Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Callum Johnson quits boxing aged 37 over self-discipline issues

Callum Johnson has quit boxing at the age of 37, he has revealed in a personal statement which revealed his struggles with self-discipline and mental health.

Before taking up a professional career, Johnson won gold for Scotland at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in the Light heavyweight category.

Shortly after that, he picked up his pro gloves, but despite almost 12 years on the circuit, he has fought just twice in the last three and a half years.

His final ring appearance was against Server Emurlaev in October 2021 in Birmingham. He finished his career with a 20-1 record, 14 of those wins coming by knockout.

In a statement on his personal Facebook page, Johnson wrote: 'The boxing days are over, not by choice really or on my own terms, but more by lack of self discipline and struggling to battle and deal with my own mental struggles & demons. I tried and I tried again but kept failing.

'I’ve let a lot of people down, especially this year and I’m truly sorry and I never meant for it to end this way and honestly never saw it ending this way.'

He considered staying in the sport up until recent days, but ultimately decided it was too late for him to make amends for the issues he has faced.

Johnson added: 'I’m fully to blame for my failures and accept it and now got to start learning to live life with out boxing and learn to forgive my self for letting everyone down around me. Especially my manager & trainer Joe Gallagher, my Kids N Gemma and my Dad. And the biggest one letting my self down.'

Johnson joined forces with Frank Warren early last year, but only fought twice in 2021.

Johnson wrote a specific tribute to the promoter, stating: 'Also a special thanks to Frank Warren, he really delivered the opportunities for me and I wasn’t able to return the favour.'

There were plans for him to fight Joe Smith Jr in January of this year, but it was cancelled after Johnson contracted Covid-19.

He revealed that he doesn't know what he will do with his life after boxing, and jokingly finished off his post by saying 'AND IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY JOBS GOING'.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...3b0bf3ab71a695
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Callum Johnson quits boxing aged 37 over self-discipline issues

it's sad & i hope he finds peace. he had the talent & power to have much more of an impact on the sport
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed he could have won against Smith and even if he didn't he would have had good domestic battles against Yarde, Smith and the others.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I admire his brutal honesty with himself and I hope that in time he gets to feel proud of his achievements.
    He got to the stage of his career where he got to fight for a World title against one of the best champions of the last 5/10 years.
    The fact he got beat is neither here nor there.
    All too often we forget as general public we sound really fucking stupid as we forget that when we criticise these guys for their relative shortcomings, we wouldn’t have a hope in hell of ever getting anywhere near their achievements.
    I know an ex pro back in the day that fought Herrol Graham for a British title, and in the area he came from , because he got well beat, people blatantly took the piss and ridiculed him.
    These idiots don’t really understand that getting the shot and having the balls to take it were the real achievements. We’re talking about a guy that was cast iron avoided by Benn and Eubank when they became World Champions.
    We’re all guilty,I’ll have to remember everything I’m writing here next time I talk about Wilder!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Herol Graham was my English favourite boxer and was impossible to look good against.

I am definitely and slowly appreciating Wilder.

Callum Johnson could have made some big money against the domestic world title contenders. So he is very honest to retire now and not cheat his fans.

Thread Information