Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default gsp hendricks

I had this 235 for gsp, i know people might disagree with me on round 2 most likely but gsp got a bit wobbled but thought he did more than enough to actually take it. Sherdog is loosing their shit as always after a close fight screamin robbery left and right, and to habe this 4-1 hendricks as dana did is idiotic as 3 and 5 were CLEAR gsp rounds, if you score those for hendricks you smokin some hard shit me thinks. Lets see the rematch i think this is as good as hendricks can do but gsp can do better

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: gsp hendricks

I dunno, I think Hendricks probably did deserve to win it, was a very good and close fight though, and I wasn't sober. I'm not sure anyone even knows how close rounds are supposed to be scored in MMA half the time, it's even more subjective than boxing in a fight like that imo. Definitely wouldn't have given GSP the 2nd myself, Hendricks had him reeling for a bit and that was the only time anyone was seriously in trouble. GSP boxed pretty well but he was keeping Hendricks at bay rather than pressing the action a lot, he certainly took more damage in there. As an aside, I kind of hate to see all those superman punches as a boxing fan. I get why they work but still, Pierre could have been Pacquiao'ed there if hendricks anticipated one. Doesn't sound like GSP is going to be fighting anyone soon though, for that reason alone I wish it had gone the other way, Hendricks is a beast.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Hendricks was extremely naive.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gave Johnny 1,2 and 4. 1 was close but I thought his work against the cage cemented it. Robbery? No but I felt pretty certain Big Rig was going to get the nod. I don't think it is a robbery b/c despite clearly doing much more damage it was his lack of stamina in the 5th that cost him. I think Hendricks actually has more upside here. It was pretty clear that Rush is not going to outwrestle Johnny so he will have to outstrike him for 5 rounds. I don't like his chances there. I'd expect that Hendricks will be better prepared cardio wise for future 5 round fights and be able to keep more pressure on Rush. GSP is the master at game planning to take away his opponents abilities but while his striking was more accurate and technical it just didn't matter. Johnny was perfectly willing to take to give and when he landed it was much more significant. Honestly if I was training Johnny I would put an emphasis on him utilizing his wrestling more and dirty boxing against the cage.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree hendricks had him in bit of trouble in the second but feel like gsp came back strong, will have to rewatch as seemingly the swing round was one for most anyone. I thought we overdo it with the robbery talk but seems like in mma a close fight is always a robbery and there's been quite a few close ones recently. Hell some are calling this the worst robbery in the history of mma, I guess nobody bothered to watch gomis(I think against diego) last fight in the ufc which was a complete screw job.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    I had this 235 for gsp, i know people might disagree with me on round 2 most likely but gsp got a bit wobbled but thought he did more than enough to actually take it. Sherdog is loosing their shit as always after a close fight screamin robbery left and right, and to habe this 4-1 hendricks as dana did is idiotic as 3 and 5 were CLEAR gsp rounds, if you score those for hendricks you smokin some hard shit me thinks. Lets see the rematch i think this is as good as hendricks can do but gsp can do better

Oh no you didn't. You can't give GSP round 2. You just can't. It's counter-intuitive to how MMA scoring works. Hendricks beat him up that round.

I do agree though that guys like Dana are really blowing this out of proportion. This was a fight that came down, quite simply, to round 1.

Hendricks clearly won 2 (to date, you are the only person who I've seen who scored that GSP) and 4, and GSP clearly won 3 and 5.

In round 1, Hendricks did the better work. He landed some nice counter left hands, he landed a ton of brutal knees to the thigh, he landed a ton of elbows to the side of GSP's head as he was defending the takedown (which resulted in big damage to GSP's eye), and he generally outworked GSP in the clinches and grappling exchanges.

Problem is, although Hendricks' attacks were much more effective and damaging, they were also much more subtle. GSP attacked with a lot of quick, explosive, flashy techniques (headkicks, ect) that, although they weren't landing, were really more "eye catching" to the judges sitting at ringside, who, like in boxing, don't always have the best vantage point to really take in the action, what's blocked, what lands, ect.

So while I think it should be clear to anyone who knows MMA that Hendricks won round 1, I can understand a live judge going the other way. Not that I agree with it, but I can understand why they would.

So when people act like this is the worst decision in history, they are really blowing it out of proportion. Shogun/Machida 1 was much worse, where Shogun dominated and arguably won every round and got robbed. This was a fight that was decised by one relatively close round. It went to the champ, it is what it is.

The wrong guy got the nod, but when it's as far from decisive as that, I don't think you can call it a robbery, or start questioning corruption.

I think the average fan forgets that MMA is judged on the 10-point must and judge the fight as a whole. Hendricks clearly won the war by a large margin, because he busted GSP up without really taking much visible damage himself.

But when you look at it round by round like you're supposed to, it is a lot less decisive.

Thread Information