Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Blueprint to beat Broner.

Lets look at his last 2 fights.

Gavin Rees - hit Broner numerous times until round 3, landing quick combos, but lacked the power to really trouble him, but he went forward for most of the fight and although Broner wasn't in danger at all, Rees just showed me that Broner isn't as good defensively as he thinks he is.

Paulie - Broner struggled a bit more and nothing landed solid on Paulie really, Paulies jab worked a treat and Broner looked very flat at times. The body shots landed every time Paulie threw one.

Do you think these two guys, who are not big punchers have set the blueprint on beating Broner?

I'm not the kind of person that watches fights and looks for weaknesses, but these ones jump out at me because he's supposed to be the next big thing.

Plus he didn't seem anywhere near as powerful at WW.

Now say Matthysse lands a flush shot? or Maidana lands one?

Or what if he fought Khan? I think Khan dances round him, Khan is, in my eyes the fastest hands in the division, maybe even boxing in general, and he's not entirely feather fisted, he can drop people.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Vendettos; 06-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Blueprint to beat Broner.

lets be honest he won fairly comfortably in both of those fights

yeah both fighters landed a few and pauli even won his fair share of rounds but broner never really looked out of his comfort zone

i think if the punches had have been heavier he would have adapted

i dont like him and would like to see him KOed as it seems everyone else would

hes a big fella for a lightweight and looks more at home at welter, once he starts fighting better welterweights / light welters then lets see then how he copes
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

yeah both fighters landed a few and pauli even won his fair share of rounds but broner never really looked out of his comfort zone

hes a big fella for a lightweight and looks more at home at welter, once he starts fighting better welterweights / light welters then lets see then how he copes
    The Rees fight was comfortable, but I scored it 1 round to Broner vs Paulie so not that comfortable.

If Broner was up against Khan on Saturday he'd have a loss. Plain and simple.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

The Rees fight was comfortable, but I scored it 1 round to Broner vs Paulie so not that comfortable.

I don't think you can say its that simple with Khans chin. Amir would win every second of the fight he didn't spend on queer street, but he'd have to be so careful and could go at any second. Broner is a better counter puncher than Danny Garcia or Julio Diaz that's for sure. I think there's also a pretty good chance Khan is half spent myself.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At welterweight he could be out boxed by Devon and Khan who have the height, reach and speed. Bradley has better conditioning.

Floyd is faster and all round better.

Unsure what is left of Manny and JMM. At light welter Garcia and Mattyhsse have the power to hurt Broner and beat him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You really don't need a master blue print, just a hard hat, a pick and an axe so to speak. He's really not that complicated it would appear. He is a very very complacent type who waits and expects his counter opportunity more than assert at setting them up. And he looks to do it all for the most part in a straight tall line with little to no lateral movement. I am hard pressed to think of a spell over last few where he has even tried to find his backfoot...set up off the side or just plain show this "outstanding boxer" he proclaims to be. He's an inside fighter with not great defense, flat wide feet and its not so much a shoulder roll as its more used as a shoulder wall to back opponents. Walls can be scaled, gone around. Work rate fast hands behind a good jab and an immunity to bullshit slight of hands and over sold facial expressions will beat him. He's biting a style he knows little of.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 06-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I don't think you can say its that simple with Khans chin. Amir would win every second of the fight he didn't spend on queer street, but he'd have to be so careful and could go at any second. Broner is a better counter puncher than Danny Garcia or Julio Diaz that's for sure. I think there's also a pretty good chance Khan is half spent myself.
    This is not lightweight though, he's not that powerful at WW, I could clearly see that, I mean khan Tkod Malignaggi and Broner couldn't.

Khan is taller and has a better reach than Broner and he's quicker and he moves with ease.

I see khan just dancing circles around Broner.

I've already seen Broner is 2 very close fights against average guys.

I say it again, he's not everything that people say he is.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is not lightweight though, he's not that powerful at WW, I could clearly see that, I mean khan Tkod Malignaggi and Broner couldn't.

Khan is taller and has a better reach than Broner and he's quicker and he moves with ease.

I don't disagree with any of this, it's just that Khan has absolutely no punch resistance. He was in serious trouble against a badly faded never was lightweight in his last go, Broner is at least more dangerous than Diaz. As I said, Khan could probably box his head off as long as he didn't get touched, but I wouldn't be confident about that at this point. Half of it is down to Khan not looking quite as sharp offensively either, had he just shown the form he did against Malignaggi it would be easy to say he'd beat Broner right now, but who knows where he is really at.

I like the fight and all, just can't see either side being eager to make it happen.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't disagree with any of this, it's just that Khan has absolutely no punch resistance. He was in serious trouble against a badly faded never was lightweight in his last go, Broner is at least more dangerous than Diaz. As I said, Khan could probably box his head off as long as he didn't get touched, but I wouldn't be confident about that at this point. Half of it is down to Khan not looking quite as sharp offensively either, had he just shown the form he did against Malignaggi it would be easy to say he'd beat Broner right now, but who knows where he is really at.

I like the fight and all, just can't see either side being eager to make it happen.
    I agree with you on this, he shouldn't have been in that sort of trouble against the likes of Diaz even though Diaz is a puncher.

The khan that beat Maidana would have eased past Diaz.

I also agree that Khan vs Broner isn't a good move for either fighter right now.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the huge flaw in the logic of all this Broner bashing: you guys are all asuming that Broner would fight everyone the same way he fought Gavin Rees and Malignaggi.

Broner stood still in front of those guys, in all likelyhood, because they were not known as big punchers (goes triple for Paulie). You guys are going out on a limb assuming that Broner would employ the same tactics against a guy like Matthyse, Garcia, or anyone else with a respectable punch.

Do you guys honestly believe you're uncovering some kind of secret, or that you have more insight into boxing tactics than the professionals?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Here's the huge flaw in the logic of all this Broner bashing: you guys are all asuming that Broner would fight everyone the same way he fought Gavin Rees and Malignaggi.

Broner stood still in front of those guys, in all likelyhood, because they were not known as big punchers (goes triple for Paulie). You guys are going out on a limb assuming that Broner would employ the same tactics against a guy like Matthyse, Garcia, or anyone else with a respectable punch.

Do you guys honestly believe you're uncovering some kind of secret, or that you have more insight into boxing tactics than the professionals?
    It's just a bit of a stretch imo, to suggest that Broner is literally letting those guys hit him over and over because they aren't powerful. Who the hell does that at world level? He fought Ponce de leon the same way and easily could have lost that one. There are guys who know how to box and punch you know, he's not always going to have the luxury of fighting one or the other. I'm also not sure at all what the last bit is supposed to mean Until he is actually put in the ring with a big puncher around his size, how do you know that "the professionals" aren't just as aware of his shortcomings as we are pretending to be? It remains to be seen how he would fight someone like Matthyse or Garcia, and I'm hopeful that we'll find out how he deals with that soon enough.
    Last edited by p4pking; 06-25-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest he's been in with Rees and Paulie. Neither can really dig and neither are really natural Welters. Broner was as active as he needed to be to win the fight. Once the level of opposition improves, so will Broner imo.

I don't like the guy but he fought this way against Rees and Paulie purely because he didn't respect them. That kind of mindset might catch up with him eventually, but for now, there's still no blueprint. That said, he could simply get stretched out by some of the 140's/147's out there - but something tells me Broner has many more levels to go to.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Thats really putting lipstick on a pig and assuming alot. Have you seen fights others have missed? Fans believe what they see and judge a guy accordingly. A professional ring is a helluva place to experiment, they call that a gym and a sparring session. If he thinks he really is THAT good that he only has to bring %75 to the table, take a guy for granted and can suddenly flip a switch into some superior model when it gets deep against "real" threats and risk getting wrecked, he's a bigger fool than I thought. That'll get you torched. He doesn't get that convenience and pass at this stage.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    To be honest he's been in with Rees and Paulie. Neither can really dig and neither are really natural Welters. Broner was as active as he needed to be to win the fight. Once the level of opposition improves, so will Broner imo.

I don't like the guy but he fought this way against Rees and Paulie purely because he didn't respect them. That kind of mindset might catch up with him eventually, but for now, there's still no blueprint. That said, he could simply get stretched out by some of the 140's/147's out there - but something tells me Broner has many more levels to go to.
    It's certainly possible you're right, but when he's losing rounds in the process you'd think he would gain a little bit of respect surely It's not as though Paulie just couldn't hurt him and that's that, he was giving Broner a lot to think about and it didn't seem to light a fire under the guy at any point. The fight was a lot closer than it should have been if Broner does in fact have these other gears which he appears he should.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Thats really putting lipstick on a pig and assuming alot. Have you seen fights others have missed?
    I don't remember him doing it with anyone else. Did he do it with Ponce De Leon? I can't remember him doing it to that degree with anyone besides Paulie and Rees.

Fans can view what they want and judge accordingly, sure. If you want to look at a guy with 27 fights, and assume he'll always fight the way he did in 2 of those 27 fights, be my guest. There's no laws against being stupid.

Thread Information