183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Post your top ten heavyweights

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I didn't really see much wrong with your earlier posts Tito, although there may have been some mis-communication. I think Fenster was trying to point out that Hunter has a better record at heavy than Jennings (correct me if I'm of base). If that is the case, then I agree, but there is not really much in it at this stage. Looking at Jenning's record only Dimitrenko, Perez and Szpilka are note worthy at best. Hunter has Bakole, Ustinov, Kuzmin and I thought he beat Povetkin, but a draw against a top 10 guy none the less, and he has only been at heavy for 2 years roughly. Jenning has been a career heavy for roughly 10 years.

I appreciate that, Alpha. Let's leave it at that, for obvious reasons... but thanks.

About Jennings versus Hunter, I just think Jennings is the more impressive scalp between the two (comparing Povetkin and Ortiz opponents). Jennings was a seasoned fighter in what turned out to be his peak as a boxer. He had just gone 12 with Klitschko, and before that had handed Perez his first loss. It's easy to dismiss him now, and that's the problem with people trying to build cases for or against their favorite (or not) fighters. Not saying you do that, but many conveniently take fighters' careers out of historical context to advance their argument. Jennings is a has-been now, while Hunter is (to me) still unproven enough. Between Bakole, Ustinov and Kuzmin... Bakole is the one I'd rate the most, as Ustinov has turned out less than impressive and Kuzmin was a non-entity before facing Hunter. It's amazing how just 4-5 years ago people were singing Jennings praises as the new American hope... and now to some he was never worth anything. (Again... not you). It's all about context and convenience.
    I have to give the edge to Povetkin for scalps over the last 5 years (as I posted earlier), but not but much. Jennings got a lot of credit for going the distance with W. Klistchko, I'm not sure if that reflects where Klistchko was at at that stage or not, but Ortiz stopped Jennings in the next outing. Wilder also got a little assistance in the 1st fight against Ortiz from the ref, although Wilder silenced any doubt in the rematch.

Jennings is shot now, and I think we agree Perez was his best win. Hunter is just getting started at heavyweight and in my eyes, already holds a 'win' over Povetkin (a draw against a top 10 guy going in, at the least). We will have to wait and see how he progresses, but he seems keen to fight anyone, which I like.

One thing I did disagree with Fenster on was that Perez was 'robbed' against Jennings. It was a close fight, I had Jennings by a point, even scoring the last round 9-9.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't really see much wrong with your earlier posts Tito, although there may have been some mis-communication. I think Fenster was trying to point out that Hunter has a better record at heavy than Jennings (correct me if I'm of base). If that is the case, then I agree, but there is not really much in it at this stage. Looking at Jenning's record only Dimitrenko, Perez and Szpilka are note worthy at best. Hunter has Bakole, Ustinov, Kuzmin and I thought he beat Povetkin, but a draw against a top 10 guy none the less, and he has only been at heavy for 2 years roughly. Jenning has been a career heavy for roughly 10 years.

I appreciate that, Alpha. Let's leave it at that, for obvious reasons... but thanks.

About Jennings versus Hunter, I just think Jennings is the more impressive scalp between the two (comparing Povetkin and Ortiz opponents). Jennings was a seasoned fighter in what turned out to be his peak as a boxer. He had just gone 12 with Klitschko, and before that had handed Perez his first loss. It's easy to dismiss him now, and that's the problem with people trying to build cases for or against their favorite (or not) fighters. Not saying you do that, but many conveniently take fighters' careers out of historical context to advance their argument. Jennings is a has-been now, while Hunter is (to me) still unproven enough. Between Bakole, Ustinov and Kuzmin... Bakole is the one I'd rate the most, as Ustinov has turned out less than impressive and Kuzmin was a non-entity before facing Hunter. It's amazing how just 4-5 years ago people were singing Jennings praises as the new American hope... and now to some he was never worth anything. (Again... not you). It's all about context and convenience.
    I have to give the edge to Povetkin for scalps over the last 5 years (as I posted earlier), but not but much. Jennings got a lot of credit for going the distance with W. Klistchko, I'm not sure if that reflects where Klistchko was at at that stage or not, but Ortiz stopped Jennings in the next outing. Wilder also got a little assistance in the 1st fight against Ortiz from the ref, although Wilder silenced any doubt in the rematch.

Jennings is shot now, and I think we agree Perez was his best win. Hunter is just getting started at heavyweight and in my eyes, already holds a 'win' over Povetkin (a draw against a top 10 guy going in, at the least). We will have to wait and see how he progresses, but he seems keen to fight anyone, which I like.

One thing I did disagree with Fenster on was that Perez was 'robbed' against Jennings. It was a close fight, I had Jennings by a point, even scoring the last round 9-9.

Interesting about Ortiz, how he's rated badly solely on his resume, which admittedly is sadly lacking. He's one of those "what might have been" stories given that, like someone else said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, for being so underrated few fighters went out of their way to fight him. KO power in both hands, southpaw, aggressive style. Probably seen as high-risk, low-reward by most. But it still doesn't help his resume. On Hunter, he may turn out to be a great, but he's got size working totally against him. He's an Ali-sized HW which is ok.... except against the giant behemoths running the division now. I honestly don't see Hunter being competitive against any of the Big Three any time soon.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody here disagrees that Povetkin's resume is superior to Ortiz's. But my question to you would be comparing Michael Hunter's resume versus Bryant Jennings, the former an opponent of Povetkin's and the latter an opponent of Ortiz. Jennings may be washed up and on his way out now, but when he fought Ortiz he was just off a UD loss to Wlad and a decision win over Mike Perez just before that. He entered the Wlad fight as the #2, 3, and 4 ranked (WBA, WBO, and IBF respectively) ranked heavyweight in the world. Hunter by contrast, had done absolute jack at heavy before his split decision draw vs Povetkin. Which is why I don't see using Jennings, Hunter, or Perez for that matter to advance arguments about Povetkin's resume vs Ortiz. Not even Byrd, who was just a washed up shell of himself when he faced the young, hungry Povetkin. What's your take on this................. Freedom?
    - Hunter did not fight a prime Povetkin, Sasha is 40 and Hunter is in his prime at 30. Povetkin of say 2007 to 2015 would have easily beaten Hunter. Bryd was faded in 2007, true, but so is Povetkin now. By the way, Povetkin deserved to win against Hunter, remember there was a knockdown of Hunter that the ref ignored.

- Chambers was young and very fast when Povetkin beat him in 2008 (see Chambers vs an undefeated and better version of Dimitrenko). Povetkin's wins over Chagaev and Perez were impressive. Wawrzyk was never any good despite the undefeated record, but Takam was six years younger and a strong, capable heavyweight (maybe deserved at least a draw against Parker) around the time he fought Povetkin.

- Povetkin's amateur record is much better than Ortiz's. In the world championships in 2003, Povetkin beat a better Cuban than Ortiz, who was not even one of the top two Cuban heavyweights of his time.

- I remember watching Jennings vs. Klitschko and thinking Wlad is finally fading with age, his movements are slower and not as fluid at age 38 as they were when he was younger. I remember posting that prime Wlad vs. Jennings would have been a lot like 2006 Wlad vs. Brock or 2000 Wlad vs. Barrett.

- How many world titleholders has Ortiz fought? One, who twice knocked him out. How many has Povetkin fought? Four, his record is 2-2 and he was only stopped once, when he was age 38 and in against a better heavyweight than Wilder.
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-23-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Nobody here disagrees that Povetkin's resume is superior to Ortiz's. But my question to you would be comparing Michael Hunter's resume versus Bryant Jennings, the former an opponent of Povetkin's and the latter an opponent of Ortiz. Jennings may be washed up and on his way out now, but when he fought Ortiz he was just off a UD loss to Wlad and a decision win over Mike Perez just before that. He entered the Wlad fight as the #2, 3, and 4 ranked (WBA, WBO, and IBF respectively) ranked heavyweight in the world. Hunter by contrast, had done absolute jack at heavy before his split decision draw vs Povetkin. Which is why I don't see using Jennings, Hunter, or Perez for that matter to advance arguments about Povetkin's resume vs Ortiz. Not even Byrd, who was just a washed up shell of himself when he faced the young, hungry Povetkin. What's your take on this................. Freedom?
    - Hunter did not fight a prime Povetkin, Sasha is 40 and Hunter is in his prime at 30. Povetkin of say 2007 to 2015 would have easily beaten Hunter. Bryd was faded in 2007, true, but so is Povetkin now. By the way, Povetkin deserved to win against Hunter, remember there was a knockdown of Hunter that the ref ignored.

- Chambers was young and very fast when Povetkin beat him in 2008 (see Chambers vs an undefeated and better version of Dimitrenko). Povetkin's wins over Chagaev and Perez were impressive. Wawrzyk was never any good despite the undefeated record, but Takam was six years younger and a strong, capable heavyweight (maybe deserved at least a draw against Parker) around the time he fought Povetkin.

- Povetkin's amateur record is much better than Ortiz's. In the world championships in 2003, Povetkin beat a better Cuban than Ortiz, who was not even one of the top two Cuban heavyweights of his time.

- I remember watching Jennings vs. Klitschko and thinking Wlad is finally fading with age, his movements are slower and not as fluid at age 38 as they were when he was younger. I remember posting that prime Wlad vs. Jennings would have been a lot like 2006 Wlad vs. Brock or 2000 Wlad vs. Barrett.

- How many world titleholders has Ortiz fought? One, who twice knocked him out. How many has Povetkin fought? Four, his record is 2-2 and he was only stopped once, when he was age 38 and in against a better heavyweight than Wilder.
    Nobody is debating who has fought the better competition throughout their careers. The question is as of right now.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Nobody is debating who has fought the better competition throughout their careers. The question is as of right now.
    Povetkin's "draw" (should have been a win) against Hunter is much better than Ortiz being KOed by Wilder.

Ortiz faded in the mid-rounds against Wilder, while Povetkin came on in the late rounds against Hunter, who looked like a beaten man the last couple of rounds.

I'd sooner see Povetkin vs. Ortiz (old vs. old, a fair fight) than prime Whyte against old Povetkin. I'm quite sure Povetkin would win by KO in rounds 7 to 12.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin's "draw" (should have been a win) against Hunter is much better than Ortiz being KOed by Wilder.

Ortiz faded in the mid-rounds against Wilder, while Povetkin came on in the late rounds against Hunter, who looked like a beaten man the last couple of rounds.

I'd sooner see Povetkin vs. Ortiz (old vs. old, a fair fight) than prime Whyte against old Povetkin. I'm quite sure Povetkin would win by KO in rounds 7 to 12.

Povetkin vs Ortiz would be entertaining and people would probably be split in their predictions. I wouldn't count out Ortiz and his power. Just 'cause he got KO'ed twice by Wilder doesn't mean he's incapable of beating an old Povetkin.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn’t say Ortiz faded. I think he more just got caught. But Povetkin did much worse against AJ than Ortiz did against Wilder. I know you think AJ is much better, but as I point out earlier, Ortiz has lost twice to Wilder and was winning both fights. And Ortiz has been avoided throughout his career.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly, Povetkin has the better overall record but we are talking current ranking. I think going back 5 years is more than generous.

Hunter/ Povetkin was a close fight but I had Hunter winning, sure there should have been a knockdown in the 5th but it wasn't ruled. Hunter won the 11th and took the 12th off. I had it 7-5 Hunter I think, so I disagree that the "draw" should have been a win for Povetkin. Losing to a higher ranked fighter is not as bad as drawing or losing to a lower ranked guy in my eyes. Ortiz lost to Wilder, who I'm sure you had rated ahead of Hunter. Did you have Hunter ranked going into the Povetkin fight?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For what it's worth I think Ortiz is still top ten easily. He's a skilled fighter.

The whole bogeyman thing is bit of a myth though isn't it? It was sort of born on the back of the Jennings win I think which was a good performance at the time but enough to instate someone as some sort of champion elect being swerved by every man and his dog?

Obviously he frightened the life out of Eddie Hearn who decided it was best to have Ortiz firmly in his back pocket to avoid having him undoubtedly knocking seven shades out of Joshua at the time. Far better to have Ortiz labour past Dave Allen......DAVE ALLEN!! Dave Allen of course who coming off a 'World class' win over Lucas Browne which bizarrely, allegedly put him within touching distance of a crack at a World title of sorts got completely outclassed and beaten to a pulp by David price.

Not to gloss over the good work he did with Wilder. He won the majority of the rounds they boxed. Is winning rounds against Wilder such a mean feat though? Do you have to be the cream of the crop to accomplish that?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I put quote marks around "robbed" to indicate it has been claimed he was robbed. It's a fight he could have got the nod. Just like you and Freedom believe the opposite about Povetkin-Hunter. Either way I accept the decisions in both fights - they were close which could have gone either way.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn’t say Ortiz faded. I think he more just got caught. But Povetkin did much worse against AJ than Ortiz did against Wilder. I know you think AJ is much better, but as I point out earlier, Ortiz has lost twice to Wilder and was winning both fights. And Ortiz has been avoided throughout his career.
    This is a non point. Hence I brought up who lost against the best opposition. For all we know Ortiz knocks AJ out in a round or vice versa. Povetkin knocks Wilder out in a round or vice versa. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You can claim Ortiz is better than Povetkin. More skilled. Beats him. You can't claim he has better current form because he was knocked out by Wilder whilst Povetkin was beat by AJ.

This is why nerd (hardcore) fans are harsh on guys like Wilder and Ortiz. There's no substance to their records, you have to bring up outside stuff like "he was ducked" - coulda, woulda, shoulda. Means nothing.

How do we know Wilder beats Parker, Povetkin, Chisora, Whyte, Ruiz, Hunter? How do we know Ortiz beats them? They both have really weak records. It doesn't mean they couldn't or wouldn't have won. Just they haven't fought/beat anyone but each other.
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-23-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    For what it's worth I think Ortiz is still top ten easily. He's a skilled fighter.

The whole bogeyman thing is bit of a myth though isn't it? It was sort of born on the back of the Jennings win I think which was a good performance at the time but enough to instate someone as some sort of champion elect being swerved by every man and his dog?

Obviously he frightened the life out of Eddie Hearn who decided it was best to have Ortiz firmly in his back pocket to avoid having him undoubtedly knocking seven shades out of Joshua at the time. Far better to have Ortiz labour past Dave Allen......DAVE ALLEN!! Dave Allen of course who coming off a 'World class' win over Lucas Browne which bizarrely, allegedly put him within touching distance of a crack at a World title of sorts got completely outclassed and beaten to a pulp by David price.

Not to gloss over the good work he did with Wilder. He won the majority of the rounds they boxed. Is winning rounds against Wilder such a mean feat though? Do you have to be the cream of the crop to accomplish that?

Actually, it might be. People think just because Wilder is "boxing-challenged" that it doesn't take much to hang in there and win rounds against the man. Fury had the advantage of size, wile, and obvious boxing ability to beat Wilder. Very few other current heavyweights have all those tools in enough measure to do what Fury did. Ortiz was in fact winning his fights against Wilder. And not by running and staying away, but by boxing aggressively. So on balance I'd say yeah.... it might still be a pretty mean feat to win rounds against Wilder.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was thinking more guys like Molina, Szpilka, Duhaupas and Washington. All had no issue picking up rounds. Maybe not so much Washington. Wilder knew he was going to get him. The others though, they gave him some tough spots.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was thinking more guys like Molina, Szpilka, Duhaupas and Washington. All had no issue picking up rounds. Maybe not so much Washington. Wilder knew he was going to get him. The others though, they gave him some tough spots.

Not disagreeing, but with the 4 guys you mentioned, one had the sense that the hammer would fall at some point. In fact probably the opponents themselves had that in the back of their minds. With Ortiz though, he was busy trying to get his own hammer to fall. And in the process won many of the rounds. So although Ortiz was twice the TKO victim, I thought he stood out from the others.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not disagreeing, but with the 4 guys you mentioned, one had the sense that the hammer would fall at some point. In fact probably the opponents themselves had that in the back of their minds. With Ortiz though, he was busy trying to get his own hammer to fall. And in the process won many of the rounds. So although Ortiz was twice the TKO victim, I thought he stood out from the others.
    Yep I'd go along with that. Those guys had their moments, Duhaupas I think bashed Wilders eye up pretty good and gave him a decent argument but there was never that pre-fight danger there was with Ortiz.

Charley Burley

Thread Information