Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you bet on Boxing and which sites do you use?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many of you bet on Boxing and which sites do you use?

I am not a successful gambler. I always bet with my heart. I can't bring myself to bet against a team or boxer I like. With spreads I hate when your team wins but you still lose.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Boxing presents so many betting opportunities, I personally have not paid a bookie any money since boxing day 2011. I bet on horses, sometimes football but mostly boxing.

Boxing is easy, if some fool promoter puts Audley Harison up against Wilder can't you work it out? Similarly the last Cleverly mismatch (the other way round this time) was absolutely too good to miss.

If you are confident your man is going to win then back 80 percent of your stash on the straight win. Punt the remaining 20 percent on round betting.

Simple strokes, there is so much bullshit and hype around boxing, and so few useless journos in the main papers that the odds are sometimes quite ridiculous.

You have to work out which are genuine 50 50 fights, there are surprisingly few, groves froch is the only one this year. .

Completely retarded!

Why would you bet on outright wins? Are you serious? That's where all the risk is.

Haye is 1/4 fav against fury so if you bet say £20 on the outright win you end up with £25 which is shocking return if you bet £20.

Risk losing £20 to win £25? Absolutely ridiculous.

The skill is in predicting how the fight will end or when the fight will end.

Predicting Haye to win in rounds 2, 3, 4, at 12/1, 10/1 and 10/1 respectively, now split your £20 between the 3 bets and stick a couple of safe ones on Fury.

£4 - 12/1 Haye round 2 - return = £52
    £5 - 10/1 Haye round 3 - return = £55
    £5 - 10/1 Haye round 4 - return = £55
    £3 - 40/1 Fury round 9 - return = £123
    £3 - 50/1 Fury round 10 - return = £153

Profit in all. And now you're risking £20 to win anything from £52 - £153.

If you're gonna bet an outright winner it needs to be the underdog, but again that comes with even more risk.
    Vendettos you are wrong too. There is a lot more margin in the round betting then in match betting so in the long run playing your type of bets will lose a lot more then playing neggetts type of bets. However, in the long run you will both lose money unless you are getting the price right.
    I'm not wrong and I snigger at you for saying so.

Firstly, I am good at predicting the round, which is half the battle.

Secondly, YES you will lose money if you don't have a clue about boxing, but again I must point out that I AM GOOD at predicting the round.

If you predict it and don't get it right once in 100 fights...... quit.

Not only do I predict it but if I don't get it right for 2 fights, and I get it right on fight 3 I always cover my losses.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 09-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I also think that because boxing is a niche sport, more opportunities present themselves for a boxing expert to more accurately value a fight than the bookies. Agree?
    Name me a boxing "expert?"
    @Fenster - You.
    Cheeky sod.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should have entered the prediction contest if you're good at picking rounds.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Were is this boxing expert, I can't wait till he gets here.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Were is this boxing expert, I can't wait till he gets here.
    There's loads of boxing experts on here.... aftertimers and hindsight merchants but still

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem you have with that betting strategy is the other outcomes that could occur. There are many. Although less likely, any gambler knows they can and will come up.

You've covered about 6 of 30 different eventualities. With the most likely return just over double your stake. I doubt you would have an every other or better hit rate to make it profitable long term. I've tried to arb the round betting loads of times and it just doesnt work either, winning on points normally screws the numbers.

I agree with you there is no value in the odds on favourite bets, although sometimes there is good value laying the bet on betfair because the odds are too short.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    The problem you have with that betting strategy is the other outcomes that could occur. There are many. Although less likely, any gambler knows they can and will come up.

You've covered about 6 of 30 different eventualities. With the most likely return just over double your stake. I doubt you would have an every other or better hit rate to make it profitable long term. I've tried to arb the round betting loads of times and it just doesnt work either, winning on points normally screws the numbers.

I agree with you there is no value in the odds on favourite bets, although sometimes there is good value laying the bet on betfair because the odds are too short.
    Well then you are not arbing because if you arb you guarantee yourself no loss. There is loads of value in match betting. You just have to know your odds. For example my latest good value loser. I backed Malik Scott at 4/1 and 5/2 to beat Dereck Chisora. It lost but the price did not reflect his chances of winning the fight. I could have guaranteed a profit by backing Chisora at 6/5 the day of the fight

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well then you are not arbing because if you arb you guarantee yourself no loss. There is loads of value in match betting. You just have to know your odds. For example my latest good value loser. I backed Malik Scott at 4/1 and 5/2 to beat Dereck Chisora. It lost but the price did not reflect his chances of winning the fight. I could have guaranteed a profit by backing Chisora at 6/5 the day of the fight

That is why I wasn't arbing, as the numbers didn't add up!

A good strategy if you are into trading is to lay the favourite in a fight you know is much tougher than is being predicted, then as the war starts going, the odds get bigger and you can back the selection to win to lock in a profit.

If I was doing that bet of yours, I would have left off the Fury KO'S (as fun as they are to be on there) and have done a lay bet on Haye at Betfair. If you risk £4 on that, you would get your £20 back if anything happens but a Haye win. You could then do 8 £2 round bets, so a bigger spread, more chance of winning, and potentially some small winnings of say £4 - £15. But because I'm cautious, I'd probably put £5 on Haye points, then only do 5 small stoppage bets.

Smaller margins, but less chance of losing which is the whole point. Small and steady profits are the way forward, the alternative is that you win big on occasions, lose often and end up long term losing your betting pot. That way is more fun, but I think over the years, the bookies will always win on the bets that seem value.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You will winni the long run if you are actually getting value. Before you start betting you should start pricing the fights yourself to what you think is fair. They should add up to 100%. If you can get a price bigger then ur 100% u should add it to a sheet and keep track of how you do over say 200 bets. If you are up start betting. If your down work on your pricing. The majority of people will lose about 8% of their total stake. If you are playing round betting u will likely lose more.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good strategy if you are into trading is to lay the favourite in a fight you know is much tougher than is being predicted, then as the war starts going, the odds get bigger and you can back the selection to win to lock in a profit.

If I was doing that bet of yours, I would have left off the Fury KO'S (as fun as they are to be on there) and have done a lay bet on Haye at Betfair. If you risk £4 on that, you would get your £20 back if anything happens but a Haye win. You could then do 8 £2 round bets, so a bigger spread, more chance of winning, and potentially some small winnings of say £4 - £15. But because I'm cautious, I'd probably put £5 on Haye points, then only do 5 small stoppage bets.

Smaller margins, but less chance of losing which is the whole point. Small and steady profits are the way forward, the alternative is that you win big on occasions, lose often and end up long term losing your betting pot. That way is more fun, but I think over the years, the bookies will always win on the bets that seem value.
    @Silkeyjoe - will you please help me understand your "arb" point with more explanation?

Isn't the case that you lose if Fury beats Haye by anything other than a ninth or tenth round KO and if Haye knocks Fury out late or loses on points?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Silkeyjoe - will you please help me understand your "arb" point with more explanation?

Isn't the case that you lose if Fury beats Haye by anything other than a ninth or tenth round KO and if Haye knocks Fury out late or loses on points?
    Google the definition of Gambling fella.

There is always the possibility you'll lose. It's not a full time job.

The skill is in having enough knowledge to predict the outcome correctly.

I have more chance of winning than my dad who knows fuck all about boxing.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 09-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is "value" in betting odds on. If you think a fighter is a 1/4 shot and 1/2 is offered you clearly have a "value" bet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is "value" in betting odds on. If you think a fighter is a 1/4 shot and 1/2 is offered you clearly have a "value" bet.
    So @Fenster, are you saying that from experience you (personally) begin to articulate an expectation of what the odds might/ should look like?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    So @Fenster, are you saying that from experience you (personally) begin to articulate an expectation of what the odds might/ should look like?
    Exactly.

Before I see what the bookmakers prices are I've already made my own price. So in real simple terms - If I make a fighter a 2/1 chance, once the bookies reveal their prices, if it's bigger than mine i'll bet, if it's shorter I wont.

If you are betting longterm, It doesn't matter WHO wins, it just matters whether or not you have the "correct" price (which can differ from one "expert" to another )

Thread Information