Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo vs martinez

Canelo needs to continue with the sturdy competition and that means fighting someone at his own weight class like martinez.

Martinez is getting old but a fight between this two will generate alot of money and would be a great fight if theres not a trout rematch.

Canelo can forget about mayweather as the huge weight advantage he has and hydrates up to after weigh in just shows you what a massive weight difference there is.

Canelo vs martinez for september anyone?..(i dont want to see cotto beaten up anymore)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs martinez

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Canelo needs to continue with the sturdy competition and that means fighting someone at his own weight class like martinez.

Martinez is getting old but a fight between this two will generate alot of money and would be a great fight if theres not a trout rematch.

Canelo can forget about mayweather as the huge weight advantage he has and hydrates up to after weigh in just shows you what a massive weight difference there is.

Canelo vs martinez for september anyone?..(i dont want to see cotto beaten up anymore)
    At what weight? Will Martinez be able to come down? Doubt Canelo will make the jump to middleweight to fight Martinez as his 1st fight

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

At what weight? Will Martinez be able to come down? Doubt Canelo will make the jump to middleweight to fight Martinez as his 1st fight
    He expects everyone else to come up to his weight. Hes young enough and needs to start taking even more risks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*Caneleo's not big enough... he was too small for Trout. At 5'9, he was reaching and barely able to get passed the jab... at 160, eveyone's gunna be too tall for him. Some fighters can get away with it, Canelo's not one of those guys... his only option is to move down in weight, not move up. or stay where he's at.

ps..i think he'd beat Martinez... but that's not his weight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My answer would be the same as before the Trout fight, Canelo by TKO. I like Martinez, but his chin is shaky and he's getting old enough that his reflexes are going to start letting him down soon. It would look a lot like the Chavez Jr. fight, except that Canelo would get to Martinez a lot quicker.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The division may be to big for Alvarez but Martinez isn't. Like @CFH said Martinez may start to slow down if he isn't already. Not everybody can compete as long as Moore or Hopkins. Really curious to see how he looks against Murray.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

He expects everyone else to come up to his weight. Hes young enough and needs to start taking even more risks.
    Money gives you power. Alvarez brings in the money. Martinez does not. If they ever decide to fight the only say Martinez would have is what color trunks he's coming to the ring in. And even than I'm sure he'll ask Alvarez first if it's ok

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well considering that Martinez is a small 160 I don't think size will much of a difference here. Wonder if Martinez's age will finally catch up to him though. That aside, I think the lineal champ has enough to worry about in his own division, Pirog, Geale, and GGG are to name a few.

P.S

I'm a big Martinez fan So I rather him fight legit opponents at 160 to secure a legacy of sorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is fulling areanas now. But Martinez is still ranked higher in the P4P ranking. Is it a money fight or legacy fight.

Canelo? If he wants a strong legacy, meet Martinez at 158 if not 160. Martinez was loud saying he will come down to 154 to fight Floyd. Why not for a Canelo fight?
    Canelo? If he wants more money, he'll fight Cotto or Trout in September.
    IMO, I would like to see Canelo fight the winner of Augulo vs Lara, or Kirkland or winner of Molina vs Ishe Smith.

Martinez? If he wants a strong legacy, Martinez can go a number of ways. And Canelo is one of them. But the others are 3G, Jcc Jr rematch(he almost lost that one). A young Peter Quillin. Or biggest of them all, meet Ward at 164(Won't ever happen).
    Martinez? For money, Canelo, or Canelo.
    I would like to see Martinez vs 3G

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he wants the Floyd fight he better stay at 154 as I don't see Floyd fighting at any weight above this. People complained before hand he wasn't fighting enough 154lbers, so let him dominate the division for a while. He's very young and has plenty of time to move up in weight. I swear some fans want to rush this kid because they are desperate for him to fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think everyone is forgetting that Martinez needs to first get past Martin Murray before he even contemplates his next opponent. Murray will be no push over. And if Martinez is looking past him he will pay the price.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right, Martinez has a tough fight on Saturday. Murray is no pushover. I expect a proper turn up. If I'm Martinez, and I can get Canelo, that is who I go far. If not, I probably target Geale, all this assumes he gets by Murray on Saturday.

If I were Canelo's people, I would probably choose between Mayweather and Cotto. With regard to Cotto, I understand he'll destroy him, but in terms of risk/reward, it's the best fight out there because the money will still be good and the risk is low. With regard to Mayweather, the money is just too good to pass up, and what does a loss do? There is no shame in losing to the best p4p fighter in the world, and if he loses to another boxer, his chance of facing Mayweather in the future diminishes.

As far as Canelo vs. Martinez, it's an attractive fight, especially considering that Canelo steps into the ring at 171 pounds, that's an 18 pound difference than the weigh-in the day before the fight. So, they are not that very far apart in terms of weight. If Canelo is going for a legacy-defining fight, the lineal middleweight champion might be the best he can do. On the other hand, Mayweather is the BEST option, as far as money and fame go. Martinez packs in 40,000 fans in Buenos Aires, but Mayweather brings PPV money in the USA. The difference in $ is significant. I'm not sure a Martinez fight is worth the risk either.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One important aspect that hasn't been considered is that Martinez fights on HBO and Canelo fights on Showtime. Therefore, this fight will not happen anytime soon.

Mayweather vs. Canelo is the fight to be made.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez will be fighting Cotto next I think.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Alvarez will be fighting Cotto next I think.
    Cotto will get really hurt. He needs to call it a day.

Canelo should fight floyd at 147 if he really wants the fight. Floyd doesnt do catchweights and will not disadvantage himself against a fighter that will weigh 25pounds or more on fight day.

Thread Information