Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default is hatton an elite or not?

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Hatton- Was never an elite fighter, and past his boxing prime.
    basing from a post from a poster here at saddo named generalbulldog. however, hatton has a fairly good resume with wins over the likes of jlc, tszyu, urango, maliggnaggi, maussa, collazo, pep, rowland, pendleton, hutchinson, phillips, tackie, stewart, oliveira, ben rabah and only has losses against the two p4p#1 in the world during the time of those fights: pbf and pac.
    do you agree with general bulldog?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: is hatton an elite or not?

I guess it depends on how you define "elite". He's definitely not elite anymore, but in his prime Hatton was a very good fighter who was just a notch below the top tier (ie. the Mayweathers', Pacquiao's, Mosley's etc.). I would say that he was a good/great fighter who fell just below the elite level, but I'm sure many people will disagree with me.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky is a GREAT British World champion , he has a good resume , and is one of the finest fighters to come out of Britain since the War.
    He lost only to the best p4p of his time , however in the wider picture , he doesnt hold a light to guys like JCC ,Duran , ODLH , PACMAN , Mayweather etc.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Ricky is a GREAT British World champion , he has a good resume , and is one of the finest fighters to come out of Britain since the War.
    He lost only to the best p4p of his time , however in the wider picture , he doesnt hold a light to guys like JCC ,Duran , ODLH , PACMAN , Mayweather etc.
    Cant beat that for a fair call.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At his peak he would give any 140 guy past or present a tough fight, he was a real handfull but he has never been a 'truly elite' fighter. He was never consistent enough to be, one fight he would move well and pick shots and break a guy down and others he walked head on missing shots and eating them in return.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He defended his Junior Welterweight Title something like 26 times and only lost to two fighters considered p4p the best. Named 2005 fighter of the year.

Is it not that "elite fighter" considered to be the group of fighters at the top of the weightclass? What the time frame? Are you talking about all time elite/great fighters? or are you asking was he ever considered an elite fighter?

Today, if you consider the top 4 or 5 as elite, (arguably) Pacquiao, Bradley, Holt, writer and Urango is Hatton competitive against these fighters? Absolutely! with one exception.

Yesterday, (figuratively, say the last 5 years) without a doubt an elite fighter.

ATG, if he retires today, I don't think he makes it to the 100's list.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What Al said!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me.. to be elite you have to beat the elites. And so far he hasn't done that.. you could argue that Tsyzu and Castillo were elite but it was clear they were past their best, although that doesn't take anything away from the victory, you can only fight who's infront of you after all.

I'm not taking anything away from Hatton, he's one of my favourite fighters, but I think he's always stumbled when trying to achieve elite status, and he always will. But I hope he ends his career on a high, I'd love to see one or even two more fights from him.. to me he can still easily beat Witter, Bradley or Holt.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyUK View Post
    To me.. to be elite you have to beat the elites. And so far he hasn't done that.. you could argue that Tsyzu and Castillo were elite but it was clear they were past their best, although that doesn't take anything away from the victory, you can only fight who's infront of you after all.

I'm not taking anything away from Hatton, he's one of my favourite fighters, but I think he's always stumbled when trying to achieve elite status, and he always will. But I hope he ends his career on a high, I'd love to see one or even two more fights from him.. to me he can still easily beat Witter, Bradley or Holt.
    I don't disagree with what you are saying apart from "Tszyu was clearly past his best" I honestly don't think he was, there were no signs of decline in Tszyu, he just got mauled and out gamed.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not so sure I would say elite. He beat one elite fighter and his win over Collazo was very controversial. I think Hatton had/has to do more to be considered elite. Take away the Kostya Tsyzu win and is this really a debate? Basically, before the Tsyzu fight he was not even questioned as elite and after the Tsyzu fight he got knocked out by the next two elite fighters he fought. Elite level is a different category. Bradley, Judah, Campbell, Collazo, Mayorga etc are not elite fighters. They are good fighters. Hatton is a good/great fighter who was the ruler of the good fighters but he just wasn't smart enough of a fighter to keep with the elite level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sums it up for me just short of elite

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyUK View Post

I don't disagree with what you are saying apart from "Tszyu was clearly past his best" I honestly don't think he was, there were no signs of decline in Tszyu, he just got mauled and out gamed.
    KT had been woefully inactive. It was an insane fight, stupid time in the morning and a ridiculous amount of mauling that Hatton was allowed to get away with. Most of the British fans didn't mind turning a blind eye to that as long as there man won - hence, calling the ref a cheat everytime Hatton fought in the US when he broke up the tight fest for 'not allowing Ricky to work'.

Castillo was way gone when Hatton got to him.

There are some good names on paper. For instance Ben Tackie is a decent name but a terrible 1-2 plodder.

Hatton, great British fighter, but far from the elite.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tszyu fought Hatton on the back of looking seriously impressive against Mitchell, was a hot favourite and ranked P4P no.3.. That has to go down as a great win for Hatton.

All his opponents after Tszyu were rated top 10 by The Ring.

He spent 4 years in-and-out of The Ring P4P top 10.

So not an all-time great but an elite fighter for his time period.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well said

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Tszyu fought Hatton on the back of looking seriously impressive against Mitchell, was a hot favourite and ranked P4P no.3.. That has to go down as a great win for Hatton.

All his opponents after Tszyu were rated top 10 by The Ring.

He spent 4 years in-and-out of The Ring P4P top 10.

So not an all-time great but an elite fighter for his time period.
    Shows how much they know.

Thread Information