Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
If this fight comes off, Donaire will have fought 4X in 2012. One was for a title in a new division with a top ten fighter; one was a unification fight with a top ten fighter; one was a knockout against the consensus number 1 in the division; and, the last is against a big name. Although Arce is not a compelling match-up for Donaire with the outcome already certain, he has a big fan base, and after three moderately difficult-to-difficult fights, I understand the reason for the fight. Given his activity, assuming he beats Arce, Donaire has to be the frontrunner for fighter of the year. Correct?
not really, the general consensus is that the top 2 front runners for Fighter of the Year are Garcia and Ward again, not saying that Donaire wouldn't be in the running but as of right now nothing is in black and white
@ElTerribleMorales

That can't be correct, can it? Ward has only fought once this year. You can't be the Fighter of the Year with only one fight. And he fought Dawson 7 pounds below Dawson's natural weight class. Not saying it wasn't a great win though, but when we're talking about Fighter of the Year, wins are more scrutinized than on average.

Garcia has a claim, but I think Donaire's is comparable and his activity probably nicks it. In any event, I agree that Garcia and Donaire have to be the front runners.