Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Give Mayweather credit... it's Pac you should be disappointed in

Time to knock it off with the hating, everyone here knew Floyd is not a brawler and wasn't going to put on a Gatti/Ward with anyone. It was Pac who was supposed to bring the violence, excitement and the activity, and he couldn't do it because Mayweather wouldn't let him.

You all said Mayweather would run from Pac. The only time he ran was in the last seconds of a few rounds, because he knew Pac was trying to steal the round with a big flurry. For the rest of the time, he stood toe to toe in the middle of the ring, he stood in the pocket and he even stood against the ropes and let Pac throw (and miss) his big shots.

You all said Pacquiao was all wrong for Floyd because he was fast, he hit hard and he threw a ton of punches. Mayweather threw more punches than Pacquiao in this fight, 435 to 429. I don't think anyone has out thrown Pacquiao. Even vs Marquez 3, which was Pac's weakest effort and JMM won the fight and got robbed, Pac threw nearly 600 punches and landed at a 30% rate. Here he threw just over 400 and landed at a 19% rate. That wasn't by Manny's choice, it was Floyd's. PBF largely shut the down a southpaw who is considered (and deservedly so) the greatest, most dynamic OFFENSIVE fighter of this generation.

So give Floyd his credit. It wasn't Hagler/Hearns, but it wasn't Floyd's responsibility to make it Hagler/Hearns. Pac was considered by a lot of people to be the greatest fighter of this generation, the greatest fighter of the 2000s, and he had absolutely nothing for Floyd. And don't start on with the "5 years ago" nonsense. Both guys are past their best. Pac was still a world beater, if he couldn't catch Floyd now, he wasn't catching him in 2010-2012.

Maidana managed to throw 850 punches against Floyd. What's Pac's excuse?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Give Mayweather credit... it's Pac you should be disappointed in

I refuse to give Mayweather the credit. It was Pac who brought the excitement in that fight. He did what he could to bring the fight to Mayweather. But the latter was simply not up for a great fight worthy to be dubbed as the fight of the century. Heck, it was running of the century, hugging of the century, but never a fight to be remembered. A disgrace to boxing and an injustice to the boxing fans who thought it woukd be a great fight.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
    I refuse to give Mayweather the credit. It was Pac who brought the excitement in that fight. He did what he could to bring the fight to Mayweather. But the latter was simply not up for a great fight worthy to be dubbed as the fight of the century. Heck, it was running of the century, hugging of the century, but never a fight to be remembered. A disgrace to boxing and an injustice to the boxing fans who thought it woukd be a great fight.
    I give you a like for your loyalty to Manny! Respect that never let a brotha down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanflicker got this straight on. It was Manny's job to do what was needed ... dictate tempo, dictate distance, out work Floyd and win the fight. He couldn't and therefore didn't.

It was Floyd's job to win. Not make it an exciting fight. We know his style. Silly to expect different. I respect his boxing intelligence more than I do a mindless brawl.

It is what it is and it always was going to be.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather was up for doing what he's always done: winning. Pac was supposed to be the guy who could tag Floyd, get him out of his comfort zone and beat him up with his blitzing punches. He knew Mayweather was going to use movement and he wasn't just going to sit there and let Pac pound on him like Margarito or Rios. He knew what to expect, he told everyone Floyd was scared of him and that he would knock Floyd out, and he HAD NOTHING TO OFFER. He let Floyd coast to the easiest victory he's had in YEARS.

Again, even Maidana threw over 800 punches vs Floyd. Canelo threw 526, nearly 100 more than Pac. Robert Guerrero threw 580 punches vs Floyd. Cotto threw 500. What's Pac's excuse? He was forced to fight a Mayweather fight, he had nothing to offer him and Mayweather picked up the easiest 200 million anyone has ever made.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, credit to Money, he made the fight go as he needed the fight to go. I had some hope in the fourth round it was going to be interesting but adjustments were made. Could have done without the holding and running but it's part of the game. One email I got is already talking about a rematch, why, besides the money. I'm grateful I split the bill with someone, I would have felt like a fool if I spent the whole bean myself thinking it would have gone a different way. That's why I'm a terrible at making wagers, I always bet with my heart, you almost always lose money when you bet with your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac wasn't forced to do anything. Floyd had one aggressive moment the entire 12 rounds. The match was an embarrassment to boxing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Xwetie View Post
    I give you a like for your loyalty to Manny! Respect that never let a brotha down!
    Loyalty would be him admitting Floyd won but not giving up on pac and say he is still a modern great and will bounce back. But what he's doing isn't loyalty it's just plain silly and immature with no understanding of boxing.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are 100% correct @Beanflicker .

Floyd's stats are exactly on par with the stats he's had throughout the latter half of his career, whereas Manny threw 400 punches less than he's known to.

You can't blame Mayweather for Manny's poor performance--you must CREDIT him for it.

The tough part for die hard Pactards is that they could never see that Pac's opponents were always selected for specific reasons. Either at an unreasonable catch weight(Oscar), or after already having lost to someone else(Margarito & Hatton), or a come forward style with little defense (Rios). People who understand boxing could see that Floyd's skills are superior and that he would be able to nullify Pac's strengths and capitalize on his weaknesses whe not being the typical hand picked one dimensional fighter that Pac has been fed a steady diet of on his rise to the top.

So when Floyd doesn't run into every punch Manny throws, they think it's Floyd who is spoiling the fight--they can't see that it's their fighter who simply doesn't have the skill to bring the fight against a pure boxer. A true ATG.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Floyd's legs were gone.

I could have sworn I saw him wheeling off the ropes and right back in the middle of the ring with ease.

Freddy should build his fighters up instead of trying to tear other fighter's down.

"Floyd's legs are gone" is not a strategy.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post
    I thought Floyd's legs were gone.

I could have sworn I saw him wheeling off the ropes and right back in the middle of the ring with ease.

Freddy should build his fighters up instead of trying to tear other fighter's down.

"Floyd's legs are gone" is not a strategy.
    I wonder what Freddie Roach has done with his blueprints that he was using to beat Mayweather?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His legs are gone, he's adjusted. He doesn't move nearly as much and now sometimes he holds to get a break. Watch his old fights and you won't see him holding. His lateral quickness isn't the same and his ability to maintain movement isn't the same. Just like in fights, he adjusted.

But you are right that they looked for flaws in Floyd rather than improving themselves. They hoped to catch Floyd slipping but he's still far too good.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xwetie View Post
    Loyalty would be him admitting Floyd won but not giving up on pac and say he is still a modern great and will bounce back. But what he's doing isn't loyalty it's just plain silly and immature with no understanding of boxing.
    Don't know what I think of Manny bouncing back. Probably time for retirement. I didn't watch the post fight talks, the house I was at was full of drunkards and I must say I was dismal after the display Manny put on. I was also disappointed to hear him say he thinks he one the fight. I would have liked to have seen a more gracious defeat. Still think it was a shitty fight over all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Pac wasn't forced to do anything.
    So you're saying he CHOSE to throw a career low number of punches, 6 less than Mayweather himself? He chose to not land his right hook or straight right with any consistency? I guess that was his strategy going into the fight: don't throw many punches and land at a very low connect %

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Time to knock it off with the hating, everyone here knew Floyd is not a brawler and wasn't going to put on a Gatti/Ward with anyone. It was Pac who was supposed to bring the violence, excitement and the activity, and he couldn't do it because Mayweather wouldn't let him.

You all said Mayweather would run from Pac. The only time he ran was in the last seconds of a few rounds, because he knew Pac was trying to steal the round with a big flurry. For the rest of the time, he stood toe to toe in the middle of the ring, he stood in the pocket and he even stood against the ropes and let Pac throw (and miss) his big shots.

You all said Pacquiao was all wrong for Floyd because he was fast, he hit hard and he threw a ton of punches. Mayweather threw more punches than Pacquiao in this fight, 435 to 429. I don't think anyone has out thrown Pacquiao. Even vs Marquez 3, which was Pac's weakest effort and JMM won the fight and got robbed, Pac threw nearly 600 punches and landed at a 30% rate. Here he threw just over 400 and landed at a 19% rate. That wasn't by Manny's choice, it was Floyd's. PBF largely shut the down a southpaw who is considered (and deservedly so) the greatest, most dynamic OFFENSIVE fighter of this generation.

So give Floyd his credit. It wasn't Hagler/Hearns, but it wasn't Floyd's responsibility to make it Hagler/Hearns. Pac was considered by a lot of people to be the greatest fighter of this generation, the greatest fighter of the 2000s, and he had absolutely nothing for Floyd. And don't start on with the "5 years ago" nonsense. Both guys are past their best. Pac was still a world beater, if he couldn't catch Floyd now, he wasn't catching him in 2010-2012.

Maidana managed to throw 850 punches against Floyd. What's Pac's excuse?
    Great post. Won't sit well with the pacman fans but very true post

Thread Information