Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Welterweight questions for 2020

Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

1. Is Spence really 100% back from his car accident? Will he face any of the other Big Four at welter in 2020?

2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out?

3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown?

4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter?

5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity?

6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter?

7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

Will Mikey Garcia see sense and fight at his best weight which is below welterweight?

Will Khan finally fight Brook so that both can retire in peace?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

1. Spence says he doesn’t want a tuneup, he wants a big fight next. We’ll see

2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out? No, TR fighters don’t take fights like that. They are ALL put in very wisely

3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown? Never know with Danny, just when I’m sure he’s overrated he outdoes my expectations

4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter? He has earned the right to pick and choose, but the fact he is picking and choosing makes him irrelevant to me. Just a side piece

5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity? Thurman is not a fighter, at his core

6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter? No

7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?
    I hope so but I think some demons stop it unfortunately. I won’t say what they are because it’s a personal matter and I hope it gets sorted but anyone with knowledge of the 2 fighters can figure it out.

Since nobody cares about 154(although viewership disagrees, but what do people that watch boxing know, it’s people that talk about boxing that have it all figured out) I’ll mention it here. I’m pumped to see J-Rock take apart Charlo, it’s coming

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

1. Spence says he doesn’t want a tuneup, he wants a big fight next. We’ll see

2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out? No, TR fighters don’t take fights like that. They are ALL put in very wisely

3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown? Never know with Danny, just when I’m sure he’s overrated he outdoes my expectations

4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter? He has earned the right to pick and choose, but the fact he is picking and choosing makes him irrelevant to me. Just a side piece

5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity? Thurman is not a fighter, at his core

6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter? No

I hope so but I think some demons stop it unfortunately. I won’t say what they are because it’s a personal matter and I hope it gets sorted but anyone with knowledge of the 2 fighters can figure it out.

Since nobody cares about 154(although viewership disagrees, but what do people that watch boxing know, it’s people that talk about boxing that have it all figured out) I’ll mention it here. I’m pumped to see J-Rock take apart Charlo, it’s coming

Well... it's a thread about welters, but since you brought it up.... yes.... J-Rock vs Charlo is definitely a must-see fight and I wouldn't bet on Charlo on that one. Charlo beat Harrison... but he was woefully losing the fight. Call it lack of concentration or whatever. It was Harrison's fight to lose and yup, he lost it. J-Rock vs Charlo would be a cracking fight, though.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not sure what the welterweights will do. I think that Crawford and Porter will end up happening. I think it has to. I’m never sure about Garcia. I would guess that he will try to get a spence fight as long as he wins his next fight. I doubt Pacquiao fights Spence or Crawford unless he sees Spence fight and realizes that he is damaged goods from his accident. And I just assumed that Thurman retired from boxing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And the one welterweight that we aren’t talking about is Ugas. He has a fight scheduled and he has proven to be a solid fighter. Many people thought he beat Porter. Also, Hooker came up to welter and fighters like Ramirez, Taylor, and Prograis I think will all be moving up soon enough.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m not sure what the welterweights will do. I think that Crawford and Porter will end up happening. I think it has to. I’m never sure about Garcia. I would guess that he will try to get a spence fight as long as he wins his next fight. I doubt Pacquiao fights Spence or Crawford unless he sees Spence fight and realizes that he is damaged goods from his accident. And I just assumed that Thurman retired from boxing.

If Crawford-Porter happens, I'll be squarely in Crawford's corner. Don't know why, but I've never been able to become a fan of Porter's. I hate his style. Some see it as grit and determination... I see it as headlong rushes into the opponent trying to create a WWE atmosphere. Porter's fights are almost always ugly as hell. The day someone KTFO's Porter, he'll win a lot of brownie points with me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

If Crawford-Porter happens, I'll be squarely in Crawford's corner. Don't know why, but I've never been able to become a fan of Porter's. I hate his style. Some see it as grit and determination... I see it as headlong rushes into the opponent trying to create a WWE atmosphere. Porter's fights are almost always ugly as hell. The day someone KTFO's Porter, he'll win a lot of brownie points with me.
    Same about Porter. I should like him, he’ll fight anyone and give 100% win or lose. But his fights are just so ugly.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree about Porter also, although he could beat anyone on the right night and his desire can never be in question. Surely Pacquiao is already in the big four, was that a typo, or who is ahead of him, Garcia?? Ugas was number one ranked for the WBA last I saw, it won't happen of course but if he got a shot at Manny that's very interesting. Josh Kelly could still get into the picture maybe, he should rematch the guy who should be renamed though.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to have Danny in there, even though he lost tight decisions to both Thurman and Porter. Make it a Big Five then, because Pacquiao has certainly crashed the party with his win over Thurman. Not sure I'd rush to put Ugas in there at this point though... and that goes for Kelly as well. We'll see how upcoming fights go for both fighters.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also want to point out since some people like to pretend the PBC stands in the way of fights, not only has Kenny Porter and Shawn Porter said they are willing to fight Crawford, the PBC has openly said they are on board for that as well. So as I said long ago(I know, I tell you all so many things long before it comes true but you like the liars so you listen to them) any propaganda about the PBC standing in the way is BS(I’m like a broken record with how often I tell you all stuff is BS and indeed it is BS)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Is Spence really 100% back from his car accident? Will he face any of the other Big Four at welter in 2020?

3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown?

4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter?

5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity?

6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter?

1. Good question. He looked really banged up and speech was off in recent interview but has to be expected. Sounds like he has total intent on in his words 'the big names' and according to him it was supposed to be Danny Garcia in January which would have been superb. He's targeting May but needs to be smart about it. Possibly Ugas who is respectable.

2. Did an interview on recent Dazn card and totally blew Porter fight off 'not looking at that and nothing is on the table'. Guy needs a direction..quickly.

3. Can see Danny sparking him in impressive fashion and maybe they'll make him comeback for Spence.

4. Oh yeh with certainty. Manny is standing in the sunset but you're as good as your last performance and he's one of the few with wide range name recognition.

5. Being honest Thurman has let a lot of it pass him by and squandered on the sideline, arm this, elbow that, hang nail and corns next who knows. Hope he heals and lights a fire in his belly but not holding my breath.

6. 147 is a shark tank and it's only deepening. A complete second tier sits ready to spring, Kavaliauskas sure to land another big one, Mikey looking for 1st win, Ugas, Jamal James, Mo Hooker and Prograis likely coming up, Ortiz Jr.. Buckle up it's going to be fun.

7. Both Crawford and Spence have some steading to do. Spence needs to be real about it and fans can't slag for a moderate return. Crawford seems adrift to me. Needs to sharpen up and appreciate his natural gifts and get back to skill. He fought like a bored fighter taking things for granted last out and got knocked on his arse for it. Need to see Spence first fight back to get an idea.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

another question would be how much longer will collazo continue to be a legit gatekeeper?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. I don't think Spence is 100%. Why do you leave Pacquiao out?

2. I think Porter/ Crawford gets made.

3. Garcia destroys Redkach. I wouldn't mind seeing rematches with both Porter and Thurman, if he can't get Spence.

4. Pacquiao will stick around but I don't see him facing Spence or Crawford.

5. Thurman will probably have a comeback fight (or 2) then maybe a cashout fight.

6. I don't think any of the big names at 140 will move up next year. Ramirez is the most likely.

7. I think it gets made next year.

I think Vergil Ortiz establishes himself as a major threat to the top guys next year.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In retrospect I should've referred to the Big Five. Pac after all, did beat Thurman.

Thread Information