944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Darren barker, yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Yes I am British and have no objectivity at all. I just blindly follow my jingoistic tendencies and ignore all evidence that contradicts this. Thank you for such a wonderful insight.
    Makes sense, you keep saying Barker will stop fighters that noone else has stopped and the only reason that comes to mind is he is British and you are British. Barker is not a big puncher and to suggest he will stop guys who are a huge step up in class is just silly.

I have no doubt barker won't fight any of these guys because he won't take a risk and will continue to fight bums so u won't be proven wrong
    With respect I am assuming that being a boxnation subscriber you are Irish or possibly British. Being so I thought you would be reasonably familiar with Barker and realise that none of the names mentioned are a huge step up in class. If that were the case Martinez would have wiped the floor with him in a couple of rounds. He is more than ready to take fights that you deem a "risk" and more than capable. You are quite entitled to your opinion I just don't happen to share it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Will Eddie Hearn take a risk and pay enough to get somebody like Geale or Quillin to fight in England? Barker probably wouldn't sell enough tickets to make it viable and I don't think Hearn believes in him enough to come up with the money.
    Hearn's already had fighters, in the past two years, challenge for world titles abroad on other promotions.

Whether he stages the fight or not, unlike FW, it looks like his fighters will take their chances.
    And they've all lost. You make money as a promoter by getting your guys big fights they can win in front of big crowds in events you promote. You take a punt on your guys and pay foreign world champions to come to England and fight your guy when you think your guy can win, which is what Warren's MO has been. Then you cash in promoting your world champion.

Hearn seems quite willing to send his guys abroad to be the opponent fighter on other promoters' bills. The only guy he's so far put the money up to do that with if Froch for the Bute fight and he was helped by the fact that Bute was desperate to fight in Nottingham.
    Either way it's irrelevant to us boxing fans, right? Why would you care what the promoter makes?

Surely we just want to see the best match-ups, and if that means British fighters chancing their arm abroad that's a good thing? Please let this finally be the end of the Warren mismatch model
    Fair enough, we get to find out how good they actually are when they're the opponent for the house fighter but then how do you support any kind of major promotional setup when your guys have all been beaten?

Barker/Rees/etc aren't going to sell many tickets after they've shown they're short of world class. No British boxer is going to h ave a very long career if they're permanantly put into tough fights, have to fight abroad a lot and so on.

Right now there's only Froch that Hearn seems willing to back with serious money. If/when Hearn does invest money in young pros and brings them through to world level is he going to throw them into fights abroad or do what Warren does, wait for an aged champ he thinks his guy can beat (Tszyu) or get him a vacant belt (Cleverly)?

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will Eddie Hearn take a risk and pay enough to get somebody like Geale or Quillin to fight in England? Barker probably wouldn't sell enough tickets to make it viable and I don't think Hearn believes in him enough to come up with the money.
    Hearn's already had fighters, in the past two years, challenge for world titles abroad on other promotions.

Whether he stages the fight or not, unlike FW, it looks like his fighters will take their chances.
    And they've all lost. You make money as a promoter by getting your guys big fights they can win in front of big crowds in events you promote. You take a punt on your guys and pay foreign world champions to come to England and fight your guy when you think your guy can win, which is what Warren's MO has been. Then you cash in promoting your world champion.

Hearn seems quite willing to send his guys abroad to be the opponent fighter on other promoters' bills. The only guy he's so far put the money up to do that with if Froch for the Bute fight and he was helped by the fact that Bute was desperate to fight in Nottingham.
    Either way it's irrelevant to us boxing fans, right? Why would you care what the promoter makes?

Surely we just want to see the best match-ups, and if that means British fighters chancing their arm abroad that's a good thing? Please let this finally be the end of the Warren mismatch model
    Fair enough, we get to find out how good they actually are when they're the opponent for the house fighter but then how do you support any kind of major promotional setup when your guys have all been beaten?

Barker/Rees/etc aren't going to sell many tickets after they've shown they're short of world class. No British boxer is going to h ave a very long career if they're permanantly put into tough fights, have to fight abroad a lot and so on.

Right now there's only Froch that Hearn seems willing to back with serious money. If/when Hearn does invest money in young pros and brings them through to world level is he going to throw them into fights abroad or do what Warren does, wait for an aged champ he thinks his guy can beat (Tszyu) or get him a vacant belt (Cleverly)?
    There is a middle way.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker just headlined the Saturday night show. Losing to Martinez didn't harm him.

Kell Brook has already headlined 10,000 seaters, he is currently due to fight Alexander, in America, for the "world" title, on the Peterson-Matthysse undercard. Carl Frampton is selling out the Odyssey Arena in Belfast.

You may be right about Hearn in the future, but for now lets just hope he doesn't turn into Warren.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quillan beats Barker.
    Barker exposes Quillan as being more of a Milky Bar kid than a Kid Chocolate. Cracks him like a kinder egg with no surprise gift needed.
    Hah, Quillin KO's Barker faster than Martinez did!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Yes I am British and have no objectivity at all. I just blindly follow my jingoistic tendencies and ignore all evidence that contradicts this. Thank you for such a wonderful insight.
    Makes sense, you keep saying Barker will stop fighters that noone else has stopped and the only reason that comes to mind is he is British and you are British. Barker is not a big puncher and to suggest he will stop guys who are a huge step up in class is just silly.

I have no doubt barker won't fight any of these guys because he won't take a risk and will continue to fight bums so u won't be proven wrong
    With respect I am assuming that being a boxnation subscriber you are Irish or possibly British. Being so I thought you would be reasonably familiar with Barker and realise that none of the names mentioned are a huge step up in class. If that were the case Martinez would have wiped the floor with him in a couple of rounds. He is more than ready to take fights that you deem a "risk" and more than capable. You are quite entitled to your opinion I just don't happen to share it.
    I am familiar with Barker. I know he looks good but its a lot easier to look get when your fighting nobodies. Martinez' style tends for him not to wipe the floor with people (in the sense getting rid of them early). Apart from Williams he hasnt stopped a fighter with a decent rec in the first half of a fight. In my opinion he did wipe the floor with Barker in that fight tho and although was close on the cards Martinez always looked in complete control and was breaking Barker down gradually.

Quillin on the other hand is a guy who will stop guys earlier, he is very fast and strong. What I "deem" a risk is a fight which he has a good chance of losing and wont get a big payday. A fight with Quillin in the states wouldnt be a big fight, similar to that against Geale, whereas he would have got a nice payday fighting Martinez.

Im not saying he is a shit fighter, he put up a good fight against Martinez and has been European champ. I just dont see how anyone could justify saying he would destroy the likes of Geale, Quillin etc. as there is no evidence from his previous fights to back this up. Obviously if the fights happen I hope Im wrong as we need more world champs this side of the Atlantic.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a middle way.
    What is it?

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a middle way.
    What is it?
    It is the one in between the two extremes.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker just headlined the Saturday night show. Losing to Martinez didn't harm him.

Kell Brook has already headlined 10,000 seaters, he is currently due to fight Alexander, in America, for the "world" title, on the Peterson-Matthysse undercard. Carl Frampton is selling out the Odyssey Arena in Belfast.

You may be right about Hearn in the future, but for now lets just hope he doesn't turn into Warren.
    How big was the crowd at Wembley for this card? Barker headlined a show in which him and Groves fought two mismatches, two Warren-style opponent-type fighters who were there to pick up a cheque. One guy had an impressive record on paper but had lost at Euro level and was an easy night for Barker. The other guy was a late replacement.

Barker now has an IBF intercontinental belt. Hearn is doing business with the IBF with Brook and Froch so he may be going that route for Barker. Geale is the IBF champ. He's already foguth in Germany and he'll fight in Britain if the cheque is right. So will Hearn come up with the readies, and if Barker wins will Hearn put him in with legitimate contenders and make unification fights or will he cash in on Barker as best he can?

I'm genuinely unsure how many tickets Barker sells. Up until last Saturday it looks like his recent fights were in a 4000 capacity arena. Then he lost to Martinez. I'm not sure there's serious money potential there.

If Brook loses to Alexander and Frampton loses to Quigg how many tickets will they sell when their bubbles have burst?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139272][QUOTE=Fenster;1139084][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139071][QUOTE=Fenster;1139055][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139046][QUOTE=Fenster;1139027]
    Will Eddie Hearn take a
    Barker now has an IBF intercontinental belt. Hearn is doing business with the IBF with Brook and Froch so he may be going that route for Barker. Geale is the IBF champ. He's already foguth in Germany and he'll fight in Britain if the cheque is right. So will Hearn come up with the readies, and if Barker wins will Hearn put him in with legitimate contenders and make unification fights or will he cash in on Barker as best he can?

I'm genuinely unsure how many tickets Barker sells. Up until last Saturday it looks like his recent fights were in a 4000 capacity arena. Then he lost to Martinez. I'm not sure there's serious money potential there.

If Brook loses to Alexander and Frampton loses to Quigg how many tickets will they sell when their bubbles have burst?
    Quigg wants nothin to do with Frampton. That appears obvious an I can't see them fighting for a long time as it benefits neither. Looks like Frampton coul fight Romero for a world title in Belfast so goo chance Frampton could be a world champ soon. If Brook beats Alexander it opens huge payday opportunities for him in US and England.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Depends who he fights. If he fight Qillin or Golovkin, I think he'll come up short. If he fights Geale, I think he'll win a world title. Really don't buy into Geale at all.
    Geale is a very good fighter, doesn't do anything special but very well rounded

Winning 2 trinkets in Germany is no easy feat...
    I agree, I just don't think he is all that. Sturm was a decent boxer, but ran from good fights and lost a few title fights only to be awarded gift decisions. Sylvester wasn't world class. Good wins, but not great wins, and I think Barker would beat both. Geale is a decent boxer but I think Barker will walk through him if they fought. Barker is an excellent boxer too so I just don't see Geale causing Barker problems.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quillan beats Barker.
    Barker exposes Quillan as being more of a Milky Bar kid than a Kid Chocolate. Cracks him like a kinder egg with no surprise gift needed.
    from this anyone who hadnt seen or heard about the fight would assume that barker was easy for martinez and he did a number on him in double quick time
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Silkeyjoe;1139356][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139272][QUOTE=Fenster;1139084][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139071][QUOTE=Fenster;1139055][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1139046]
    Will Eddie Hearn take a

Quigg wants nothin to do with Frampton. That appears obvious an I can't see them fighting for a long time as it benefits neither. Looks like Frampton coul fight Romero for a world title in Belfast so goo chance Frampton could be a world champ soon. If Brook beats Alexander it opens huge payday opportunities for him in US and England.
    Frampton's weightclass doesn't generally see big money fights and there'll always be a belt he can get a home fight for for not much money. Brook would have had a much better chance of beating Alexander by fighting at home but Hearn either doesn't have a lot of faith in him or is operating on a budget that precludes him making a purse bid big enough to get Brook the fight at home. Or he thinks he can't lose to Alexander in front of three US judges and an American crowd.

I don't think Devon Alexander has ever sold 10 000 tickets for one of his fights, unlike Brook, but Alexander's promoter still managed to outbid Hearn and get the fight in the US. I think Hearn did a great job building Brook into a fighter who can sell that many tickets but then he goes and risks the whole thing by being outbid for the Alexander fight. If Brook loses, which is eminently possible, what happens to Brook then? Try and get the 10 000 bandwagon back and then another title shot, but then Hearn has to put the money up to get the champion to the UK or Brook goes abroad again. I don't understand Hearn's thinking at all.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never had you pegged down as a cynic @Kirkland Laing. Eddie obviously has more faith in Brook than a lot of other promoters would and trusts him to give a good enough account of himself in the US to make it worth the gamble. There was probably no way that Alexander was going to come over here, like most American Boxers the fact that some British fighters might just be able to draw a bigger crowd seems to be irrelevant to them.

Barker you could argue actually improved his reputation despite losing to Martinez and certainly increased his exposure and chances in future of fighting for a belt. Frampton will get his chance too, shortly after rebuilding once Quigg beats him.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends who he fights. If he fight Qillin or Golovkin, I think he'll come up short. If he fights Geale, I think he'll win a world title. Really don't buy into Geale at all.
    Geale is a very good fighter, doesn't do anything special but very well rounded

Winning 2 trinkets in Germany is no easy feat...
    I agree, I just don't think he is all that. Sturm was a decent boxer, but ran from good fights and lost a few title fights only to be awarded gift decisions. Sylvester wasn't world class. Good wins, but not great wins, and I think Barker would beat both. Geale is a decent boxer but I think Barker will walk through him if they fought. Barker is an excellent boxer too so I just don't see Geale causing Barker problems.
    I see it as a pretty even fight, but Geale just seems a slightly better fighter imo

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quillan beats Barker.
    from this anyone who hadnt seen or heard about the fight would assume that barker was easy for martinez and he did a number on him in double quick time
    Barker was ahead early but at no time did Martinez look in trouble, Martinez was busting Barker up down the stretch. That's why there called the championship rounds! Barker was starting to take a beating those last couple of rounds...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information