Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bring back 15 round world title bouts

And weigh ins on the same day as the fight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bring back 15 round world title bouts

Why? I like 15 round fights, but is it worth putting extra risk on athletes in an already incredibly dangerous sport? I don't think it is, I'm happy with 10 and 12 rounders. I admire the guys who went 15 rounds because you have to have great stamina and be tough as nails, but I don't think they are necessary.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the earlier weigh ins thats better for the fighters healths

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Why? I like 15 round fights, but is it worth putting extra risk on athletes in an already incredibly dangerous sport? I don't think it is, I'm happy with 10 and 12 rounders. I admire the guys who went 15 rounds because you have to have great stamina and be tough as nails, but I don't think they are necessary.
    Yea i agree thats old and finished i don't wana see 15 rounds back after all tragedy i see but just think Ali needed them extra rounds to win so it was better for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is there any evidence that reducing world title fights from 15 to 12 rounds resulted in less ring death or injury? Not that I can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zzz
    Is there any evidence that reducing world title fights from 15 to 12 rounds resulted in less ring death or injury? Not that I can see.
    Maybe not, but can you imagine the effects of fighting just a few hours after weighing in? Maybe it would stop some fighters from cutting too much weight, knowing they won't have as much time to rehydrate, but it will just be dangerous above everything else. Add that in with 15 round fights...I wouldn't want to see that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed "blood and guts" Boom boom Mancini 15 round fights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TYSONBRUNO
    I like the earlier weigh ins thats better for the fighters healths
    Its a bit 'catch-22' this one. If you have the weigh-in on the day of the fight you have the risk of a fighter who has struggled to make weight getting into the ring de-hydrated and evidence shows that this causes a lack of protective fluid around the brain which leads to injury in the later rounds (ie between 12 and 15). However, with the weigh-in the day before the fight it can lead to a huge difference in weight between the fighters come fight time. This is especially prevalent if one of the fighters is boiling down and the other stepping up or a 'natural'. I think there should be two weigh-ins... the official one the day before (as is the case now) but the fighters should also have to weigh into the ring and not to be more than, say, 4 pounds over the weight limit. I do agree though that 15 round fights were better for world title fights. Rounds 13 - 15 weren't known as the championship rounds for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SEANIE
    And weigh ins on the same day as the fight.
    Wish I could regurgitate the exact article, but I did read one a while back that stated they had evidence of most brain damage that takes place during a prize-fighter (back then), occurred from rounds 12-15. Whether it's true or not, wouldn't we rather play it safe? I like the excitement as much as anyone else but I don't see a couple of extra rounds being worth more people living their life as a vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft
    Hehe as do I, but remember the reason Deuk Koo Kim died in his fight with Mancini was due to the fact that he took more punishment than he should have, and he took it for a total of 14 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well i guess we won't ever see a HW bout go fifteen rounds...esp not as lazy as they are nowadays...

i think the major championship fights should go fifteen..but barrera v morrales and an extra nine rounds combined in their three fights and erik would be dead....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea lets go back to 15 rounders was just f uckin awsome
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft
    Unfortunately, it was "Boom Boom's" fight with Duk Koo Kim that cemented the end of 15 rounders...I do agree that there is no correlation between 15 rounders and more deaths rather than the pure numbers of rounds that increase the frequency of ring deaths so what does that mean?...that if you do away with 15 rounders people will theoretically fight more 10-12 rounders so the total number of rounds will not be decreased and thus frequency of death is not deminished...theoretically of course, not taking into account the fatigue assoiciated with 15 rounders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually there is since the advent of the 12 round championship in the 80's fatalities immediatly decreased
    There was no decade before the 80s with less then 90 fatalities,there hasnt been a decade since with more then 72
    This decade may change that though,with the increasing popularity of ToughMan style competions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Actually there is since the advent of the 12 round championship in the 80's fatalities immediatly decreased
    There was no decade before the 80s with less then 90 fatalities,there hasnt been a decade since with more then 72
    This decade may change that though,with the increasing popularity of ToughMan style competions
    And these fatalities you speak of were in world title fights? Are you sure? Lets make sure we understand the reason for these drops. Might just as easily be due to increased awareness, and nothing at all to do with going to 12 rounds in title fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hell yeah, i would love to see 15rd champion ship fights back in play and 10 or 12 rds for non-title fights.
    there would be far less contraversial draws , cause the fighters would have 3 more rds to convince the judges that they deserve the win. and also 15 is an un-even number which will also reduce the chance of a draw....and for all those concerned about a fighters health.......for fwocks sake, they're there to hurt each other not take them on a date they know the risks , its a gladiators game(well it use to be) they shouldnt be fighting in they're worried about braking a nail :P

ps....i think the last 15rd fight was 1987 or something like that. and since then there has been a couple of deaths and loads of serious injuries. so you cant stop ring injuries but they can minimize them which they have done by making the ref more aware and to step in if a fighter is getting unecicerally hurt. and they should also have the 3 judges which they have , but also appiont the 3rd man in the ring(the ref) as a 4th judge. i mean the ref as a better view than anyone and having a 4th judge would minimize the chances of a pesky draw even further
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Thread Information