Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

I realise its a mental strategy to prepare for the fight but couldn't it wait till during the day?

Surely a goodnights sleep is the most important thing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

Not all boxers do. Tyson used to get up early because he said it gave him the psycological edge over his opponent knowing they weren't doing it.

Also the air is cleaner at that time due to less traffic and therefore less polution to the lungs and cleaner breathing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^Good answer.

I always wondered this myself, surely if you are putting your body through the kind of physical and emotional stress one goes through while training for a fighter, a good night's sleep would be essential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its a psycological thing.

I preffer a good nights sleep tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Not all boxers do. Tyson used to get up early because he said it gave him the psycological edge over his opponent knowing they weren't doing it.

Also the air is cleaner at that time due to less traffic and therefore less polution to the lungs and cleaner breathing.

That is right on the money. Do you realize how much shit is in the air at 4:30 in the afternoon as opposed to 4:30 in the morning.I don't want to get all global warming happy on ya but do the math this is the main reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

That is right on the money. Do you realize how much shit is in the air at 4:30 in the afternoon as opposed to 4:30 in the morning.I don't want to get all global warming happy on ya but do the math this is the main reason.
    Fighters have been running in the morning for years even before pollution was invented
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.
    I never knew this. Rep for teaching me something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They like to steal milk off doorsteps.

Since people buy it in the shops now, early morning runs are less popular.

"I listen to my body" is their excuse now !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's also much cooler at night or early in the morning. I couldn't jog in the heat, i overheated and found it much too uncomfortable and unhealthy,so i started jogging in the evening or nighttime when the sun went down.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    It's also much cooler at night or early in the morning. I couldn't jog in the heat, i overheated and found it much too uncomfortable and unhealthy,so i started jogging in the evening or nighttime when the sun went down.

This is what I thought. I'm not exactly Manny Pacquiao but I do do a fair bit of running and when I do I like it to be before 7 AM just because it's cooler then and jogging in the heat sucks especially when you live at altitude like me. I can see the cutting weight thing, I personally don't go out without at the very least a banana or something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post

This is what I thought. I'm not exactly Manny Pacquiao but I do do a fair bit of running and when I do I like it to be before 7 AM just because it's cooler then and jogging in the heat sucks especially when you live at altitude like me. I can see the cutting weight thing, I personally don't go out without at the very least a banana or something.
    Bananas are very good for having before a run too as they are a fast source of energy and easy to burn off.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dunno. Sometimes I wake up at 4:30, but it is usually to go for a pee then right back to bed. I suppose the smog factor isa factor depending on where you live, but I live on the shores of Lake Superior so can pretty much get the best air on the planet on any given breath.

If it gives someone a psychological edge, so be it. I'd rather run rested, nourished and ready.

p.s. I think The Fightfans avatar is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most people think they shouldnt eat before exercise because they will burn more fat and calories that way. While this is somewhat true, and can be usefull when trying to cut weight fast (like donny said), it can also force your body into a catabolic state (again like donny said). Besides, you dont burn that much fat/calories during an hour or two of exercise. You lose fat because the exercise causes a boost in your metabolism. Which causes the body to burn calories faster, and use food as fuel much better for hours after exercise. This way there is much less catabolizing of your hard earned muscle.

I personally like to eat a solid meal about an hour and a half before a workout, but i know a lot of people that like to have a small meal of quick carbs (gateorade, fruit or juice) and fast protein (whey) about half hour before a workout.

This is especially true for anyone trying to add muscle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I dont see why you can't just wake up at normal time and do your running before breakfast.
    Same thing

Thread Information