Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Barry Hearn documentary on BBC2

Anyone watch the Hearn documentary this evening? Thought it was a really good watch, and does give a decent insight about what he's about. In fairness though, he's always been brash and bigmouthed, and its taken him far fair play to him.

Comes across as a likeable guy, although it didn't really go into any of the conflicts or problems he's had in boxing so much.

Should be available on iPlayer for those of you in the UK.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Barry Hearn documentary on BBC2

Missed it. Give us a synopsis of what happens please.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Missed it. Give us a synopsis of what happens please.
    Hearn explains how he makes Steve Davis interesting. Hearn explains how Eubank was a really good fighter. Hearn explains how girls jumping up and down in very little clothing makes darts interesting. Hearn goes fishing.

Despite this, he comes across as a bit of a likeable cheeky chappie, while I'm sure he can be ruthless when the cameras aren't there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw it. I think Hearn is pretty awesome. Look how quickly Matchroom became a big cheese in Boxing again just because of his son Eddies interest. Prizefighter, Froch, Brook, etc
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I saw it. I think Hearn is pretty awesome. Look how quickly Matchroom became a big cheese in Boxing again just because of his son Eddies interest. Prizefighter, Froch, Brook, etc
    Well, I think most of the promoters are alright when compared to Frank Warren.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Maloney because he is little, and seems to actually give a f%&& about his boxers.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After hitting the jackpot in the eighties with snooker and the Nugget he hit it again a decade ago with darts*. Darts is the biggest thing on Sky Sports apart from the Premier League and its massive success and the fact that Hearn basically owns the show and means that he can dictate a little bit to Sky, a little bit like music impressario Al Haymon gets his boxers on HBO because they want to show his music stars, which is why Hearn's boxing promotional outfit are on Sky and Warren/Hatton etc. got the boot. Warren started BoxNation which I'm sure won't be a success and after that he's got no TV deal. From the outside looking in he's losing fighters and it looks like the beginning of the end for him. Hatton is so fucked he's thinking of teaming up with former enemy Warren and putting his fighters on BoxNation. Smart money says Hearn owns British boxing in five years.

*For those non-Brits, darts in Britain sees crowds of sometimes over ten thousand packing arenas to watch two highly physically-conditioned athletes throw tungsten darts at a board.
    Last edited by Kirkland Laing; 06-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched this on I player, Barry hearn actually has the best job in the world. It's amazing what he has actually done for the sport and many other sports. Was a really good watch though. It's good to see the relationships that he has with all the fighters, he's a highly motivating man!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    I like Maloney because he is little, and seems to actually give a f%&& about his boxers.
    LOL never have I heard a more incorrect statement. Actually, you're right that he's little. Warren is a saint compared to Maloney..

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    LOL never have I heard a more incorrect statement. Actually, you're right that he's little. Warren is a saint compared to Maloney..
    Creosote fumes= fuzzy thinking

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should probably not use that stuff, I doubt it's good for your skin and I hear side effects include you making retarded posts on boxing forums about how great Joe Calzaghe was. Just a heads up..

I recommend protan

P.S. I had a good friend promoted by Frank Maloney who also obviously knew what else was happening in the stable with other fighters. What's your source? he's one of the tightest promoters around and left him inactive for long periods when he was on a roll. My friend left him and made almost 3/4 more of his biggest payday instantly with Warren.

Again, zero argument so you attempt comedy..with horrendous results.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should probably not use that stuff, I doubt it's good for your skin and I hear side effects include you making retarded posts on boxing forums about how great Joe Calzaghe was. Just a heads up..

I recommend protan

P.S. I had a good friend promoted by Frank Maloney who also obviously knew what else was happening in the stable with other fighters. What's your source? he's one of the tightest promoters around and left him inactive for long periods when he was on a roll. My friend left him and made almost 3/4 more of his biggest payday instantly with Warren.

1. I don't remember evermaking posts about how great Calzaghe was, I was merely refuting your over emotional tirades.
    2.I made the point that I liked Frank Maloney to which you again, probably because of your older man crush, tried to start an argument asking me for sources?

Not being one of Frank Warren's boys I couldn't possibly comment on any incentives that he may be offering, I was simply saying that from an outsiders view Frank Maloney seems to give a monkeys about his fighters. Enough to wager thousands of his own money in backing Lewis on a bet only to lose it after he was robbed against Holyfield, enough to help Jason Booth fight back from alcohol addiction, enough to not rush prospects like Price. Enough for even ex fighters like Rendall Monroe to speak very highly and gratefully of their time with him. Enough that other Promoters like Hatton and Warren are happy to work with him.The man has recently had a heart attack and the indignity of being accused for having something to do with Darren Sutherland killing himself and still he has not thrown the towel in. Maloney has also fought himself and I think while like any promoter he will have his critics he certainly does not seem to be the worst.

Zero Argument? want to teach me how to suck eggs next?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I recommend protan

1. I don't remember evermaking posts about how great Calzaghe was, I was merely refuting your over emotional tirades.
    2.I made the point that I liked Frank Maloney to which you again, probably because of your older man crush, tried to start an argument asking me for sources?

Not being one of Frank Warren's boys I couldn't possibly comment on any incentives that he may be offering, I was simply saying that from an outsiders view Frank Maloney seems to give a monkeys about his fighters. Enough to wager thousands of his own money in backing Lewis on a bet only to lose it after he was robbed against Holyfield, enough to help Jason Booth fight back from alcohol addiction, enough to not rush prospects like Price. Enough for even ex fighters like Rendall Monroe to speak very highly and gratefully of their time with him. Enough that other Promoters like Hatton and Warren are happy to work with him.The man has recently had a heart attack and the indignity of being accused for having something to do with Darren Sutherland killing himself and still he has not thrown the towel in. Maloney has also fought himself and I think while like any promoter he will have his critics he certainly does not seem to be the worst.

Zero Argument? want to teach me how to suck eggs next?
    Haha, you're funny Beanz! I didn't try to start an argument. You can like who you want. Who am I to question that? I merely refuted your statement that he gave a shit.

I'm sure you could find many similar examples of generosity with Warren..hell, even Arum and Don King.

Is it really giving a shit about your fighter or protecting your investment? All I'll say is that there are other promoters if you're not a future-elite who will be more accomodating and make himself money at the same time.

Also, you're projecting on me with your second point - You tag me in posts sixty times a day and respond to my posts with snyde remarks about fake tan. I'm thinking you have a fetish, Beanz..but unfortunately for you I don't dabble in the stuff outside of competition

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also think that Maloney appears to care more about his fighters than Warren does. As for Warren, I bet your friend wouldn't be multiplying his purse if he were switching now, as the loss of Sky Sports will have dramatically reduced the money on offer from the Warren camp.

Obviously, without discussing individuals, we have to take you at your word, but if your mate prefers Warren then I guess that's up to him.

When it comes to likeability among the promoters, and how well they come across when interviewed, Warren comes across very badly, while Maloney is better, and Hearn comes across most likeable of all.

Thread Information