Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Advice on new gloves

My current gloves served their purpose, 16oz standard bottom of the range Lonsdale gloves. Now things are getting more serious and my hands are getting more battered, it's time for me to invest in some new gloves.

They will be mostly for bags, pads and sparring, so need to be multi purpose.

It turns out that after working in an office for years, my hands are pretty weak and shit. They get hurt easy, especially now I'm punching correctly and harder, same for my wrist, it's fine now, but gets injured easily, so hand protection is my priority.

These are currently top of my list, the 14oz versions, they are leather and seem to give decent protection. I've tried on the 16oz versions, but they were massive, just too big and heavy. I'm hoping the smaller ones will be a but easier to work with.

Everlast | Everlast Leather Pro 3 Boxing Gloves | Boxing Gloves and Headguards

Any advice on these, or suggestions on others?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Advice on new gloves

I would go to a store a try a few out, hard to order online, better try them yourself. everlast works perfect for me but i know other people who struggle with them, doesn't fit and very uncomfterble, its different to every person. so my tips is to go to a store and try a few out, just to get a feel for them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that's a good idea, the store did say I can get them delivered there and then try them on, the downside is that for each pair I want to try, I need to pay for them to get them delivered to the shop! The selection in the shop was only the bottom end cheap and nasty stuff.

I've heard the slight bend in the wrist to glove part causes some issues, but I've also heard people say it helps them turn their shots in, so actually helped.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Yeah that's a good idea, the store did say I can get them delivered there and then try them on, the downside is that for each pair I want to try, I need to pay for them to get them delivered to the shop! The selection in the shop was only the bottom end cheap and nasty stuff.

I've heard the slight bend in the wrist to glove part causes some issues, but I've also heard people say it helps them turn their shots in, so actually helped.
    Where is that then mate ? Not a lot of any sports shops to choose from down here anymore. Did you go to the white collar boxing charity event at the Guildhall on Saturday ?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sports direct that was from @Greenbeanz, but like you say, there is a choice between them and..... er..... tesco?

I couldn't go as had other stuff on, heard it was a decent night. I'll be going to the next EFS show end of August as know loads of the fighters, can get VIP tickets if you wanted to come and avoid the riff raff!

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sports direct that was from @Greenbeanz , but like you say, there is a choice between them and..... er..... tesco?

I couldn't go as had other stuff on, heard it was a decent night. I'll be going to the next EFS show end of August as know loads of the fighters, can get VIP tickets if you wanted to come and avoid the riff raff!
    Thanks mate I shall get back to you on that.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well there is a world of new technology out there to give protection to your hands. But did you ever think about working on strength to your hands? Squeezing a tennis ball, slapping a leather bag filled with small rocks or sand daily, soaking your hands in salt brine or pickel juice, chopping wood, or using a shovel without gloves. A lot of these were techniques used over a hundred years ago to toughen the skin and give the hands strength. Now if the pain goes beyond the skin into the bone area, you might need a bone density test (depending on age and health). Some people have frail bones and are prone to injury in the hands more easily then others.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

back in the day fighters trained in gloves that were about 4 or 6 ounces. i don't know when or why fighters started training in big foam gloves. you can't make a fist and when you hit a bag with big foam gloves your punches are popping and bouncing off the bag. your punches are supposed to sink into the bag.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing gloves made of corduroy deliver the best punchlines
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well...
    I am using RDX Sports gears for practicing...RDX sports provide wide range of Boxing,MMA and Mauy Thai etc. gears. RDX sports provide quality product thats why I am a user of RDX sports... I recommend you use RDX Boxing glove....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reyes 16 OZ trainers as a bare minimum if you're shopping for high end products. The other brands like Grant and Winning are more expensive, but on the same category as the Reyes gloves. Otherwise it doesn't really matter much as long as they are made out of real leather and have good wrist protection. I also like the Windy Thai brand lace-ups as well as a cheaper alternative.

By the way does any one have any information here about Pro-Mex and JC Pachecho gloves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are looking for 16 Oz Gloves with really good padding then I would suggest Top Ten Superfight. The ones with the 2 velcro straps. Top Ten has a filling made from one piece of Bayfill padding that absorbs punches like no other material and stays in equal shape forever. They have been tested for up to 400k hits and the material still worked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a pair of the Ringside Sparring Gloves and by far one of the best pairs i owned for the price. They are lace up but you can make them work. Dont confuse them with the training gloves, those suck, get the sparring glove.

The Everlast ones you shared i've owned and they ended up peeling on me about 6 months in of daily use.

Other gloves I heard good things about are the RDX and the Venum

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My current gloves served their purpose, 16oz standard bottom of the range Lonsdale gloves. Now things are getting more serious and my hands are getting more battered, it's time for me to invest in some new gloves.

It turns out that after working in an office for years, my hands are pretty weak and shit. They get hurt easy, especially now I'm punching correctly and harder, same for my wrist, it's fine now, but gets injured easily, so hand protection is my priority.

These are currently top of my list, the 14oz versions, they are leather and seem to give decent protection. I've tried on the 16oz versions, but they were massive, just too big and heavy. I'm hoping the smaller ones will be a but easier to work with.

Everlast | Everlast Leather Pro 3 Boxing Gloves | Boxing Gloves and Headguards

Any advice on these, or suggestions on others?

what r the thumbs on those like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=0james0;1340025]My current gloves served their purpose, 16oz standard bottom of the range Lonsdale gloves. Now things are getting more serious and my hands are getting more battered, it's time for me to invest in some new gloves.

Strengthen your wrists with paraphernalia and well bandage your hands

Thread Information