Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Right jab vs. Right cross

I've heard some people talk of the right jab (or a rear-handed jab). I was wondering how this differs from a straight right/right cross? In what situation would you use a rear-handed jab? What are the advantages? And how do you throw it?

I need to work on throwing my right more. I usually have trouble with distance, so I reach alot, so I end up not throwing it much. My problem is both with set-up and range I think. And my trainer and partners always remark about the power of it whenever it does land- which is not often.

Any ideas on how to use a right jab to make my rear hand more active??

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Right jab vs. Right cross

There is a punch I've been working on, and ironically learned it off an MMA guy who comes to out gym for stand up. When you mention reaching, this is mostly when my right would score, overhand, or maybe off a combo. But not ever really in close. This guy last time we sparred kept catching me with this short fight hand. Often off nothing other then a block or parry. Hurt like hell and was effective.

So been practicing it, off the block and parry. Soon as the block or parry is made, all in one moton, usually with your body turning to the right, quick step back left short straight right, turning it over quickly. In turn, been just nailing anyone I spar with it lately. Has a lot of snap and as it comes off a defensive move, is great for in close.

A bit off track and maybe more of a cross, but not really set up as a standard cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    There is a punch I've been working on, and ironically learned it off an MMA guy who comes to out gym for stand up. When you mention reaching, this is mostly when my right would score, overhand, or maybe off a combo. But not ever really in close. This guy last time we sparred kept catching me with this short fight hand. Often off nothing other then a block or parry. Hurt like hell and was effective.

So been practicing it, off the block and parry. Soon as the block or parry is made, all in one moton, usually with your body turning to the right, quick step back left short straight right, turning it over quickly. In turn, been just nailing anyone I spar with it lately. Has a lot of snap and as it comes off a defensive move, is great for in close.

A bit off track and maybe more of a cross, but not really set up as a standard cross.

So as you parry an incoming jab, your body is turning to the right- kind of like a shoulder roll- while you are swatting away the punch with your right glove. Then immediatly you turn your body back left with a quick step and a short right hand.

I'm going to try this. I always have trouble with the standard parry/counter right. I guess the key to this one is to be in close also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    I've heard some people talk of the right jab (or a rear-handed jab). I was wondering how this differs from a straight right/right cross? In what situation would you use a rear-handed jab? What are the advantages? And how do you throw it?

I need to work on throwing my right more. I usually have trouble with distance, so I reach alot, so I end up not throwing it much. My problem is both with set-up and range I think. And my trainer and partners always remark about the power of it whenever it does land- which is not often.

Any ideas on how to use a right jab to make my rear hand more active??
    A rear-handed jab? There's no such thing. Unless you're bringing your rear foot forward such as in a drop-shift, your right-jab would then serve as more of a set-up punch for your left.

A southpaw's right jab does not compare to an orthodox fighter's right cross in terms of power.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you talking about a straight righthand from a conventional stance that acts as sort of a jab or range establishing punch? I think James Buster Douglas perfected a punch like this, but like you said it was a punch that was thrown in closer range and not at distance after a series of punches on his way back to distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never looked as a power hand as a jab hand but if you switch to a southpaw stance and use it then it could be a right jab. Maybe I am missing something.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can use it as you switch going back, not a good idea going forward. Its handy going back.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    You can use it as you switch going back, not a good idea going forward. Its handy going back.
    I agree; Chris mentioned above that to bring the back foot forward puts it into play but thats a hell of a commitment if your on the chase and you can do that with saftey ,good luck to you, cause you're either real good or got lucky.

Cause when you switch theres a brief opening straight down your pipe.

Like you mention Scrap; you take the left foot back and throw the right rear straight which then becomes the front hand.

Thats a safe way to switch cause you are taking your head out of range and because you do it on their overcommited or lunging left jab your rear arm can be unseen by them.
    Ive even checked a long left with my left glove at my chin on the half way point and as my left lands back attacked under their left arm into the elbow point with my right like a 45% rising uppercut then stepped right away fromtheir right hand and gone in with a double hook. Its a nasty move if they are vertical fisted, think about it, you can lock their arm.You can also widen your stance as you land and throw aright bomb over the top of it and then get out of there.
    If you've switched out of trouble a few times and they then follow you wholly committed trying to get the opening you create you can knowingly land 3/4 square and turn your feet on a 45% angle so your right hip is behind your shot and it comes like a heat seeking missile interrupting their movement.Takes alot of practice, in mma you can land a flat palm into their face like a top sign or straight fingers to the throaght then strike for real as they react.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll use it Andre, when switching up to set up a diff look counter. I used to switch up alot more then I do know, but did it fairly regularly. Just switch quickly, jabbing with the right in the process (soon as left foot is behind obv), more as a range finder to set up a hard straight left/overhand/or left hook while moving both backwards and to the right. That prob sounds more complicated then it really is. I suppose it could be dangerous, but it never really gave a lot of probs as do it going backwards before a pivot to engage the left.

Dunno. I think if you spend a lot of time working out of both sides in sparring the transition becomes less dangerous and more natural.

El Kabong Guest

Vitali Klitschko uses a right "jab" sometimes...he uses it when he's not sitting down on the punch or triples up on the right hand just trying to score points and open up a defense...he usually follows it up with one of those golfing right uppercuts.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I'll use it Andre, when switching up to set up a diff look counter. I used to switch up alot more then I do know, but did it fairly regularly. Just switch quickly, jabbing with the right in the process (soon as left foot is behind obv), more as a range finder to set up a hard straight left/overhand/or left hook while moving both backwards and to the right. That prob sounds more complicated then it really is. I suppose it could be dangerous, but it never really gave a lot of probs as do it going backwards before a pivot to engage the left.

Dunno. I think if you spend a lot of time working out of both sides in sparring the transition becomes less dangerous and more natural.
    Think your right,to switch directly in front of someone is asking for trouble.

Study where and when its safe and then you can start to use it for a benefit off a couple of their bigger moves.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information