Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Hearn IS Boxings main man.!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eddie Hearn IS Boxings main man.!!

Eddie Hearn is boxing’s main man, but never write off Frank Warren
    The Matchroom promoter would be unwise to rest on his laurels despite the acquisition of rising star George Groves
    Tuesday 05 March 2013 by John Wight Printable Email
    Boxing comment: It's a fair bet that promoter Frank Warren has had better weeks. The cancellation of his “Rule Britannia” promotion, originally scheduled to take place on March 16 at Wembley, has sparked rumours of serious financial difficulties within his operation and rumblings of discontent among many of his fighters.

Adding to the speculation is the high-profile defection of George Groves to Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom stable, a move that will have undoubtedly hurt Warren given the fierce rivalry that exists between the promoters.

Hearn, whose old man Barry tussled with Warren when he was in the game, is currently boxing’s man of the moment. He is riding high with his Sky TV deal, Prizefighter series, and a promotional and management stable made up of a who’s who of top British and world boxing talent.

Ricky Burns’s manager Alex Morrison articulated his bitter disappointment at the late cancellation of his fighter’s unification battle against Mexico’s Miguel Vazquez, which was scheduled for the March show. He said: “We are very unhappy with this latest postponement, especially after the fight was called off in December (against Jose Ocampo). Now this. This is unacceptable.

“I spoke to Ricky this morning. As you can imagine he’s upset. He’s sacrificed a lot, training and the cost of sparring partners. That’s about £12,000 of his own money in training costs he’s now down over the last two fights. The treatment of him is pretty disrespectful.”

According to Warren, the card has been moved back to April 20 and will go ahead at Wembley as planned on that date instead.

The reason given for its postponement is a viral infection picked up by Vazquez. On his website, Warren has posted a link to a doctor’s report to support this claim.

However the rumour mill has gone into overdrive, prompting a welter of angry and accusatory tweets by various high-profile figures in the game over the past few days.

Hearn has not only just landed a major coup with the signing of Groves, he has announced that he is about to make another major signing. There were rumours that this might be Burns, but Hearn has denied them, saying, “We haven’t had that conversation, and until I receive confirmation that nobody’s connected to him, I won’t talk to him.”

He went on, “Would we be interested in signing Ricky Burns? Absolutely. Would we be interested in signing Nathan Cleverly? Absolutely. But there’s only so many fighters we can take on now. We’re going to announce another signing this week — and, no, not (Vasyl) Lomachenko, and not a world champion. British champion? Perhaps.

“He’ll be chief support on April 20 to Brian Rose at Blackpool — that’ll be his first one out, and we’ll do something with him in June. Probably there will be (a signing) this week and one next week, I would think. After that, we might close up shop.”

With regard to his rivalry with Warren, the young and undoubtedly charismatic Hearn had this to say: “I don’t have to slag Warren off, or any other promoter. If the fighters want to leave a certain promoter and join us, I’m over the moon.

“It doesn’t matter why a fighter would choose to leave a certain promoter. But I’m going to make certain we get the best ones.”

It is impossible to miss the tone of triumphalism in Hearn’s words in putting one over his rival. This is perhaps understandable given the week’s events.

However he should be careful not to lapse into hubris in the process, as even a cursory examination of the history of this most precarious business reveals that the margin between success and failure is paper thin.

Most promoters, fighters and managers are only one or two bad promotions or fights away from failure, and no-one, not even someone as indisputably able as Hearn, is immune from finding themselves eating their words.

Warren is no mug. He has been at the forefront of professional boxing on the national and international stage for over three decades.

In that time he has survived being shot and multiple court battles, and has dealt with more sharks than Jaws. Only a fool would venture to write him off or underestimate his ability to bounce back.

Meanwhile, the defection of Groves to Matchroom opens up the tantalising prospect of a future world title fight between him and Carl Froch in the not too distant future. Groves will have his first outing as a Matchroom fighter this Saturday at Wembley Arena against Argentina’s Dario German Balmaceda in a bout that will be broadcast live on Sky.

On his decision to sign with Matchroom, the current British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion, said, “I am really excited. It is a great move for me. I am excited about boxing this Saturday.”

On the possibility of a future fight against Carl Froch, he said, “I’m ranked No 1 with the WBO and Abraham v Steiglitz fight for that in a few weeks, so I’ll be keeping a keen eye on that.

“I’ll have just as close an eye on the Froch v Kessler fight, as I really believe I could get a crack at the winner and I think Eddie knows I want that fight, so it ties in nicely.”

Indeed it does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eddie Hearn IS Boxings main man.!!

Wouldn't surprise me if he signed Scott Quigg even with Frampton on the books.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scott Quigg needs to leave Hatton promotions IMO, he's just not fighting enough with them, he really could do with having Hearn as his promoter. I think every decent British fighter could do with having Hearn though, he really is the best in the promoter in the country.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not mind Eddie but he is on sky it looks I chose beta max when i should have chosen vhs.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great read.

Hope Warren goes under.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well he's just lost Burns ( I think its nailed on he joins Matchroom) so really what's he got left...Cleverley ...

Don't look to good him, Boxnation is shit too and in a load of debt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not even a huge clev fan burns leaving is probably my final straw to fuck nation off and get sky again!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    Scott Quigg needs to leave Hatton promotions IMO, he's just not fighting enough with them, he really could do with having Hearn as his promoter. I think every decent British fighter could do with having Hearn though, he really is the best in the promoter in the country.
    i personally think quigg has done preety good out of hatton, right fights at the right time

if i was him at least for the time being id stay put
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ive just had to stop Boxnation coz ive gone to virgin from sky

i doubt i will be signing up again

whats with david price on boxnation? I know he is on it but is he contracted or anything? could he fight on sky if he wanted?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    ive just had to stop Boxnation coz ive gone to virgin from sky

i doubt i will be signing up again

whats with david price on boxnation? I know he is on it but is he contracted or anything? could he fight on sky if he wanted?
    Not contracted as far as I know, but if he wanted on Sky, he'd have to contact Hearn. Frank Maloney had his Sky deal cancelled and when he asked what he'd have to do to get back on, he was told to contact Eddie Hearn. He threw his dummy out and went elsewhere saying Hearn knew nothing about Boxing.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/mobi...asp?blogID=879

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doing a bit of research, it looks like Maloney doesn't hold a grudge with Sky and still speaks to them, but Sky have an exclusive deal with Matchroom.

Frank Maloney: Losing Sky contract lit the fire under me | Boxing News Online

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With a genius dad it was only a matter of time before Eddie became top dog once he went all-in on boxing.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I do not mind Eddie but he is on sky it looks I chose beta max when i should have chosen vhs.
    I think that quote just about sums you up really
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all down to darts. Obviously football is Sky's bigest selling point but believe it or not two highly physically-conditioned athletes throwing tungsten darts at a board is Sky's second-biggest seller. Matchroom own darts so this gives Hearn massive leverage when it comes to negotiating contracts. No doubt Hearn told Sky to make him exclusive and within a year or two he'd have every major British boxer, and that's how it's worked out.

Warren is in big trouble. He only started Box Nation because he couldn't get a TV deal when Sky booted him and apparently it's losing massive money. Who's going to subscribe to watch Nathan Cleverley (until he fucks off), Sauerland cards and US shows that start at 2am? (Actually me for the US shows but after the Hopkins fight the next and only one scheduled is the Garcia fight at the end of next mionth.)

But it's going under, it's only a matter of time and then it looks like Warren is finished unless he manages a rabbit/hat scenario. But where is a TV deal coming from? If one is available Golden Boy will be after it too and they've got top fighters they can show. When he does retire Warren's book is going to be a big seller, I'll be buying a copy.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    It's all down to darts. Obviously football is Sky's bigest selling point but believe it or not two highly physically-conditioned athletes throwing tungsten darts at a board is Sky's second-biggest seller. Matchroom own darts so this gives Hearn massive leverage when it comes to negotiating contracts. No doubt Hearn told Sky to make him exclusive and within a year or two he'd have every major British boxer, and that's how it's worked out.

Warren is in big trouble. He only started Box Nation because he couldn't get a TV deal when Sky booted him and apparently it's losing massive money. Who's going to subscribe to watch Nathan Cleverley (until he fucks off), Sauerland cards and US shows that start at 2am? (Actually me for the US shows but after the Hopkins fight the next and only one scheduled is the Garcia fight at the end of next mionth.)

But it's going under, it's only a matter of time and then it looks like Warren is finished unless he manages a rabbit/hat scenario. But where is a TV deal coming from? If one is available Golden Boy will be after it too and they've got top fighters they can show. When he does retire Warren's book is going to be a big seller, I'll be buying a copy.

Yeah Warren has been brilliant over the years and no one can knock him for that,

Started off Promoting his Cousin (Legendary Hardman Lenny Mclean) in the unlicensed world back in the day

Every Dog has his day but Hearn is a breath of fresh air and i hear is very pally with Golden Boy promotions too.

I see boxing going the way of the Super 6 - Prizefighter style in the next 10 years.

IMO that would guarantee massive ratings and excitement and i think Hearn is wise enough to have already noted this.

I also think to a certain degree he's still his dads 'puppet' too

All in all very good for boxing which needs a huge kick in the ass as UFC continues to dominate (viewing wise) Combat Sports massively worldwide

Thread Information