Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amir Khan more dangerous then ever!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan more dangerous then ever!

Let me ask the question: IF (and yes it's a big 'IF') Khan had an awesome chin, how good would he be?

I am not particularly a fan and certainly don't get caught up in the being British thing, but I think as a fighter he has crazy skills. Can't remember too many fighters I have ever seen with speed like that! Offensively I think he is fantastic! His defence and chin will always be his downfall though!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    Probably said it 100 times, Khan has great skills and could beat anyone in or around his weight. That chin or whatever it is will always be a high risk to let him down.

He could move up and beat Ward, I still wouldn't be a fan. For not demanding a rematch with Prescott is unforgiveable in my eyes. Some fighters would have taken the fight for free if it meant getting the chance to put the record straight.

Entertaining when he fights? yes but there's definitely something missing. He went out of his way to get the Peterson result overturned, before any drugs issue was out, it was all about the man in the hat. Shady dealings it did look like but where was the burning desire to put the record straight with his fists?. Maidana was worthy of a rematch but no chance that was going to happen.

Why didn't he take peanuts to lure Garcia in to an immediate rematch? Khan has millions he could have made that money back by now.

Fuck me even 'Dudey' looked only 1 big uppercut away from dropping Khan on his arse even if he was losing every round.

I'm sure Khan can be a nice guy but the fact he didn't go back in against Prescott and the fact he refers to himself as 'amir khan' and not 'i' like us mere mortals would tells me all I need to know.
    I can see the point you make and specifically in Khans case it may have helped him when he was against the wall in future fights but they decided not to and as it turns out Prescott has turned out to me essentially a one hit wonder anyway.

Benny Leonard was cold cocked in his first fight and his 12th and then once again in his 16th and 20th and he never rematched any of them except Flemming and he lost that fight also by decision.

Henry Armstrong was laid out in his first fight and lost 2 of his next three but he never bothered to hunt down Al Lovino.

Arguello was knocked out in his 5th fight and then lost to a guy he beat previously right after and he never did seek revenge over Amaya.

Its a good point that the Prescott loss could be haunting him still and that a revenge match may have changed things but those above persevered in spite of early blow outs and went on to become legends.
    I understand what you are saying and I'm not saying that i'm right or wrong, it's just my personal thoughts towards Khan.

I know Prescott has turned out to be nothing special, I never actually expected him to be after the Khan fight. He just happened to be the first person who could finish Khan off once he had hurt him, Khan had already been hurt on numerous occasions just no one had capitilised on it. Khan was an olympic silver medallist who was telling everyone he could rule the world. No one knew what Prescott would go on to do but that shouldn't matter. He could have been a 15-20-5 journeyman. Either way Prescott continually shouted for him to take the opportunity. (for the payday i'm sure )

Thanks for mentioning the other fighters who never went after their conquerers, it does in a way undermine my own views to some extent. The only difference being that these guys were fighting more often and against tough guys, and probably were not expected to achieve what they did. Khan rebuilds against guys much smaller, which long term can't help him out.

As I said i'm not saying i'm right in my beliefs but the way Khan goes about things is not what I admire. I may be a bit harsh saying that no matter what he achieves i'll never be a fan.
    True enough and another quality post.Losing a fight or 2 or 5 was not the end of a career. Perhaps whats lacking here is poverty. All 3 of the guys mentioned came out of squalor. Khan seems to come from a privileged back ground was put on a pedestal like Harrison and was probably and early millionaire. Celebrity trainers don't help either. Btw I'm no fan of Khan but if he could get his head on straight instead of surrounding himself with yes men and go back to the grind he could change things around. If I were him I'd go find me a trainer in East Philly or something who has trained for 50 years and nobody knows his name. I'd cancel his twitter and fb accounts and not allow the cameras into his camps. Complete and utter re-dedication to his craft.
    Many fighters could benefit from 'living tough', look at Katsidis. His training camps abroad sounded bruutal, he knew he had to do it in order not to lose his edge. He was considered limited by many but who knows, he may not have achieved half of what he did without the mental toughness and physical fitness he had.

Now this might sound gay but Rocky 3 was always my favourite. Apollo Creed took Rocky away from his luxuries and soft living to remind him what it took to be a hungry fighter. I agree with you 100% about cameras in camps, facebook etc but these guys need their egos feeding. It's normal for a lot of these guys to be surrounded by yes men and they probably wouldn't function properly without them.

A loss shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does. If guys were able to fight once a month it wouldn't matter so much as it could be erased from memory with a few quick wins. Khan was a millionaire quickly (either that or was rich very quick) There was a show on Sky sports abut him relatively early and he was driving around in flash cars wearing decent clothes before he had barely made a dent in the pros.

It must be hard when a guy is that young but fighters have to remember what they are and why they do what they do.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True enough and another quality post.Losing a fight or 2 or 5 was not the end of a career. Perhaps whats lacking here is poverty. All 3 of the guys mentioned came out of squalor. Khan seems to come from a privileged back ground was put on a pedestal like Harrison and was probably and early millionaire. Celebrity trainers don't help either. Btw I'm no fan of Khan but if he could get his head on straight instead of surrounding himself with yes men and go back to the grind he could change things around. If I were him I'd go find me a trainer in East Philly or something who has trained for 50 years and nobody knows his name. I'd cancel his twitter and fb accounts and not allow the cameras into his camps. Complete and utter re-dedication to his craft.
    How many times have we heard this? Just get a new trainer, box more and work on defense, find a new location, beat up some 'cans or get some better sparring partners to rebuild your confidence, et al.
    You can put lipstick on a pig and put a dress on it, and it's still a fucking pig. Khan is what he is, an over-hyped, solid boxer, who isn't good enough to take it to the elite level, his chin will always betray him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not question of tuffness, he is! Its not a doubtfull chin, he's ok! Its a question of following a game plan that suits his needs best! Its not even about his opponents its way more important to understand your plusses and minuses!! His chin isn't terrible, when you get clipped with a clean shot after you've thrown and are over extended your going to get wobbled or Ko'd! His mistakes are caused by his way of think and that causes him "to react" the wrong way at times. He isn't loosing to poor competition his opponents are good solid fighters!
    This young man must re-evaluate sp.) ha! himself and get his personal conceipts in line with what he wants to accomplish in boxing. He needs to combine speed with power but rely on his speed to set up power. He comes to heavy to soon and winds up premature. He has enough pop to get the job done but he needs to concentrate on winning rounds first then his opponent must come to him and that makes his power shots more meaningfull. His approach doesn't match his abilities he needs to think about 10 or 12 rounds and clearly being the dominat boxer that thought process could be the key to him becoming an elite top ten fighter capable of challenging for titles. Ray

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Let me ask the question: IF (and yes it's a big 'IF') Khan had an awesome chin, how good would he be?

I am not particularly a fan and certainly don't get caught up in the being British thing, but I think as a fighter he has crazy skills. Can't remember too many fighters I have ever seen with speed like that! Offensively I think he is fantastic! His defence and chin will always be his downfall though!
    Doesn't part of being a great 'boxer' also include having a good defense to go along with it? And isn't being a great 'boxer' about hitting but not being hit? That's why I say, Amir has some decent boxing skills, but he's not a great boxer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ray corso View Post
    Its not question of tuffness, he is! Its not a doubtfull chin, he's ok! Its a question of following a game plan that suits his needs best! Its not even about his opponents its way more important to understand your plusses and minuses!! His chin isn't terrible, when you get clipped with a clean shot after you've thrown and are over extended your going to get wobbled or Ko'd! His mistakes are caused by his way of think and that causes him "to react" the wrong way at times. He isn't loosing to poor competition his opponents are good solid fighters!
    This young man must re-evaluate sp.) ha! himself and get his personal conceipts in line with what he wants to accomplish in boxing. He needs to combine speed with power but rely on his speed to set up power. He comes to heavy to soon and winds up premature. He has enough pop to get the job done but he needs to concentrate on winning rounds first then his opponent must come to him and that makes his power shots more meaningfull. His approach doesn't match his abilities he needs to think about 10 or 12 rounds and clearly being the dominat boxer that thought process could be the key to him becoming an elite top ten fighter capable of challenging for titles. Ray

A fighter can follow a game plan for 11 and a half rounds then get caught and be in trouble and get stopped.

Khan has skills
    Khan has speed
    Khan has the willingness to step in with top guys
    Khan is wiling to have a tear up

But there is something missing definitely. Someone mentioned about somthing in his brain in an earlier post which i sort of understand but whether it's a psychological thing or a weak chin thing doesn't change the fact then when he is on the receiving end of a bomb things start to unravel.

Gameplan?....The best laid plans.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Alot of people say negative stuff about Khan but in regards to him as a fighter it alwas seems to come down to his chin or lack of. If he had a chin like The Pocket Rocket he would be a machine.

His speed is incredible I'll give him that. He could work on his combination punching though, h seems to rely a bit too much on his straight shots without not mixing it up. Not all the time but with a better variety of shots he wouldn't have struggled as he did against Maidana.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably said it 100 times, Khan has great skills and could beat anyone in or around his weight. That chin or whatever it is will always be a high risk to let him down.

He could move up and beat Ward, I still wouldn't be a fan. For not demanding a rematch with Prescott is unforgiveable in my eyes. Some fighters would have taken the fight for free if it meant getting the chance to put the record straight.

Entertaining when he fights? yes but there's definitely something missing. He went out of his way to get the Peterson result overturned, before any drugs issue was out, it was all about the man in the hat. Shady dealings it did look like but where was the burning desire to put the record straight with his fists?. Maidana was worthy of a rematch but no chance that was going to happen.

Why didn't he take peanuts to lure Garcia in to an immediate rematch? Khan has millions he could have made that money back by now.

Fuck me even 'Dudey' looked only 1 big uppercut away from dropping Khan on his arse even if he was losing every round.

I'm sure Khan can be a nice guy but the fact he didn't go back in against Prescott and the fact he refers to himself as 'amir khan' and not 'i' like us mere mortals would tells me all I need to know.
    I can see the point you make and specifically in Khans case it may have helped him when he was against the wall in future fights but they decided not to and as it turns out Prescott has turned out to me essentially a one hit wonder anyway.

Benny Leonard was cold cocked in his first fight and his 12th and then once again in his 16th and 20th and he never rematched any of them except Flemming and he lost that fight also by decision.

Henry Armstrong was laid out in his first fight and lost 2 of his next three but he never bothered to hunt down Al Lovino.

Arguello was knocked out in his 5th fight and then lost to a guy he beat previously right after and he never did seek revenge over Amaya.

Its a good point that the Prescott loss could be haunting him still and that a revenge match may have changed things but those above persevered in spite of early blow outs and went on to become legends.
    I understand what you are saying and I'm not saying that i'm right or wrong, it's just my personal thoughts towards Khan.

I know Prescott has turned out to be nothing special, I never actually expected him to be after the Khan fight. He just happened to be the first person who could finish Khan off once he had hurt him, Khan had already been hurt on numerous occasions just no one had capitilised on it. Khan was an olympic silver medallist who was telling everyone he could rule the world. No one knew what Prescott would go on to do but that shouldn't matter. He could have been a 15-20-5 journeyman. Either way Prescott continually shouted for him to take the opportunity. (for the payday i'm sure )

Thanks for mentioning the other fighters who never went after their conquerers, it does in a way undermine my own views to some extent. The only difference being that these guys were fighting more often and against tough guys, and probably were not expected to achieve what they did. Khan rebuilds against guys much smaller, which long term can't help him out.

As I said i'm not saying i'm right in my beliefs but the way Khan goes about things is not what I admire. I may be a bit harsh saying that no matter what he achieves i'll never be a fan.
    Many fighters could benefit from 'living tough', look at Katsidis. His training camps abroad sounded bruutal, he knew he had to do it in order not to lose his edge. He was considered limited by many but who knows, he may not have achieved half of what he did without the mental toughness and physical fitness he had.

Now this might sound gay but Rocky 3 was always my favourite. Apollo Creed took Rocky away from his luxuries and soft living to remind him what it took to be a hungry fighter. I agree with you 100% about cameras in camps, facebook etc but these guys need their egos feeding. It's normal for a lot of these guys to be surrounded by yes men and they probably wouldn't function properly without them.

A loss shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does. If guys were able to fight once a month it wouldn't matter so much as it could be erased from memory with a few quick wins. Khan was a millionaire quickly (either that or was rich very quick) There was a show on Sky sports abut him relatively early and he was driving around in flash cars wearing decent clothes before he had barely made a dent in the pros.

It must be hard when a guy is that young but fighters have to remember what they are and why they do what they do.
    But see that's a real fundamental difference. These guys are products of their surroundings and at times we as fans can have unreasonable expectations. Imo if a guy with Khans skills tuned out and got rid of the plastic around him for even a few years he might be a different fighter. Greb fought close to 50 times one year. Today we make a big deal about a guy who fights 5 times a year even if three of them were tomato cans.Then when a fighter has a setback we toss them. Modern day boxing at the high levels is probably the most unforgiving sport on earth. Moore took 800 bucks to Maxims 100,000 for his shot and routinely fought for 10 bucks a fight earlier in his career. To me that's the real difference.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

How many times have we heard this? Just get a new trainer, box more and work on defense, find a new location, beat up some 'cans or get some better sparring partners to rebuild your confidence, et al.
    You can put lipstick on a pig and put a dress on it, and it's still a fucking pig. Khan is what he is, an over-hyped, solid boxer, who isn't good enough to take it to the elite level, his chin will always betray him.
    I'm not talking about musical chairs with celebrity trainers whose student/teacher ratio is about as good as a university tutorial. I'm talking an environmental change which includes an Eddie Futch like trainer still working at some gym in some inner city eating pork and beans out of a can. A complete refit. I also know that such is not going to happen and he will most likely be an ink blot on a historical database listing title holders.

I'm not a fan of Khan but am fast becoming one just because of the way he is being crucified. Again go have a look at Benny Leonards first 25 fights. Talk about chinless. I actually think that the chin thing overall in boxing is extremely overplayed. I also think fighters today are to easily dismissed.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 04-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But see that's a real fundamental difference. These guys are products of their surroundings and at times we as fans can have unreasonable expectations. Imo if a guy with Khans skills tuned out and got rid of the plastic around him for even a few years he might be a different fighter. Greb fought close to 50 times one year. Today we make a big deal about a guy who fights 5 times a year even if three of them were tomato cans.Then when a fighter has a setback we toss them. Modern day boxing at the high levels is probably the most unforgiving sport on earth. Moore took 800 bucks to Maxims 100,000 for his shot and routinely fought for 10 bucks a fight earlier in his career. To me that's the real difference.
    I get that completely. Boxing wouldn't be able to exist nowadays with fighters in action so often, Big fights are such big events that they need building up, it wouldn't be possible to fight a lot more than they do. I wouldn't want to see fighters sacrifice their health for my entertainment. Only point I was making was that some fighters nowadays spend as long being celebs as they do fighters. I know fighters are products of their surroundings, back in the 'old' days fighters fought as often because they had to if they wanted to get anywhere and they wanted to make ends meet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    All that video showed was a fighter with amazing heart and bollocks. Listen to the comms. I'm more than happy to be in a "minority" with the late great Manny Steward that DID NOT consider Khan a chump. Thanks.
    Amazing heart and bollocks? Looked more like a drunken sailor who was petrified and trying desperately to avoid getting KTFO. As for Manny Steward, no disrespect, but due to dementia during the last 5 years of his life, his analysis and commentary had totally deteriorated along with his health.
    I hope this helps.
    He could've stayed down but showed great desire to continue ... it takes heart to do what he did. How was he petrified when he didn't even hold and continued to foolishly slug it out? You're just hating here

Steward was just as sharp as he was before ... you're accusing him of suffering from a medical illness for which you haven't brought forward any evidence for

He has a glass jaw, but he's still a very good boxer
    Just a personal observation, Manny sounded like a blithering idiot at times in his last few years on HBO. For example Steward might say Khan is a great fighter, with tons of heart, who just fought one of the best fights of his career. Huh? But Manny, he fought a dumb fight and just got his ass handed to him, WTF?

In addition to being, desperate and petrified, he's also wasn't too smart, no hate, just stating the facts as I see them. Khan was supposed to be one of the next big things in boxing, but he hasn't come close to succeeding at it.
    You're just a retard and a moron

I hate both Bitchko's but even I will give them credit where credit is due ... you're just a hater and Khan's religion seems to have a lot to do with it

Khan is good for the sport and is ambitious ... may be foolish and have a weak chin but at least he entertains and has good skill and the fastest hands currently in boxing

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get that completely. Boxing wouldn't be able to exist nowadays with fighters in action so often, Big fights are such big events that they need building up, it wouldn't be possible to fight a lot more than they do. I wouldn't want to see fighters sacrifice their health for my entertainment. Only point I was making was that some fighters nowadays spend as long being celebs as they do fighters. I know fighters are products of their surroundings, back in the 'old' days fighters fought as often because they had to if they wanted to get anywhere and they wanted to make ends meet.
    Yup.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're just a retard and a moron

I hate both Bitchko's but even I will give them credit where credit is due ... you're just a hater and Khan's religion seems to have a lot to do with it
    Well, i'm not the one using childish insults am I, but then how smart could you be, being a fan of a piece of shit like Tyson.
    Welcome to ignore.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 04-02-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Must be Hell trying to be a slugger with a chin made of day old soup crackers.

Lol

You know its not really his chin imo its his brain or approach once he starts to feel or experience adversity. He's got all the tools in spades along with natural athleticism but he tends to have brain farts during the fight and lose focus and with that his ability to adjust.
    Its just a natural tendency and instinct IMO

Its not that he doesn't think ... its that he thinks he is something that he is not ... he thinks he's a banger who can trade but his chin won't allow that

Yup that's part of it. He ends up in situations he has no need to be in. I've been saying for years that his problems are upstairs. Interesting that you called it instinctive because it almost seems like he's stuck in between the fight or flight response during the fight.
    Khan is not without some boxing know how. Solid hand speed and range but his chin and psychology go hand in hand as his achilles heel. Getting tagged and hurt are one thing but he fights with high anxiety, like hes trying to prove something to people or self post Prescott not to mention Garcia. He doesn't strike me as comfortable in his own skin much of the time...stuck between styles and literally does not have the room for error. Even in return with Molina he executed a gameplan but to me he looked over thinking and like a guy walking through a haunted house. Sometimes after getting smashed a guy needs to get out of the spotlight and reset. I don't know if it matters for him at this point because hes obviously not going to reinvent himself or take some off air bouts but a guy only gets so many chances.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not talking about musical chairs with celebrity trainers whose student/teacher ratio is about as good as a university tutorial. I'm talking an environmental change which includes an Eddie Futch like trainer still working at some gym in some inner city eating pork and beans out of a can. A complete refit. I also know that such is not going to happen and he will most likely be an ink blot on a historical database listing title holders.

I'm not a fan of Khan but am fast becoming one just because of the way he is being crucified. Again go have a look at Benny Leonards first 25 fights. Talk about chinless. I actually think that the chin thing overall in boxing is extremely overplayed. I also think fighters today are to easily dismissed.
    Bottom line is, Khan is never going to improve enough to hang with the top dogs, he's as good as he's ever going to get.
    As for Khan being crucified, I didn't start this thread to bash Khan, it was more about a dig at some of his fans who keep believing that this dude is a world beater.

BTW, In Khan's case the chin thing is not being overplayed, when he gets hit with a big shot, he short circuits. The cat's out of the bag, and anyone he faces now knows this.

P.S. Khan hit Danny Garcia with some big punches earlier in the fight, but Danny took them well. As soon as Khan got nailed with some good shots he got spaghetti legs, big difference.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 04-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Thread Information