Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default An Idiot's Guide to "Why They Hate Us"

U.S. forces massacred tens of thousands of surrendered Iraqi troops retreating from Kuwait on February 26 and 27, 1991. The Lebanese-American journalist Joyce Chediac testified that:

“U.S. planes trapped the long convoys by disabling vehicles in the front, and at the rear, and then pounded the resulting traffic jams for hours. ‘It was like shooting fish in a barrel,’ said one U.S. pilot. On the sixty miles of coastal highway, Iraqi military units sit in gruesome repose, scorched skeletons of vehicles and men alike, black and awful under the sun…for 60 miles every vehicle was strafed or bombed, every windshield is shattered, every tank is burned, every truck is riddled with shell fragments. No survivors are known or likely…. ‘Even in Vietnam I didn’t see anything like this. It’s pathetic,’ said Major Bob Nugent, an Army intelligence officer…U.S. pilots took whatever bombs happened to be close to the flight deck, from cluster bombs to 500 pound bombs…U.S. forces continued to drop bombs on the convoys until all humans were killed. So many jets swarmed over the inland road that it created an aerial traffic jam, and combat air controllers feared midair collisions…. The victims were not offering resistance…it was simply a one-sided massacre of tens of thousands of people who had no ability to fight back or defend.” (Ramsey Clark et al., War Crimes: A Report on United States War Crimes Against Iraq to the Commission of Inquiry for the International War Crimes Tribunal, testimony of Joyce Chediac, emphasis added).

Less than a year after his forces conducted this colossal slaughter, U.S. President George H.W. Bush proclaimed that, “A world once divided into two armed camps now recognizes one sole and pre-eminent power, the United States of America. And they regard this with no dread. For the world trusts us with power, and the world is right. They trust us to be fair and restrained. They trust us to be on the side of decency. They trust us to do what’s right” (emphasis added).

An Idiot’s Guide to Why They Hate Us

As Noam Chomsky noted in 1992, reflecting on U.S. efforts to maximize suffering in Vietnam by blocking economic and humanitarian assistance to the nation it had devastated after the Vietnam War ended: “No degree of cruelty is too great for Washington sadists. The educated classes know enough to look the other way.”

“A Prodigious Effort”

Uncle Sam was only getting warmed up building its Iraqi and Muslim Body Counts in early 1991. As Sheldon Richman recently noted on CounterPunch:

“It takes prodigious effort to maintain an air of innocence about San Bernardino and Paris, because no one who claims to be informed can plead ignorance of the long history of U.S. and Western imperialism in the Muslim world. This includes the CIA’s subversion of Iranian democracy in 1953, the U.S. government’s systematic support of compliant autocratic and corrupt Arab monarchies and dictatorships, it’s empowering of Iraqi Shi’ite Muslims, and its unconditional backing of Israel’s brutal anti-Palestinian policies. (The savage 2014 war on Gaza killed many noncombatants.)”

“In the 10 years before the 9/11 attacks the administrations of George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton bombed Iraq while maintaining an embargo, most especially on equipment for the water and sanitation infrastructure the U.S. Air Force had destroyed during the Gulf War. Half a million children died. This was also when U.S. officials promised, then reneged on the promise, to remove U.S. forces from the Islamic holy sites in Saudi Arabia.”

“From the air Americans routinely kill noncombatants in Syria and Iraq, most recently this week, when ‘at least 36 civilians, including 20 children, in a village in eastern Syria’ were reportedly killed, according to McClatchyDC….Things like this happen all the time. The U.S. attack on the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, was especially egregious against this background of war crimes….The U.S. government has conducted war by remote-controlled drones since 2001 in a variety of places, including Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan.”

“A Price Worth Paying”

Five years after “the Highway of Death,” Bill Clinton’s U.S. Secretary of State Madeline Albright told CBS News’ Leslie Stahl that the death of 500,000 Iraqi children due to U.S.-led economic sanctions imposed after the first “Persian Gulf War” (a curious term for a one-sided U.S. assault) was a “price…worth paying” for the advancement of inherently noble U.S. goals. “The United States,” Secretary Albright explained three years later, “is good. We try to do our best everywhere.”

@walrus
    @Spicoli
    @Dia bando
    @Gandalf
    @Fenster

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: An Idiot's Guide to "Why They Hate Us"

If it happened, I don't condone, only abhor misuse of military power. War is a terrible thing which in would love to see irradicated from the planet. Tragedy happens in war, war is tragedy, but your priouvios post about not giving a shit about the dead american soldiers said a lot. The loss of life is terrible on both sides. I wish we could settle this shit with a boxing match or baseball game.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    If it happened, I don't condone, only abhor misuse of military power. War is a terrible thing which in would love to see irradicated from the planet. Tragedy happens in war, war is tragedy, but your priouvios post about not giving a shit about the dead american soldiers said a lot. The loss of life is terrible on both sides. I wish we could settle this shit with a boxing match or baseball game.
    it sure fucking DID say alot. It said I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT AMERICAN LIVES LOST IN AN ILLEGAL INVASION OF A SOVEREIGN NATION. Thats #1.

And #2 here's also what it said: UNTIL AN IRAQI LIFE IS EQUAL TO A RED WHITE & BLUE APPLE PIE AND BASEBALL AND 'LAND OF THE FREE/HOME OF THE BRAVE ANGLOS-SAXON LIFE' I WOULDNT GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO OH-BOO-HOO-HOO GOT BLOWN UP BY INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF WHATEVER COUNTRY IRAQ, AFGHNAISTAN, ETC.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    it sure fucking DID say alot. It said I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT AMERICAN LIVES LOST IN AN ILLEGAL INVASION OF A SOVEREIGN NATION. Thats #1.

And #2 here's also what it said: UNTIL AN IRAQI LIFE IS EQUAL TO A RED WHITE & BLUE APPLE PIE AND BASEBALL AND 'LAND OF THE FREE/HOME OF THE BRAVE ANGLOS-SAXON LIFE' I WOULDNT GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO OH-BOO-HOO-HOO GOT BLOWN UP BY INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF WHATEVER COUNTRY IRAQ, AFGHNAISTAN, ETC.
    No matter how you try to rephrase it, you are still Ali Habib Brock

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

No matter how you try to rephrase it, you are still Ali Habib Brock
    No matter how many "candles" you ~took~ when it was dark, .......

Thread Information