated him.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Derrick Smoke Gainer lost to some very qood fighters but he should not be coming back either. Is it a money thing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Derrick Smoke Gainer lost to some very qood fighters but he should not be coming back either. Is it a money thing?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is because he is living in a rental home with his his wife and three children. I didn't want to ask him about his financial situation. He said he's tried to get Al Haymon's number but none of his boxing friends will give it to him because they don't want anyone else taking their spot. Not sure that is a very realistic idea, but that's what he said.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor John View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is because he is living in a rental home with his his wife and three children. I didn't want to ask him about his financial situation. He said he's tried to get Al Haymon's number but none of his boxing friends will give it to him because they don't want anyone else taking their spot. Not sure that is a very realistic idea, but that's what he said.
    That is sad but he earned the money and should have invested and saved it wisely. Looking at boxing rec he has not fought since 2012 so he is too long gone to be competitive. If he can win a couple, then I hope him all the best. Roy always wanted to promote Gainer, his friend after every fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is sad but he earned the money and should have invested and saved it wisely. Looking at boxing rec he has not fought since 2012 so he is too long gone to be competitive. If he can win a couple, then I hope him all the best. Roy always wanted to promote Gainer, his friend after every fight.
    Yeah I do know that he spent a lot of his money starting a private school for troubled kids. He owned a UPS Store at some point as well. I've seen Roy's twin son's working at a UPS Store down the street so I'm guessing that may be the one he owned.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I do know that he spent a lot of his money starting a private school for troubled kids. He owned a UPS Store at some point as well. I've seen Roy's twin son's working at a UPS Store down the street so I'm guessing that may be the one he owned.
    Have you noticed Roy slurring in his speech more now that when he was younger? He does to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you noticed Roy slurring in his speech more now that when he was younger? He does to me.
    Honestly, I haven't. It would make sense though for that to happen since he's taken so much punishment the last 13 years. Funny you bring it up though because Gainer mentioned last week to me that he's ok with Roy fighting because it hasn't affected his brain and speech.

Thread Information