Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anybody watch Tyrell Biggs vs Riddick Bowe?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody watch Tyrell Biggs vs Riddick Bowe?

I saw the fight twice the other night, its really an amazing fight. You have Biggs, who had just been KO'd by Tyson 2 years before, making a comeback (don't know how I hit "bold", sorry) at age 30, and a young Bowe at only 23. Bigss was really nailing Bowe at will most of the fight with some hard, sharp left jabs, snapping Bowe's head back constantly. The way Bowe's head was snapping back, reminded me of how his head snapped back against Golota 8 years later. The amazing thing is how Biggs hit him with I'd say 100 jabs with authority, really rocking him it seemed, and setting up some great double left hooks off of it, but that Bowe was able to just keep absorbing it, and started landing those wild overhand rights behind the ear, eventually KOing Biggs. This fight made me realize how discouraging it would be to hit your opponent at will and really drill him, yet all to no avail. You could see by the 6th round Biggs just emotionally was drained, after landing so many shots, and Bowe is still there lumbering after him. I felt bad for Biggs how gallantly he got up from 3 knockdowns, fought with a badly broken nose and didnt quit. This fight was really interesting and Biggs just has this aura of sadness about him. I never realized though how talented he was until I saw that fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody watch Tyrell Biggs vs Riddick Bowe?

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I saw the fight twice the other night, its really an amazing fight. You have Biggs, who had just been KO'd by Tyson 2 years before, making a comeback (don't know how I hit "bold", sorry) at age 30, and a young Bowe at only 23. Bigss was really nailing Bowe at will most of the fight with some hard, sharp left jabs, snapping Bowe's head back constantly. The way Bowe's head was snapping back, reminded me of how his head snapped back against Golota 8 years later. The amazing thing is how Biggs hit him with I'd say 100 jabs with authority, really rocking him it seemed, and setting up some great double left hooks off of it, but that Bowe was able to just keep absorbing it, and started landing those wild overhand rights behind the ear, eventually KOing Biggs. This fight made me realize how discouraging it would be to hit your opponent at will and really drill him, yet all to no avail. You could see by the 6th round Biggs just emotionally was drained, after landing so many shots, and Bowe is still there lumbering after him. I felt bad for Biggs how gallantly he got up from 3 knockdowns, fought with a badly broken nose and didnt quit. This fight was really interesting and Biggs just has this aura of sadness about him. I never realized though how talented he was until I saw that fight.
    I don't remember that fight specifically but Bowe had some Zab Judah in him didn't he? What I mean by that is he had these exceptional physical tools and yet he seemed to be missing a talent that more and more I think is necessary for greatness. A real love for boxing. Not just fighting, but enjoying the discipline, an ability to not get bored by the reptitive, an abilty to stay happy/focused while dealing with the ongoing pains boxers deal with. In other words he lacked the traits that make BHOP BHOP.

For those 2-3 fights where Bowe was at his very best? he would have been a handful for any heavy who ever lived.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

absolutely. the flashes of greatness from Bowe, when they came, would have been almost too much for anybody. I agree he seemed to be missing some key ingredient to attain greatness. Not sure what. Always looked so lethargic and maybe a bit lazy. Maybe.

ICB Guest

Riddick Bowe always struggled with outside fighters, he had even more trouble vs Tony Tubbs and was lucky to get the decision.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as much intensity as Bowe and Holyfield shared they could both be jabbed up a bit. Think Biggs was coming in with something to prove but always though his team had cashed him in and thrown him to wolves after Tyson loss.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe, IMO is one of the most overrated boxers ever...
    I've said it many times and will say it again when give the oppourtunity.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Riddick Bowe always struggled with outside fighters, he had even more trouble vs Tony Tubbs and was lucky to get the decision.
    Yet for some odd reason people think he'd easily handle Wladimir which I for one HIGHLY doubt for a number of reasons.

I do wonder how Bowe would have done if he ever really stepped his game up: Moorer, Briggs, Tyson, Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, McCall, etc. All would have had a shot vs Bowe on a given night and he blatantly ducked Lennox Lewis who would have whipped him badly too.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Yet for some odd reason people think he'd easily handle Wladimir which I for one HIGHLY doubt for a number of reasons.

I do wonder how Bowe would have done if he ever really stepped his game up: Moorer, Briggs, Tyson, Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, McCall, etc. All would have had a shot vs Bowe on a given night and he blatantly ducked Lennox Lewis who would have whipped him badly too.
    Bowe at his best and motivated could have whipped a Klit.

BUT how often was he at his best and motivated ? Almost never.

He was a lazy bastard and I think most of the guys you named with the exception of McCall and Moorer and maybe Briggs would have beaten Bowe.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

El Kabong Guest

The hardest puncher Bowe ever fought was Holyfield....just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

waaaaaaaaaaaaa, I'm a cracker with over 30,000 posts on a message board because I have no girlfriend and my whitetrash inbred parents are as retarded as sarah palin's retarded ass son, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by starchild View Post
    waaaaaaaaaaaaa, I'm a cracker with over 30,000 posts on a message board because I have no girlfriend and my whitetrash inbred parents are as retarded as sarah palin's retarded ass son, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Actually you only have 1 post. Pretty pathetic even for a guy with no girlfriend and inbred parents.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information