Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Legendary actor Kirk Douglas celebrates 100th birthday

Too often we start threads about death of legends but here is one we should celebrate.

Known for his iconic movie roles and charismatic persona, legendary actor Kirk Douglas has been in the spotlight since the 1940s. As the actor celebrates his milestone 100th birthday today (9 December).

Douglas was born as Issur Danielovitch in Amsterdam, New York, U.S., on Dec. 9, 1916. His parents Bryna and Herschel Danielovitch were Jewish immigrants from Chavusy, Mahilyow Voblast (now in Belarus). An exceptional student and a keen athlete, he developed an interest in acting after taking part in school plays. His skills were later honed at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.

Just before enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1941, Danielovitch legally changed his name to Kirk Douglas. Three years later, he was medically discharged due to war injuries.

After returning from World War II, Douglas started working in radio, theatre and commercials. He finally got his big break in Hal Wallis’ film “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers” (1946), opposite Barbara Stanwyck. His portrayal of a young, alcoholic man married to a domineering, older woman was widely lauded.

Following the rave reviews, Douglas' career took off and he worked in a number of films such as “Out of the Past” (1947, pictured), “Mourning Becomes Electra” (1947), “The Walls of Jericho” (194, “My Dear Secretary” (194 and “A Letter to Three Wives” (1949).

The actor earned his first Academy Award nomination for the film “Champion” (1949), in which he played a selfish boxer.

Douglas’ stature as a major box-office star was firmly established during the 1950s and 1960s. “Young Man with a Horn” (1950), “Along the Great Divide” (1951) and “Ace in the Hole” (1951, pictured), which won the Best Foreign Film Award at the Venice Film Festival and “Detective Story” (1951) were some of his memorable films from the early 1950s.

The actor received his second Best Actor Oscar nomination for “The Bad and the Beautiful” (1952), which co-starred Lana Turner.

In 1955, Douglas formed his own film company, Bryna Productions. Named after his mother, it produced films such as “Paths of Glory” (1957), “The Vikings” (195 (pictured), “Spartacus” (1960), “Lonely are the Brave” (1962) and “Seven Days in May” (1964) — he starred in all of them.

The actor’s portrayal of Vincent van Gogh in Vincente Minnelli’s “Lust for Life” (1956) was well appreciated by critics. Douglas received his third Best Actor nomination at the Academy Awards.

The actor created history in 1960 when he worked with — and gave full credit to — screenwriter Dalton Trumbo in the film “Spartacus” and thereby, bringing an end to the Hollywood blacklist — a practice which denied employment to screenwriters, actors, directors, musicians in the mid-20th century accused of supporting or having communist ties.

Apart from his numerous film roles during the 1960s, Douglas also starred in a Broadway production of Ken Kesey’s “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” in 1963. It was later made into a feature film, produced by Douglas’ son Michael Douglas. The movie, starring Jack Nicholson, won five Oscars in 1976.

The cleft-chinned actor was known for playing military men in many of his films such as “Town Without Pity” (1961, pictured), “The Hook” (1963), “Heroes of Telemark” (1965) and “Is Paris Burning?” (1966).
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Legendary actor Kirk Douglas celebrates 100th birthday

A few of Douglas’ memorable work in the 1960s include films such as “The List of Adrian Messenger” (1963), “For Love or Money” (1963), “The Way West” (1967) and “The Arrangement” (1969, pictured).

The actor’s film appearances were limited in the 1970s. Some notable mentions include “There Was a Crooked Man…” (1970, pictured), “To Catch a Spy” (1971), “The Master Touch” (1972) and “The Fury” (197.

In 1973, the actor made his directorial debut with the film “Scalawag.”

Two years later, Douglas directed his second and final film “Posse” (1975). It premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival, where the actor was nominated for the Golden Bear.

Douglas continued to act in films throughout the 1980s. “Saturn 3” (1980, pictured), “The Final Countdown” (1980), “The Man from Snowy River” (1982), “Eddie Macon’s Run” (1983) and “Draw!” (1984) were some of his movies from that decade.

In 1986, the actor appeared alongside his longtime co-star Burt Lancaster (L) in a crime comedy “Tough Guys.” The duo had earlier worked in movies such as “I Walk Alone” (194, “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral” (1957), “Seven Days in May” (1964) and “Victory at Entebbe” (1976).

In the 1990s, Douglas acted in films such as “Oscar” (1991) and “Greedy” (1994, pictured). He also appeared in different TV movies and documentaries including “The Secret” (1992) and “A Century of Cinema” (1994).

A severe stroke in 1996 impaired Douglas’ ability to speak. However, after undergoing years of voice therapy, he returned to movies and starred in “Diamonds” (1999) along with his longtime friend Lauren Bacall.

The veteran actor’s few projects in the 2000s included films such as “It Runs in the Family” (2002), which saw several members of the Douglas family and “Illusion” (2004). He was also seen in the documentary “Mel Blanc: The Man of a Thousand Voices” in 2008.

In 2009, Douglas performed an autobiographical one-man show “Before I Forget” in Culver City, California, U.S. The four acts were later turned into a documentary, which was screened in January 2010.

Douglas has also authored a number of books, including his autobiography “The Ragman’s Son” (198.

A dedicated philanthropist and humanitarian, Douglas has been a Goodwill Ambassador for the U.S. State Department since 1963. For his work, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1981 as well as the Jefferson Award in 1983.

The actor has married twice. His first wife was Diana Dill from 1943 to 1951, with whom he has two sons — actor Michael Douglas and producer Joel Douglas.

After his divorce with Dill, he married actress and producer Anne Budyens in 1954. The couple has two sons — producer Peter Douglas and actor Eric Douglas, who passed away in 2004. In an article for Closer Weekly magazine the actor revealed that it is his wife Anne that keeps him going after 100 years. He wrote, "I was lucky enough to find my soulmate 63 years ago."

The actor has married twice. His first wife was Diana Dill from 1943 to 1951, with whom he has two sons — actor Michael Douglas and producer Joel Douglas.
    Last edited by Master; 12-10-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirk survived helicopter crash 1999. What a legend.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Legend among legends!

His performance in Kubrick's Paths of Glory will always be one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I confess when I was young I could not tell the difference between Douglas and Burt Lancaster.

El Kabong Guest

Great actor, been in some great movies!

'Out of The Past' with Robert Mitchum is a classic, 'Paths of Glory' and 'Spartacus' 2 Kubrick classics, 'The Bad and The Beautiful' fucking brilliant, 'Lust For Life' as Van Gogh, 'Gunfight at the O.K. Corral' as Doc Holiday.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spartacus and Vikings (why Tony Curtis kills him in the end I do not know).

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Because Tony Curtis is a fag

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I never liked Curtis because of that film. Curtis taste in big breasted women was good because it gave us his daughter.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And for somebody 100 years old, he's quite lucid, it's surprising, I'd see myself, at this age, as a grumpy senile old man with 3-4 old histories on a loop and repeat.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than stroke which caused him to have speech problems I think he is nimble.

I am sure you will hit 100 @Nameless and have all your faculties in place.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than stroke which caused him to have speech problems I think he is nimble.

I am sure you will hit 100 @Nameless and have all your faculties in place.
    With bio techs and nanobots, perhaps... perhaps... and I could then fulfill my dream to become the oldest pirate on the 7 seas.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's an outstanding innings. I understand how reptilians do it. But for the ordinary rockstar and working class type it is much harder. If I make it to the bog standard 70 which is the limit in my tired gene pool I will be very happy. 100 is incredible.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I never liked Curtis because of that film. Curtis taste in big breasted women was good because it gave us his daughter.
    Because it was based on a true story and Spartacus dies in it

Thread Information