User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavoris Cloud vs. Bernard Hopkins - Saturday night chat/fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Tavoris Cloud vs. Bernard Hopkins - Saturday night chat/fight thread

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    unenthusiastic because he kept getting blasted in the face, have you watched that fight yet?
    Yes...Tavoris (probably dude to Don King being his promoter) has been out in the cold in trying to line up important fights at light heavyweight. He fought Campillo and was under prepared and unenthusiastic. Since then Cloud has swapped trainers and he's been in Big Bear preparing for this fight and it is a big one, one that should he win could land him a match vs Dawson or Pascal (who ducked Cloud last time). I think Cloud was just frustrated by the Campillo fight in general, he was getting looked over for big fights and after a while that goes from being "insulting" to a "well this guy is a punk, I don't need to give 100% to beat him"...its bad mentally for a fighter to feel unchallenged & overlooked, it lulls them into a state of complacency

Bernard Hopkins is still a very cagey technical fighter, he's by no means an easy ask even at his advanced age. Cloud should cut the ring off, avoid clinches & roughhouse tactics (or directly show B-Hop you're too strong for that crap), Bernard will try to make the fight a dirty ugly mess. Cloud must keep his hands free & firing, but also not allow for Hopkins to keep him at the end of his jab. Cloud must be energized & dynamic to beat Hopkins.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tavoris Cloud vs. Bernard Hopkins - Saturday night chat/fight thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I got Hopkins..still. Hopkins wrote and mastered the blueprint Campillo used to box the ears off of Cloud years ago. A terrible style for Cloud to come back to and he'll go in thinking outloud and looking to implement 'changes' he has no clue of. And if he tries to blitz in and over Hopkins he'll be even more screwed. Hopkins tko 11 or unam. dec.
    I tend to agree with this, but Hop was looking really old in the rematch with Dawson, so i'll just say that Cloud wins a stinky, boring UD.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I got Hopkins..still. Hopkins wrote and mastered the blueprint Campillo used to box the ears off of Cloud years ago. A terrible style for Cloud to come back to and he'll go in thinking outloud and looking to implement 'changes' he has no clue of. And if he tries to blitz in and over Hopkins he'll be even more screwed. Hopkins tko 11 or unam. dec.
    I tend to agree with this, but Hop was looking really old in the rematch with Dawson, so i'll just say that Cloud wins a stinky, boring UD.
    I don't think Bernard has the legs to make the fight terribly one sided. Cloud WILL connect, it's just a matter of how frequently and how clean. Also can Bernard take those punches? Cloud is not a tiny dude, he's strong. I can't recall the last time B-Hop fought someone this rough, this powerful.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    That is a bold prediction as Hopkins hasn't stopped anyone in years and years.

I am a long time B-hop fan and will pick him again. However, I am worried he may finally be getn old. Cloud does bring the heat early and is a powerhouse.

The early rounds will be nerve racking. After that, if Hopkins can get into a groove then it could be another Bernard boxing clinic.
    Hop looked ancient against Dawson in the rematch, and he no longer has the ability pull that off. the Hop of old is gone, he's finished competing at the elite level.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins on points. I'm not picking against him till he loses convincingly.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I don't think Bernard has the legs to make the fight terribly one sided. Cloud WILL connect, it's just a matter of how frequently and how clean. Also can Bernard take those punches? Cloud is not a tiny dude, he's strong. I can't recall the last time B-Hop fought someone this rough, this powerful.
    Hop has always been somewhat conservative with his punches, and even more so since he's gotten older. (that's the reason he lost both of his fights with Jermaine Taylor) Hop will try using every trick in his book to defeat Cloud, but it won't be enough, the much younger, more energetic Cloud will out ugly/work Hop and win a 12 round decision.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 03-04-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Hopkins on points. I'm not picking against him till he loses convincingly.
    I thought he lost convincingly to Dawson, and looked like an old man in the process.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    I think if Hop has anything left this could look like the Pavlik fight. If there is one guy Hop can still beat in the division its Cloud. You don't get much more one dimensional then he is.
    You will eat many Crow with this prediction grasshopper..

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if Hop has anything left this could look like the Pavlik fight. If there is one guy Hop can still beat in the division its Cloud. You don't get much more one dimensional then he is.
    I prefaced that prediction my friend

For all those bringing up sad Chad,its not hard to look worse then you are against him. If I was a betting man I'd throw a few quid on the old technician. Cloud is a one dimensional plodder that cant move above the waist let alone get his dome out of the way of a counter. I have no dog in the fight but will cheer for the old underdog.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all those bringing up sad Chad,its not hard to look worse then you are against him. If I was a betting man I'd throw a few quid on the old technician. Cloud is a one dimensional plodder that cant move above the waist let alone get his dome out of the way of a counter. I have no dog in the fight but will cheer for the old underdog.
    Hop used to be one of my favorite fighters, in his younger days, "X" was one of the best body punchers i've ever seen, you see flashes of this when he knocked out DeLaHoya with one. These days, Hop is just a shell of his former self, much like Roy Jones, who can't say no to another nice payday, that's why both these pugs are still fighting = money, it sure as fuck ain't because they love boxing.

Yes, Bernard we like you, we really, really like you, you're a legend, now get the fuck out of our faces and retire.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Mars_ax;1137263]
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I tend to agree with this, but Hop was looking really old in the rematch with Dawson, so i'll just say that Cloud wins a stinky, boring UD.[/QUOTE.

Hop has always been somewhat conservative with his punches, and even more so since he's gotten older. (that's the reason he lost both of his fights with Jermaine Taylor) Hop will try using every trick in his book to defeat Cloud, but it won't be enough, the much younger, more energetic Cloud will out ugly/work Hop and win a 12 round decision.
    I think Clouds energy can very well be used against him by a gloved crusty Yoda like Hopkins. He fights very very tense and although I do love his excitment and no bs approach he has no imagination and no second gear...no eye inside of his own hurricane. He's as strong as a Bull bit also as stubborn as one and it's raw strength. Hopkins will clinch him up and I think he can neutralize that strength by knowing what to do in there where Clouds inside game is on a milk carton and he can be pretty vertical. I don't think it's a bad match at all and am at the point where I'm stunned Father time hasn't pulled the floor from under Bernard and honestly a no frills guy like Cloud is getting a shot. I think he'll give Hopkins some Hell at times but I'm riding with the ring generalship and brain of the old geezer from Philly to rain on Clouds day. Ok that was Rodney Dangerfielf cheese

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry dudes...totally screwed up the reply box?!

Posting a multi quote from I phone is a pain in the arse.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Clouds energy can very well be used against him by a gloved crusty Yoda like Hopkins. He fights very very tense and although I do love his excitment and no bs approach he has no imagination and no second gear...no eye inside of his own hurricane. He's as strong as a Bull bit also as stubborn as one and it's raw strength. Hopkins will clinch him up and I think he can neutralize that strength by knowing what to do in there where Clouds inside game is on a milk carton and he can be pretty vertical. I don't think it's a bad match at all and am at the point where I'm stunned Father time hasn't pulled the floor from under Bernard and honestly a no frills guy like Cloud is getting a shot. I think he'll give Hopkins some Hell at times but I'm riding with the ring generalship and brain of the old geezer from Philly to rain on Clouds day. Ok that was Rodney Dangerfield cheese
    @Spicoli
    Considering how shitty Cloud looked in his last fight, (that he should have lost) against Gabriel Campillo, anything is possible. I may have to drag out and ice up a dusty six pack of Old Milwaukee Light in cans for this one.

cheers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry dudes...totally screwed up the reply box?!

Posting a multi quote from I phone is a pain in the arse.
    Near as I can tell you didn't fuck anything up.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hop used to be one of my favorite fighters, in his younger days, "X" was one of the best body punchers i've ever seen, you see flashes of this when he knocked out DeLaHoya with one. These days, Hop is just a shell of his former self, much like Roy Jones, who can't say no to another nice payday, that's why both these pugs are still fighting = money, it sure as fuck ain't because they love boxing.

Yes, Bernard we like you, we really, really like you, you're a legend, now get the fuck out of our faces and retire.
    I used to dislike the guy pre Tito and then hated him post Tito lol. But as time wore on I gained more and more respect for the guy although I'm not really a fan. No vested interest and him losing effects me very little. In many ways he's this eras version of Archie Moore. I dont agree that Hopkins needs money. In my opinion he is a throw back. I think he still has the fire.

Thread Information