Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How long to get back into competitive shape?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How long to get back into competitive shape?

Hi,

I know I've been grizzling and moaning about my knee waaaaaay too much - this is the last post I'll mention it now I promise!

Just wondering how long people think it'd take to be physically and mentally ready to compete again after an extended lay off due to injury.

That would be the time from being able to resume normal activity since I know recovery will vary with the type of injury.

Before I injured my knee I competed in the 2006 nationals and came back with a lot of ideas of ways to perform better this year.

Nationals are in November and I really wanted to make it this year but don't know whether or not I'm just being unrealistic.

Hopefully knee injury won't take more than another month to recover (fingers crossed!).
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How long to get back into competitive shape?

Depends how long your out for and what you've done before hand.

Also what you do during the rest... if you stay active and train lightly then more than likely not long at all if you've already done a lot of training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the positive reply Adam,

I've been able to do some fitness work and the occasional boxing session so haven't been completely out but compared to what I used to do it has been pretty pathetic!

Last year I was the least experienced at the nationals in my weight division and because of my injury the experience gap will be bigger now.

Before I was injured fitness was the one thing I felt I could bet on to lift me above my opponents. Now my best weapon has been compromised.

I'm worried that If I bet on something that's unrealistic I'm just going to be bummed because I can't do it and perform poorly in other areas of my life as a consequence.

I guess a big fault I have is not knowing how to have a flexible goal. I tend to see things as either doing what I planned or failing. Not strong on the concept of compromise I'm afraid!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well, how do you know they haven't been out with injuries also? It happens. What you may have missed in the gym you (hopefully) have been watching and studying fights and learning from them.

It's good to set short, mid,long term goals to stay focused and to give positive reinforcement.
    You have 7 months, lots can happen in that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to know your body. What pace do you fight at? Are you very tensed when you fight or is your body relaxed? You have to know what youre trying to accomplish strategically because thats what you will be asking your body to do for you. Try to get a guage of this because you want to get your body just right to accomplish what it needs to without over or under training. Over training is a pretty big problem and just as bad as not doing enough. The point is that you shouldnt just train just for the sake of training. Train smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC thanks everyone,

I guess I'll just have to think about it a bit more since you're right Thomas - A more targeted approach to decide what I need to do will be much better.

I never would have gotten myself into this position if I'd been smarter about the way I trained in the first place.

I think I can work out what that's meant to be if I sit down and think about it and then I'll know what's realistic and what's not.

You're also right Missy - I've had more time to think about the way I should have been training since injuring myself and that should pay off hopefully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly Sharla'
    Being back in training,everything hurts
    I look impressive
    But those flexing muscles all hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I expect some pain,

If it's not injury pain i might enjoy it though after all this time of not being able to do as much as I'd like.

I do plan to get back into it either way - just wasn't sure and need to think a bit about what sort of time line is reasonable.

Thread Information