Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin v Jermall Charlo

WBC to order Gennady Golovkin to fight dangerous, unbeaten American Jermall Charlo, winner faces Canelo Alvarez

GGG’s potential next opponent is fighting this weekend and, assuming he is victorious, the WBC will then put their plan into action by officially ordering Golovkin to fight him next

The WBC are set to give Gennady Golovkin the chance to become mandatory challenger for a trilogy fight with Canelo Alvarez next week.

Mexico’s Alvarez is the current WBC middleweight champion – having dethroned Golovkin in their September rematch – however both of their bouts finished with some controversy over the scoring.

As a result, the governing body recently laid out a path for GGG to earn a third shot at Canelo, which would see him fight the current WBC ‘interim’ champion Jermall Charlo for the right to become mandatory contender.

Canelo was allowed a voluntary defence against Rocky Fielding which took place last week, while the 27-0, unbeaten Charlo is scheduled to fight Matt Korobov on Saturday.

Assuming Charlo is victorious, the WBC will then put their plan into action by officially ordering Golovkin to fight him next.

“The ruling of the convention is for Canelo to have a voluntary fight and then to have Charlo fight with Golovkin and the winner being the ultimate mandatory challenger to the middleweight division,” explained WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman on ThaBoxingVoice.

“We have this fight on Saturday for Charlo. After that, the process for Charlo vs Golovkin will begin.

“So, let’s wait to see what happens Saturday, then let’s wait to see what happens throughout the process of Charlo vs Golovkin.”

However, there could be roadblocks to this fight as Golovkin is now a TV free agent and is still considering his future following the first defeat of his career.

If the 36-year-old signs up with Showtime, a fight with Charlo (who is already on the network) could be easy to make. If he goes elsewhere, he may opt to forgo the WBC’s option and pursue another route.

“The order goes out for the fight and the date for purse bids – in case there’s no agreement – is set,” Sulaiman continued, explaining the upcoming process.

“So they start negotiations and if there’s no agreement we go to a purse bid.

“If either fighter decides not to participate in the process, then everything stops and we have to look into the next ruling.

“I hope that if Charlo wins, then the fight between Charlo and Golovkin takes place – which would be a huge fight – then that positions for a huge fight in 2019 with the winner fighting Canelo.”

There have also been suggestions in the media that Gennady Golovkin’s team could potentially try to leapfrog this arrangement and bypass the WBC to make a direct deal for the Canelo Alvarez trilogy fight to happen next.

While this clearly would not be to Jermall Charlo’s liking, the governing body would probably approve this scenario, according to their president.

“That would go to the WBC board of governors if there’s a request for a Canelo vs Golovkin fight we would do a vote,” Mauricio Sulaiman stated.

“My personal opinion from experience is that we would accept for that fight to take place.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...anelo-alvarez/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Jermall Charlo

And thus begins the decline of GGG

It was a hell of a ride while it lasted....I just think Jermall is quicker, he's faster, he's younger, he's taller, he's longer. Don't get me wrong, I think GGG can and will capitalize on mistakes Jermall makes I just think Jermall has been brought along slowly and steadily and I think he's primed for this one.

This is a tough test for an older fighter and 36 with his style...that's old....maybe he can chin Charlo but Charlo is going to have to make the mistakes for GGG to capitalize on.

I call Jermall Charlo UD

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope this one happens, guess I’d have to lean slightly to Charlo as well, his fight this weekend won’t tell us much though. Do figure the WBC are basically going to do Canelos bidding here, and I wonder if he really has any intention of fighting the winner. If it’s GGG, I think a trilogy is likely, but supposing this were a breakthrough fight for Charlo and he wins emphatically, I’d imagine it’s likely Canelo steers clear.

As I posted in another thread, I don’t understand how Alvarez’ Contract works, is he basically guaranteed mega money whoever he fights per his contract? He’s going to sell PPVs against virtually anyone anyways, I don’t think Charlo would bring much to the table there even if he beats ggg.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What should happen is GGG vs Charlo and then Canelo vs Jacobs. Then the winners face each other. There is no reason those things couldn’t happen.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    What should happen is GGG vs Charlo and then Canelo vs Jacobs. Then the winners face each other. There is no reason those things couldn’t happen.
    Well, I can think of 2 reasons those things won’t. First is GGG isn’t going to fight Charlo. They ordered him once he filed a petition to avoid. They order him again and they already know, it’s in the statement, that GGG will instead look to jump straight to Canelo. You could read my posts saying all this in September if you want a flashback to the future

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WBC = We Bum Canelo. Why come up with this BS.
    1. GGG/Charlo won’t happen
    2. Even if it did happen, if Charlo won, Canelo wouldn’t fight him.
    Why play these silly games?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd think that already beating the 'champion' twice would be quite sufficient to become at least the mandatory for the third championship shot. Meanwhile the wbc mandates that Canelo gets to fight a pesky cold or lumpy pillow on some over priced ppv while Golovkin jumps through more hoops and has gym wars with Father time weekly. Last week I saw Jacobs walking around a ring talking up Canelo to an announce crew and an hour later the same crew was talking about a blockbuster mega fight with Canelo v Lemieux may be in jeopardy . I'm actually interested to see where the interest of Charlo are now, he's been calling out Golovkin regularly on social media and interviews prior to the rematch. Wonder if he sees Canelo a bloated cash cow too and will start sizing him up. Right now even though Charlo needs to steady and step up the comp..I think he beats them both.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Charlo has actually said “he will chase Canelo” to whatever weight, wherever, whenever, however.

Thing is we all know Canelo gets unfair treatment, but when we argue that GGG is a victim in Canelo’s BS it gives GGG a pass to do however he chooses as well “but Canelo..”

A GGG/Charlo fight is the most interesting fight in the division. Don’t give GGG excuses out of it. Don’t give Charlo excuses out of it. It’s mandated, support the mandate and we get what we want. The market dictates, so dictate. People always whine “the media...” the media wants ratings, they serve the market. People never want to accept their own blame. If people allow crap they get crap. If the market demands the market gets. No excuses, make the fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Charlo has actually said “he will chase Canelo” to whatever weight, wherever, whenever, however.

Thing is we all know Canelo gets unfair treatment, but when we argue that GGG is a victim in Canelo’s BS it gives GGG a pass to do however he chooses as well “but Canelo..”

A GGG/Charlo fight is the most interesting fight in the division. Don’t give GGG excuses out of it. Don’t give Charlo excuses out of it. It’s mandated, support the mandate and we get what we want. The market dictates, so dictate. People always whine “the media...” the media wants ratings, they serve the market. People never want to accept their own blame. If people allow crap they get crap. If the market demands the market gets. No excuses, make the fight.
    Great to hear and at least he's consistent with it. Fact is yes Charlo is riding mandatory so he needs his shot to either solidify #1 with Golovkin or right off with Canelo. He is the shark in the water. But I have a harder time seeing Canelo stepping up than Golovkin. Call me skeptical. I don't hold it against Golovkin not going the Charlo route after Canelo screwed up the rematch plot and I don't think it was realistic given the time and the status of that potential fight, promotions etc to be a just a 'filler'. We'll see where Golovkin goes promo wise and both need their feet to the fire, but feel pretty confident Golovkin won't be getting steered into another showcase vs a guy Canelo knocked out 3,4 yrs ago like Canelo was-is likely being lined up for if he goes Lemieux.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG beats Jermall.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    GGG beats Jermall.
    He’d have to fight him. Canelo and Jacobs will begin negotiations next week. I’ve always assumed Canelo would be a punk as champion but maybe he’ll be the champion we’ve been longing for.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG beats Jermall.
    He’d have to fight him. Canelo and Jacobs will begin negotiations next week. I’ve always assumed Canelo would be a punk as champion but maybe he’ll be the champion we’ve been longing for.
    Yea and if he does, he beats him.

GGG already fought Jacobs, I'd like to see rematch tho.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG beats Jermall.

The more he avoids it the more doubts I have. I used to think like you, now I think more like Golovkin and see Charlo as a potential nightmare.

Yes, GGG owes us a rematch after Jacobs was unjustly given an L. 2 years we waited and 2 years we got no closer to it. GGG only has eyes for Canelo.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG beats Jermall.

The more he avoids it the more doubts I have. I used to think like you, now I think more like Golovkin and see Charlo as a potential nightmare.

Yes, GGG owes us a rematch after Jacobs was unjustly given an L. 2 years we waited and 2 years we got no closer to it. GGG only has eyes for Canelo.
    Can't blame GGG, complain all you like, it doesn't put food on his families table. I think looking after his family is his main priority (as it is for most of us), I can't begrudge someone for that.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG beats Jermall.

Can't blame GGG, complain all you like, it doesn't put food on his families table. I think looking after his family is his main priority (as it is for most of us), I can't begrudge someone for that.
    Truth is GGG is at the end of his career now and it is a couple of fights at best. I am sure he would like one more crack at Canelo, but he is only going to be closer to 40 with a style not built for an older fighter. He is no Hopkins. Best against best he is a match for Hopkins, but his style cannot last as long as Hopkins and even Hopkins took lots of rounds off against the likes of Taylor and was selective up in weight making a mistake thinking Calzaghe was too white and British. Went the distance with Kov of course which was a brave fight to take, but way over the hill and lost most of it.

Thread Information