Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mike Quarry ~ Forced To Fight On By Father ~ 'Road To Palookaville'

Mike Quarry

~ Part I ~

July 1972

Following the 'brutal loss' {L KO 4} at the hands of World Light-Heavyweight Champion
    Bob Foster on June 27, 1972 in Las Vegas.

Mike, only at {Age; 21 years, 4 months} wanted to end his career of Boxing, and go back
    to school to get a College Degree.

Though his record was impressive at 35-1-0 {11 KO's}, Mike's style was not really built
    to absorb punishment. And the grueling days of sparring and training were already taking
    their toll on the young Light-Heavyweight.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-14-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Quarry ~ Forced To Fight On By Father ~ 'Road To Palookaville'

Mike Quarry

Prior to 'challenging' Light-Heavyweight Champion - Bob Foster on June 27, 1972.

Young Mike had gone 'unbeaten' in 35-Bouts, and earned his way to the #2 WBA-ranking
    along the way.

But, in his 3-Year career of '35-wins', Mike's ledger was loaded with victories over a slew
    of 2nd-Rate fighters, Club-fighters and worn-out Trial-Horses.

Not only that, in those '35-wins, '9' of those bouts went to a Majority or Split Decision.

In fact, Mike's most important win was a 'highly-controversial' {5-Round Technical Decision}
    over 34 1/2 year-old Jimmy 'The Cat' Dupree on October 29, 1971 > which was for the
    NABF Light-Heavyweight Championship.

While the 'Quarry Camp' {Father - Jack} felt that Mike was ready for the lanky but vicious
    punching Bob Foster, those in the know at the Main Street Boxing Gym in Los Angeles said >

> "Mike is not ready yet."
    > "The kid is not in Bob Foster's league."
    > "The Father is going to get that kid killed."
    > "They're rushing this kid. He needs another year at least."
    > "Mike is a glorified preliminary fighter with a built up record.'

Still, Jack Quarry was willing to take the risk, and put his son {Age; 21 years, 3 months} into
    the Ring with arguably, the 'hardest-hitting' Light-Heavyweight ever.

Jack Quarry >

"I'm getting criticized by everyone. I know what I'm doing with my kid. He knows how to
    fight, and he's one clever boxer. He's too fast for Foster, who in my mind is 'shot' and
    over-rated. He has no legs left. Once Mike starts to push him in the later Rounds, he'll fold
    up like a 'cheap lawn chair'. Mark my words."

"Look Foster is good, but he's got age on him {34 years, 2 months}. Guys like him, 'tall and
    lanky' loose their legs when they get that old. He's dangerous for only 4 or 5 Rounds, and
    then after that, he's a regular fighter."

"I'm not saying that Mike will win by a Knockout, because he's a boxer, not a puncher or
    slugger. But I won't be surprised if Mike is standing over him late in the bout, looking down
    on that 'tall-glass-of-water' getting counted out."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-14-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck Hamilton {Sparring-partner for Mike Quarry}

I thought that Bob Foster killed Mike that night at the Convention Center in Las Vegas.
    That 'left-hook' that Bob caught Mike with, would have flattened most Heavyweights.

It sounded like it went through Mike's jaw. Like a 'sledge-hammer' smashing a bone.
    Just frightening.

Mike hit the canvas hard, and was laid out for 3-Minutes. I was really scared that he
    wouldn't get up. When they got him back to the Corner, he sat on the stool for nearly
    10-Minutes. He had no sense of where he was.

Back in the dressing-room, he was still 'in-a-fog', 30-Mintes after the bout. They didn't
    even have good Medical people there to check him out. I felt so bad for Mike. He felt
    that he let everybody down back home in Anaheim, California.

When I was alone with him, I told him that he should retire. He was a smart kid. I told
    him to take his Fight Purse { $45,000 } and put it in the bank.

And I said > "Mike, go to College and get a Degree in Business."

But he just gazed at me and said > "But my Father wants me to be a Champion. He
    would be upset if I gave up Boxing."

I just looked at the floor and shook my head. I knew that the kid would end up in
    a bad way if he continued.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-14-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ December 12, 1972

Auditorium ~ Miami Beach, Florida

Attendance ........... 2811
    Gate Receipts ...... $21,350

* Mike Quarry - 35-1-0 {11 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 181 lbs. ~ {Age; 21 years, 9 months}
    vs.
    * Frank Evans - 20-11-0 {15 KO's} ~ 6' 0" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 24 years, 3 months}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 1/2 months after the 'disaster' loss {L KO 4} to Bob Foster, Mike is back in the Ring
    in Florida.

Mike, who had been ranked as the #2 WBA Light-Heavyweight back in June, had dropped
    to #5 WBA.

Mike, who had entered Junior College in September 1972, had taken a short break, to
    get a 'pick-up' bout in Miami Beach, which was promoted by Chris Dundee.

The opponent for Mike, was 24 year-old Frank Evans. Frank who was the Texas State
    Light-Heavyweight Champion could punch a little, but was regarded as a 'safe opponent'
    for Mike, as he did not have the 'good' boxing skills that Mike had.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Mike Quarry Threatens To Retire After 'Draw' Decision ~

Mike Quarry and Frank Evans battled to a 'controversial' 10-Round Draw at the Miami Beach
    Auditorium tonight.

During the reading of the scores by the Ring Announcer, Mike Quarry 'bolted' from the Ring and
    headed back to his dressing room in disgust.

As for the bout, Quarry had a solid 1st-Round, and cut Frank Evans around the left-eye. From that
    point on, the Texas Light-Heavyweight fought the rest of the bout protecting the eye-cut by keeping
    his hands high.

Surprisingly, a young Quarry was reluctant to take advantage of his opponents damaged {cut-eye},
    and fought with hesitation in too many Rounds. This allowed Evans to take risks by coming forward
    with clubbing punches, and then mauling Quarry with both arms.

At the end of the 10th Round, a 'dejected' Quarry was uncontrollable, as he was rambling loudly and
    criticizing himself for a 'poor' performance. Then, he bolted from the Ring and ran back to his dressing
    room.

Scorecards
    * Referee - Eddie Eckhart ...... 46-46 {4-4-2} > 'Even'
    * Judge - Barry Pearlman ....... 47-45 {5-3-2} > Frank Evans
    * Judge - Bully Lovett ............ 48-46 {4-2-4} > Mike Quarry

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry ........ $4000 {Plus Travel and Hotel Expenses}
    * Frank Evans ........ $700 {Plus $100 Travel Expenses and 1-Day Hotel Stay}

~ After Bout Skinny ~

Mike Quarry was 'uncontrollable' back in the dressing room, as he was 'sobbing' and talking to himself.

Trainer - Frank Brazell attempted to console Mike by telling him > "Forget Mike. It's a nothing fight."

Mike Quarry >
    "I thought that I won every Round, except for the 9th and 10th. I let him take those '2' Rounds because
    I was so far ahead. I have no idea what that 'one' Judge and Referee were watching."

"All that I have put into my career. Boxing is 'too dirty' for me. I'm going to retire, and go back to school
    {College} in California. That was my last fight {crying}. We {Quarry's} can never get a break in this business.
    All I wanted was a fair Decision. I want the Miami Beach Boxing Commission to reverse this 'bad' Decision
    and change it to a 'No Contest'."

"It was his style. He {Frank Evans} had big-feet, and he kept them wide apart like a Crab. I couldn't get
    inside and work his body. I was so sure that I could have taken him out in any Round that I wanted to.
    But, he was so awkward in there. But still, I thought I won '8 of 10' Rounds."

Frank Evans >
    "I felt that I won it, all the way. I'm not happy with the Draw either. He {Mike Quarry} did nothing
    after the 3rd-Round. Nothing but 'pitty-pat' amateur punching. That doesn't cut it down here in the South."

Dean Manchaca {Manager for Frank Evans} >
    "They got us here for { $700 }. Now for the rematch, we want { $3500 }."

"Look, my guy {Frank Evans} is a much better fighter now than before. He has won '11 of 13' in the past
    year. Now, we're looking for a Top 20 ranking."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-01-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a fucking weirdo. Making up history and quotes that nobody gives a shit about or reads except you. Awful lonely in here...

SMH
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Quarry

Looked up to his older brother Jerry. So much so, that Mike would only have Jerry as
    his Trainer.

Jerry made his little brother 'a technically efficient boxer'.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Chuck Hamilton {Sparring-partner for Mike Quarry}

I thought that Bob Foster killed Mike that night at the Convention Center in Las Vegas.
    That 'left-hook' that Bob caught Mike with, would have flattened most Heavyweights.

It sounded like it went through Mike's jaw. Like a 'sledge-hammer' smashing a bone.
    Just frightening.

Mike hit the canvas hard, and was laid out for 3-Minutes. I was really scared that he
    wouldn't get up. When they got him back to the Corner, he sat on the stool for nearly
    10-Minutes. He had no sense of where he was.

Back in the dressing-room, he was still 'in-a-fog', 30-Mintes after the bout. They didn't
    even have good Medical people there to check him out. I felt so bad for Mike. He felt
    that he let everybody down back home in Anaheim, California.

When I was alone with him, I told him that he should retire. He was a smart kid. I told
    him to take his Fight Purse { $45,000 } and put it in the bank.

And I said > "Mike, go to College and get a Degree in Business."

But he just gazed at me and said > "But my Father wants me to be a Champion. He
    would be upset if I gave up Boxing."

I just looked at the floor and shook my head. I knew that the kid would end up in
    a bad way if he continued.
    I remember the punch, Foster had a monster left hook.
    When Jerry came through the ropes to help his brother, it looked like he was going to go after Foster first, for a second.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and my sons guinea pig has just died and im feeling a bit sad, so this thread has sent me over the edge

its a shame about the quarrys

i love boxing but i am keeping my kids well away from it

no matter what anyone says, being punched in the head repeatedly at any level cant be good for you and must have some sort of affect
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Quarry

Looked up to his older brother Jerry. So much so, that Mike would only have Jerry as
    his Trainer.

why is he jogging in his best shirt and jeans?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    What a fucking weirdo. Making up history and quotes that nobody gives a shit about or reads except you. Awful lonely in here...

SMH
    I'm reading it. You're reading it. Fact! As Fenster would say.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before that bout with Bob Foster.

Mike Quarry was making all sorts of 'bold predictions', like >
    > That he was going to knock Bob Foster out.
    > Send him out of the Ring flying thru the Ropes.
    > Break that 'reed' in half.

Mike came into the Ring as a {6-1} 'Underdog', but Mike was very confident and 'cocky'.

Mike held his own for 3-Rounds, and actually won Round 3 on Judge - Art Lurie's Scorecard {5-4}.

In the corner after Round 3, Mike was laughing with his corner-people, and could be
    overhead saying > "This is fun."

Then at the end of Round 4 ........ 'BOOOM' > The lights went out.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-14-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Mike Quarry

his Trainer.

why is he jogging in his best shirt and jeans?
    1970s California Haute Couture!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Originally billed as >

'Double Jeopardy'

then

'The Soul Brothers' versus 'The Quarry Brothers'

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

June 27, 1972

Bob Foster vs. Mike Quarry ~

General Facts

* Mike Quarry was the 'youngest' Light-Heavyweight to challenge for the World Championship
    * {Age; 21 years, 3 months}

* Mike Quarry had never been floored in 35 previous bouts.

Bob Foster >
    "After Mike hit the canvas I looked at his face. I didn't see his eyes. All I saw was the
    whites, as his eyes rolled back in his head. I thought that he was 'dead'."

"I looked over at my Manager - Lou Viscusi and said > "Oh Shit, I think he's dead Lou."

"Lou looked back at me and said > {"Business is business Bob. Fuck it."}

"But really. Mike was a good fighter. He just didn't match up with me that well. He just
    didn't hit hard enough to be a real good Light-Heavyweight. If there was a 165 lb. Division
    at that time, Mike would have probably been a World Champion in that lighter Division."

~ Beginning Of The End ~

Bob Foster >

"I set my Mike up in Round 4. I baited him to come in and trade. Then at the end of the Round,
    I threw a right to the body, and a right-uppercut to the jaw to lift his chin up. Then 'Boom', the
    left hook. He was 'out' before he hit the floor."

Lou Viscusi >

"We never thought that Mike would give Bob any problems, much less a competitive fight.
    He's a good kid, but this is a 'hurting business' that were in. Nobody wants to see anybody
    get badly hurt, but damn that kid took a bad punch."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-15-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck Hamilton >

Mike's record looked so clean before he fought Bob Foster.

'35' fights, and all wins. But the list was thin, as the only quality opponent Mike
    fought was 34 1/2 year-old Jimmy 'The Cat' Dupree.

And in that bout, Mike nearly got knocked out in Round 5, before they stopped
    it because of an 'accidental head-butt'. Mike got real lucky that night.

But though Mike was 'undefeated', he had fought a lot of Rounds, as he only had
    {11 KO's} in those 35 bouts.

He had about 250 Rounds in the Ring, which was a lot for 3 years. He was already
    looking 'frayed' around the edges.

And, Mike was taking chances with these guys. Instead of boxing them, he tried to be
    entertaining for the fans, and slugged it out with these Club-Fighters. He was taking
    too many punches in these 'mini' slugfests, when he should have been boxing these
    wild-swingers from the outside.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 05-15-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Thread Information