Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Pasty

I had a pasty once , and it had peas in with the meat, that's not a pasty is it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My dad used to go on a pasty making frenzy every once in a while putting all sorts of shit in um, whatever was to hand I think most of the time.

He's dead now but I assure you it wasnt pasty related.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Not sure if many have tried to buy a pasty t'up North in the UK?

I went to a bakery and was presented with these weird square flat things, labelled as a pasty, but not even close.

I have friends who ask us to bring Pasty's to them whenever we visit.

@Greenbeanz , do you know the story between the two Dewdney brothers? I've always wondered, never knew. I'm assuming it's a Noel and Liam style hatred.

For the record, Ginsters Pasty's are not even close to being like a real one!
    @0james0 You are right mate Ginsters are plain wrong. I don't Know the Dewdney story no, but It would be interesting to find out. Ivor seems the most successful but they have both done all right. I like Hills you know the Friary Mill ones.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I had a pasty once , and it had peas in with the meat, that's not a pasty is it.
    No that is not mate. Peas in a pasty is enough to get you sent to Coventry in the Westcountry. Do it twice and you end up in Dartmoor.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    There are at least 3 shops here, in Butte, that sell only pastys (no "-ies" to avoid confusion), and just about every restaurant serves them at least one night a week. On those nights you have to call your order in during the morning. In the old mining days they had a saying that, if there was a pasty in your lunch box, your wife still loved you. On top of the Continental Divide, over looking Butte, is the 90 foot "Our Lady of the Rockies" statue. It was built by money accumulated at countless pasty sales. My aunt estimates that she herself made nearly 10,000 of them over the years.
    My friend grew up in Minneapolis, and a guy moved there from Butte and opened a pasty shop, leaving my friend with a life-long addiction he has trouble feeding in Southern California. When I lived in Phoenix a pasty shop opened in Tempe, but, alas, they were "gourmet" and really not very good at all.
    Thats really interesting Grey. I am assuming that originally the recipe came over with the Cornish Miners in the 19th century. You are right about gourmet pastys too. The simplicity is what makes them, Good quality beef steak or skirt, Potatoes onions and swede and pastry and your good to go. Your aunt sounds like a great cook and that is a great saying about the pasty in your lunch box.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

prefer pies but cheese and onion is nice.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Get behind me Satan
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    There are at least 3 shops here, in Butte, that sell only pastys (no "-ies" to avoid confusion), and just about every restaurant serves them at least one night a week. On those nights you have to call your order in during the morning. In the old mining days they had a saying that, if there was a pasty in your lunch box, your wife still loved you. On top of the Continental Divide, over looking Butte, is the 90 foot "Our Lady of the Rockies" statue. It was built by money accumulated at countless pasty sales. My aunt estimates that she herself made nearly 10,000 of them over the years.
    My friend grew up in Minneapolis, and a guy moved there from Butte and opened a pasty shop, leaving my friend with a life-long addiction he has trouble feeding in Southern California. When I lived in Phoenix a pasty shop opened in Tempe, but, alas, they were "gourmet" and really not very good at all.
    Thats really interesting Grey. I am assuming that originally the recipe came over with the Cornish Miners in the 19th century. You are right about gourmet pastys too. The simplicity is what makes them, Good quality beef steak or skirt, Potatoes onions and swede and pastry and your good to go. Your aunt sounds like a great cook and that is a great saying about the pasty in your lunch box.
    If you ever come across a book entitled "Copper Camp" (a collection of stories about Butte published in 1943), it is very worth reading if only for the chapter on the pasty, how it is made, what ingredients are proper, and the divine nature of a truly gifted pasty-maker.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    No that is not mate. Peas in a pasty is enough to get you sent to Coventry in the Westcountry. Do it twice and you end up in Dartmoor.
    Prison.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Get behind me Satan
    Easy now bud, it's a Cheese and onion Slice, aright my love.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went to a bakery and was presented with these weird square flat things, labelled as a pasty, but not even close.

@Greenbeanz , do you know the story between the two Dewdney brothers? I've always wondered, never knew. I'm assuming it's a Noel and Liam style hatred.

@0james0 You are right mate Ginsters are plain wrong. I don't Know the Dewdney story no, but It would be interesting to find out. Ivor seems the most successful but they have both done all right. I like Hills you know the Friary Mill ones.
    I like Friary Mill, but they are quite posh pastys

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Friary Mill, but they are quite posh pastys, I like mine more rough and ready. Ivor Dewdneys are my favourite, despite the fact they use the cheapest meat and grubby spuds!

A good new pasty discovery I made recently was a little butchers, at the top of market road in Plympton. Massive pastys, loads of meat and cheap.

Thread Information