Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Quiting

So I've seen many guys quit in the corner and shit but some are labeled as not having heart and others or not. One example is that Victor Ortiz quit against Maidana and against Lopez and was labeled as not having any heart and as being a quitter in the sport. Daniel Geale has twice told a ref that he didn't wanna continue. Against GGG and against Cotto and no one is saying anything about it. What makes one fighter a quiter and heartless and the other not ?
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Quiting

I think, in this case, it has more to do with the fact that nobody gives a flying fuck about Geale. He was brought in to lose and he did his job, whereas Victor Ortiz was being pushed as the next Oscar de la Hoya and quit against Maidana because, in his words, he was young and didn't deserve to be getting beat up like that - not exactly the words of a champion prizefighter.

There are a lot of degrees of quitting, and quitting takes a lot of different forms. You see a lot of guys quit mentally without actually verbally quitting. Guys go in with a game plan, it doesn't work out, they start getting hit and then they just quit mentally and either look for a nice place to fall on the canvas or go into survival mode to get to the final bell. I've seen many times where I believe quitting was justified - guys who are losing by a landslide, are physically broken and have nothing left in the tank who would just be getting off their stools to take more punishment.

That warrior's spirit can't be taught or learned, you either have it or you don't. That's what separates the men from the boys in boxing.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It also depends how you are doing in the fight. Geale was losing every round and knew by that time he didn't really have a chance to win so he would just keep getting beat up. Being a quitter is when you are in the fight and then quit because it gets too tough. For example, when freitas quit against Corrales. Freitas was winning every round then gets knocked down twice and quits. That's what makes you a quitter.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Geale was weak at the weight so deserves some credit.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is an old boxing maxim which states, given two men of equal skill and ability but different size, the bigger man wins. Robinson never asked for catches because he was the more skilled man along with many others. You know, the real p4p fighters. Why did the more skilled fighter in Cotto need to weaken the less skilled Geale?

Why does Geale now face the wrath of people for being forced to fight as half a man and then finishing like one?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Geale was losing every round and knew by that time he didn't really have a chance to win so he would just keep getting beat up.
    Well let's be real, it was only round 4. People have come back from worse to win. Geale quit and is a quitter, plain and simple, but that's why he was brought in to fight Cotto. They knew he didn't hit hard and he'd fold under the kind of pressure Cotto could put on him.

I think it's more shameful when the (so called) elite quit, like Freitas as you mentioned.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the quit last night was shocking. Wasnt really hurt badly. Could have been completely drained and just had no strenght or energy to throw punches.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Geale was losing every round and knew by that time he didn't really have a chance to win so he would just keep getting beat up.
    Well let's be real, it was only round 4. People have come back from worse to win. Geale quit and is a quitter, plain and simple, but that's why he was brought in to fight Cotto. They knew he didn't hit hard and he'd fold under the kind of pressure Cotto could put on him.

I think it's more shameful when the (so called) elite quit, like Freitas as you mentioned.
    I think that geale knew that he was done. He could probably feel the effects of the weight drain and knew that his energy was already gone and he had no chance.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happened last night was bad for the image. reputation and integrity of the sport. It calls it into disrepute and makes a mockery of all the brave men that have battled through unbelievable hardship, and seemingly insurmountable odds to pull a victory out of the fire. Still with any luck Canelo will spark the twat out or Golovkin will finally get the chance to retire the bloke for good at a weight not dictated by Michelle Cotto.

Geale surprised me by saying he had enough but then even a few rounds of sparring is unwise and terribly punishing after the equivalent of a bad bout of diarrhea or a similar dehydrating unnecessary loss of weight.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think in some cases quitting begins long before the opening bell. I don't know what is in a man's heart but Geale had that look on the ring walk.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I think, in this case, it has more to do with the fact that nobody gives a flying fuck about Geale. He was brought in to lose and he did his job, whereas Victor Ortiz was being pushed as the next Oscar de la Hoya and quit against Maidana because, in his words, he was young and didn't deserve to be getting beat up like that - not exactly the words of a champion prizefighter.

There are a lot of degrees of quitting, and quitting takes a lot of different forms. You see a lot of guys quit mentally without actually verbally quitting. Guys go in with a game plan, it doesn't work out, they start getting hit and then they just quit mentally and either look for a nice place to fall on the canvas or go into survival mode to get to the final bell. I've seen many times where I believe quitting was justified - guys who are losing by a landslide, are physically broken and have nothing left in the tank who would just be getting off their stools to take more punishment.

That warrior's spirit can't be taught or learned, you either have it or you don't. That's what separates the men from the boys in boxing.
    That.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    What happened last night was bad for the image. reputation and integrity of the sport. It calls it into disrepute and makes a mockery of all the brave men that have battled through unbelievable hardship, and seemingly insurmountable odds to pull a victory out of the fire. Still with any luck Canelo will spark the twat out or Golovkin will finally get the chance to retire the bloke for good at a weight not dictated by Michelle Cotto.

Geale surprised me by saying he had enough but then even a few rounds of sparring is unwise and terribly punishing after the equivalent of a bad bout of diarrhea or a similar dehydrating unnecessary loss of weight.
    @Greenbeanz you know I have alot of respect for your opinion on here but you're acting like Cotto is the first guy to have ever done this. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto drop weight under the 147 limit despite fighting at that limit before. Before that he made his name beating the corpse of the dehydrated Oscar De La Hoya. He also won a light-middleweight title at 150 so he could call himself an "8 division world champion" against a cheating fucker who should have been kicked out of the sport instead of making alot of money in another prize fight. Yet Pacquiao is hailed as one of the greatest things to happen to the sport. Cotto didn't invent it, but if it was acceptable for Pacquiao then why not maximise your bank account?
    Last edited by bzkfn; 06-08-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think in some cases quitting begins long before the opening bell.
    The "Michael Spinks" syndrome.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duran was the most popular boxer to have quit.

Boxing is the toughest sport in the world..people quit in other sports so perhaps we should really be a bit more lenient to those that quit in the ring considering your life is on the line.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post

@Greenbeanz you know I have alot of respect for your opinion on here but you're acting like Cotto is the first guy to have ever done this. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto drop weight under the 147 limit despite fighting at that limit before. Before that he made his name beating the corpse of the dehydrated Oscar De La Hoya. He also won a light-middleweight title at 150 so he could call himself an "8 division world champion" against a cheating fucker who should have been kicked out of the sport instead of making alot of money in another prize fight. Yet Pacquiao is hailed as one of the greatest things to happen to the sport. Cotto didn't event it, but if it was acceptable for Pacquiao then why not maximise your bank account?
    Fair point and I have as usual my tongue halfway in cheek when I say it but it does stick in the throat. I have respect for Cotto's ability as any boxing fan would, even now. As a bloke though he has always come across as a bit of a dick and the humble pie schtick always seemed like just that, schtick, an act, now the veneer has dropped and it's more obvious. You are right Manny was also a diva for asking Cotto to drop to 145 for the WBO and some Diamond bollocky belt but if anything that should be more reason fro Cotto to be consistent and demand that his opponents not be put through the same BS as he was.

The catchweight alone is not the real problem even though it stinks, it's the fact that it is for a belt that the most dominant middleweight for a long time really wants to fight for, and the chance for that same guy to become lineal champ. Cotto could drop it and still fight Canelo, who again is not a middleweight, and yet he again is asking for special treatment and even openly admitting he is not a middleweight and virtually dismissing GGG and his achievements by ignoring the elephant in the room. It sucks donkey's balls and just eats away at Cotto's own legacy.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information