530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Another example of WBC incompetence/corruption

https://www.boxingscene.com/julio-ce...ematch--167162

Julio Cesar Martinez Falls Ill, Withdraws From McWilliams Arroyo Rematch

"Julio Cesar Martinez and McWilliams Arroyo have arrived at a familiar place – with their fight once again postponed.

BoxingScene.com has confirmed that Martinez was once again forced to withdraw from a scheduled WBC flyweight title defense versus Arroyo. The Mexico City native has reportedly fallen ill and will not be able to proceed with his scheduled rematch with Arroyo which was due to take place Saturday at Tech Port Arena in San Antonio, Texas.

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed the development after seeing BoxingScene's breaking news story, as did event promoter Matchroom Boxing.

"We [deeply] regret the WBC confirms that WBC flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez has pulled out of the fight vs interim WBC champion McWilliams Arroyo," Suliaman confirmed. "Exact details are yet to be disclosed . WBC will be addressing this terrible situation."

It remains unclear whether Arroyo will remain on the show. Messages left with Arroyo's co-promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Promociones Miguel Cotto went unreturned as this goes to publish.

The fallout marks the third time that Martinez has withdrawn from this specific matchup, once in each of the last three calendar years. The two were due to collide in a rematch of their November 2019 No-Contest in Manchester, New Hampshire, the lone occasion on what is now four attempts at producing a fight.

Mexico City’s Martinez (18-2, 14KOs) withdrew from a planned August 2020 title defense versus Puerto Rico’s Arroyo due to a chest infection. Their fight was back in play last February on a DAZN show in Miami Gardens headlined by Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. Martinez added a new plot twist in participating in all fight week events while concealing a hand injury which prevented him from entering the ring.

The WBC approved a request by Arroyo and his co-promoter Promociones Miguel Cotto—who guides the Puerto Rican’s career along with Golden Boy Promotions—to remain on the show in an interim title fight. Arroyo claimed the belt following a fifth-round knockout of late replacement Abraham ‘Choko’ Rodriguez, though he had to wait nearly nine months for the fight with Martinez to make its way back to the schedule.

Their November 19 DAZN-streamed title consolidation bout saw both boxers hit the canvas in the opening round and Arroyo down again in round two. The fight was stopped in between rounds when Arroyo was deemed unfit to continue due to a cut from an accidental clash of heads.

Martinez returned to the ring this past March 5, officially missing weight despite moving up to junior bantamweight to face former four-division champion Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez (51-3, 41KOs). The fight moved forward after Martinez met the same-day weigh-in terms, only to drop a lopsided twelve-round decision.

After the fight, the long-reigning WBC titlist was instructed to revisit his title consolidation clash with Arroyo who remains the interim titlist. The risk of having to reschedule the fight is now the burden of the WBC, who would be within its rights to strip the jovial but troubled flyweight titlist.

Aside from frequently cancelling on Arroyo, Martinez also bailed on a planned December 2020 title defense versus countryman and former strawweight champion Francisco ‘Chihaus’ Rodriguez—also in San Antonio—after suffering a non-Covid related illness.

Arroyo has not fought since the two-round no-contest with Martinez last year. He has fought just twice since the pandemic, with his ring activity greatly impacted by his elusive divisional rival.

The rest of the show proceeds as planned, though down to three title fights from four originally scheduled. Headlining the show, Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez (15-0, 10KOs) defends his WBC junior bantamweight title versus former two-time champ Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (50-5-1, 43KOs).

Also on the card, undisputed welterweight queen Jessica McCaskill attempts her second defense against Alma Ibarra. The show’s original opener—which is now elevated one spot higher—pits unified WBA/IBF junior featherweight titlist Murodjon Akhmadaliev and WBA mandatory challenger Ronny Rios in a bout that was rescheduled from the same November 19 show that featured Martinez-Arroyo, when Rios tested positive for Covid.

The new televised opener will pit Camden's Raymond Ford (11-0-1, 6KOs) and locally based Richard Medina (13-0, 7KOs) in a battle of unbeaten featherweight prospects.

Martinez has held the WBC title since scoring a ninth-round knockout of former champ Cristofer Rosales in their December 2019 vacant title fight in Phoenix, Arizona. Just four successful defenses have followed, including his no-contest with Arroyo."

Really??

Rest assured. Had it been the other way around...... the WBC would've ripped off that belt from McWilliams Arroyo so fast it would've made his head spin.

But Martinez is Mexican, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. Again and again and again.

This guy's a joke.

And the WBC of course covers for him.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Another example of WBC incompetence/corruption

not defending el rey but it has only been about seven months since the no contest with mcwilliams & el rey did step up to save a card with his fight against chocolatito. got to feel for mcwilliams though, several training camps & expenses, only for the fight to keep falling through. in maybe some slightly better wbc news they might be stripping juan francisco estrada of his franchise title, the less franchise titles the better i say. the wba still recognizing leo santa cruz as the super world featherweight champion is much worse for me. his last fight at featherweight was in february twenty nineteen, over three years ago
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There should be an accumulative penalty assessed to a fight er who repeatedly misses weight..ecspecially with the same opponent. You're a "champion" ffs. Just drop the belt and move up already. Even worse now Raymond Ford receives a premier spot on the card even though it was a robbery win earlier this year .

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

didn't the wba order leo santa cruz v leigh wood back in april of this year? arsen goulamirian is another inactive belt holder, hasn't for since december twenty nineteen
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    didn't the wba order leo santa cruz v leigh wood back in april of this year? arsen goulamirian is another inactive belt holder, hasn't for since december twenty nineteen

I never claimed the other orgs were squeaky clean.

For the record, I know very little of Leigh Wood. Judging from his record, I'm not surprised.

Enlighten me, because I may have missed a step here.

When Tank unceremoniously dumped Santa Cruz in a heap in the corner back on Oct 2020... Leo's WBA super feather was taken from him, was it not?

So in his only fight after that, he beat Keenan Carbajal in a non-title fight.

So... (please bear with me here) why would the WBA be ordering Leo to fight anybody? Unless his title was handed back to him after Tank moved up and presumably vacated super feather.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

For the record, I know very little of Leigh Wood. Judging from his record, I'm not surprised.

When Tank unceremoniously dumped Santa Cruz in a heap in the corner back on Oct 2020... Leo's WBA super feather was taken from him, was it not?

So... (please bear with me here) why would the WBA be ordering Leo to fight anybody? Unless his title was handed back to him after Tank moved up and presumably vacated super feather.
    my posts in this thread are not aimed at you, i am just highlighting other sanctioning body nonsense. i'm sure there are many threads on their bullshit but since i had mentioned leo santa cruz in my first post of this thread i thought i would continue here. you should do yourself a favour & watch leigh's fight with michael conlan, if you haven't already. when tank fought leo both the one thirty five & one thirty titles were on the line. leo's wba featherweight belt wasn't on the line as it was above the weight. the wba call this belt the world boxing association super world feather title. this is the one he still holds, whilst not fighting at the featherweight limit since february twenty nineteen. leigh won the world boxing association world feather title from can xu, who won the belt against jesus rojas in january twenty nineteen. the wba announced back around august of twenty twenty one that it was getting rid of interim belts & ordering unification fights between its champions, hence the wba ordering leo santa cruz v leigh wood in april. leo still holds a featherweight belt. hope that helps. my head hurts
    https://www.wbaboxing.com/boxing-new...d#.YsNYrUVBy3A

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leigh Wood v Conlon has been the best fight of the year.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my posts in this thread are not aimed at you, i am just highlighting other sanctioning body nonsense. i'm sure there are many threads on their bullshit but since i had mentioned leo santa cruz in my first post of this thread i thought i would continue here. you should do yourself a favour & watch leigh's fight with michael conlan, if you haven't already. when tank fought leo both the one thirty five & one thirty titles were on the line. leo's wba featherweight belt wasn't on the line as it was above the weight. the wba call this belt the world boxing association super world feather title. this is the one he still holds, whilst not fighting at the featherweight limit since february twenty nineteen. leigh won the world boxing association world feather title from can xu, who won the belt against jesus rojas in january twenty nineteen. the wba announced back around august of twenty twenty one that it was getting rid of interim belts & ordering unification fights between its champions, hence the wba ordering leo santa cruz v leigh wood in april. leo still holds a featherweight belt. hope that helps. my head hurts

Thanks for the explanation. Not sure I'm any clearer on that particular mess... but thanks for the explanation anyway.

(These alphabet orgs have a talent for convoluting the most straightforward title hierarchies to the point one needs an advanced degree in B.S. to understand).

No, I didn't take your last post as aimed at me. I just wanted to make it clear I'm not singling out ONLY the WBC. Sure... I dislike them the most... because I think they're the most blatantly corrupt and biased.

But no... none of the alphabet orgs can brag too much, either.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the explanation. Not sure I'm any clearer on that particular mess... but thanks for the explanation anyway.

(These alphabet orgs have a talent for convoluting the most straightforward title hierarchies to the point one needs an advanced degree in B.S. to understand).

No, I didn't take your last post as aimed at me. I just wanted to make it clear I'm not singling out ONLY the WBC. Sure... I dislike them the most... because I think they're the most blatantly corrupt and biased.

But no... none of the alphabet orgs can brag too much, either.
    i dislike the wba the most right now but that can change on a dime with some of the things these come up with

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like mcwilliams is going to have to wait even longer as a unification between el rey & sunny showtime edwards could be in the works for october

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"El Rey" means the king, a title used too loosely by the likes of JCM and Pauper Garcia.

As it stands, this "king" has bitched out 3 times against McWilliams, and now gets to go fight feather-fisted Sunny.

But hey... the WBC keeps brazenly protecting its countrymen.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i hope one of these scandals sticks & sinks the wba

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I hope someday the Sulaimans loosen their grip on the WBC and let another "family" take over their operations.

Corleone-style.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mauricio Sulaiman is delighted at the amount of huge fights boxing fans have witnessed in 2022.

The sport is finally bouncing back following the global pandemic and this year alone, boxing has witnessed three undisputed champions crowned as well as seven unifications.

The trio to win all four major belts in 2022 are Devin Haney, Jermall Charlo and Franchon Crews-Dezurn.

Fighters to have unified their respective divisions include 'Monster' Naoya Inoue at bantamweight, Errol Spence Jr at welterweight and Artur Beterbiev at light heavyweight.

Sulaiman - the WBC president, who ranks Canelo as the number one fighter in the world - admits the sport is going through a golden era of incredible fights and events all around the world without realising (it).

"Well, yeah, we're going through a golden era of boxing without knowing it. If you look at last year was a tremendous year of boxing," Sulaiman exclusively told Planet Sport.

"If you look at these first six months, what we have seen is unbelievable - 94,000 at Wembley (Fury vs Whyte), Dallas Cowboys Stadium 50,000 (Spence vs Ugas), 40,000 plus in Australia (Haney vs Kambosos Jr).

"Japan two sellout crowds of over 20,000 with Gennadiy Golovkin (against Ryota Murata) and Inoue (vs Nonito Donaire). Madison Square Garden - an unbelievable fight with Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano.

"Everything is happening all over the world. The pound-for-pound list is big trouble to (decide). "Out of the 10 (fighters), you are leaving even many fighters out so this is a great time for boxing. "We need promoters we need platforms we need organisations to work and keep it going, not ruin it. We cannot burst that bubble we have to continue building it," Sulaiman added.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mauricio Sulaiman is delighted at the amount of huge fights boxing fans have witnessed in 2022.

The sport is finally bouncing back following the global pandemic and this year alone, boxing has witnessed three undisputed champions crowned as well as seven unifications.

The trio to win all four major belts in 2022 are Devin Haney, Jermall Charlo and Franchon Crews-Dezurn.

Fighters to have unified their respective divisions include 'Monster' Naoya Inoue at bantamweight, Errol Spence Jr at welterweight and Artur Beterbiev at light heavyweight.

Sulaiman - the WBC president, who ranks Canelo as the number one fighter in the world - admits the sport is going through a golden era of incredible fights and events all around the world without realising (it).

"Well, yeah, we're going through a golden era of boxing without knowing it. If you look at last year was a tremendous year of boxing," Sulaiman exclusively told Planet Sport.

"If you look at these first six months, what we have seen is unbelievable - 94,000 at Wembley (Fury vs Whyte), Dallas Cowboys Stadium 50,000 (Spence vs Ugas), 40,000 plus in Australia (Haney vs Kambosos Jr).

"Japan two sellout crowds of over 20,000 with Gennadiy Golovkin (against Ryota Murata) and Inoue (vs Nonito Donaire). Madison Square Garden - an unbelievable fight with Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano.

"Everything is happening all over the world. The pound-for-pound list is big trouble to (decide). "Out of the 10 (fighters), you are leaving even many fighters out so this is a great time for boxing. "We need promoters we need platforms we need organisations to work and keep it going, not ruin it. We cannot burst that bubble we have to continue building it," Sulaiman added.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Glad Mauricio is so enthusiastic about boxing.

He says "We need promoters we need platforms we need organisations to work and keep it going, not ruin it."

What we actually need are reforms that will make boxing more attractive to real fans, not just the casuals.

We need less artificial, made-up belts (less useless trinkets)... more oversight and accountability on judging... easier pathways for promoters to pit the best against the best (at the right time... not years past the expiration date)... etc, etc.

The p4p list is not only "big trouble to decide." Nowadays it's worthless. Too much favoritism goes into deciding it.

p4p was well-intentioned at one point. If you take it at its face value and definition, it's a common denominator type of comparison... where weight is not a differentiator.

But the way it's used by different publications, it's a joke.

Thread Information