Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pro boxers 'could compete at 2016 Olympics in Rio'

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has declined to rule out the possibility of professional boxers competing at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) is introducing a pro tournament in 2013 and claims fighters who appear will be eligible for Rio.

And an IOC spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are currently discussing the project with them [AIBA].

"The IOC encourages the participation of the best athletes at the Olympics."

Last year, AIBA introduced its World Series of Boxing (WSB), a hybrid of the two boxing codes which allows salaried 'amateurs' to retain their Olympic eligibility, even though the tournament features no head guards or vests and professional-style scoring with three judges.

WSB was seen as a bridge between Olympic and full-blown professional boxing and AIBA president Wu Ching-Kuo regards AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) as the logical next step.

"I feel this move towards professionalism is very important for AIBA," said Wu last week.

"Boxers have always felt that they have instantly had to turn professional after competing at the Olympics. We want to change that culture, show there is another way and this is now [the] time for the sport to move forward.

"I hope we can attract the very best professionals out there. I don't know definitely if they will compete in AIBA Professional Boxing but I am hopeful they will because the Olympics is something very special and there is no greater prize in sport than the Olympic gold medal."

A spokesperson for the Amateur Boxing Association of England (ABAE) said: "The announcement by AIBA represents another step in attempting to provide a duty of care and support to boxers throughout the whole of their careers.

"The welfare of boxers is our number one priority and we would expect everyone connected with the sport to support this principle.

"Like all major changes it creates a number of significant challenges for us as an organisation and we are forming a commission to examine the proposals in more detail in our role as the governing body for amateur boxing in England. We will provide a further update after the commission has arrived at its initial conclusions."

However, another source within amateur boxing told BBC Sport the AIBA's plans have caused "shock and dismay" among the ranks.

"What does this [the possibility of professional boxers competing in the Olympics] mean for amateur boxing?" said the source.

"There are a whole series of knock-on issues. At the moment the rules of the amateur boxing associations of England, Scotland and Wales prohibit any professional linkages whatsoever, so even the articles of the associations will need to be examined for this to become possible in England.

"And if I was a professional governing body, I would be saying 'hang on a minute, what right do they have to do this?' Why is your [the APB's] professional standard different to ours?'"
    Didn't Alex Povetkin say, just recently actually, that he wanted to win another gold medal?

Not in favour of this at all.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pro boxers 'could compete at 2016 Olympics in Rio'

If this leads ultimately to the destruction of the current approach to amateur boxing and the scoring system etc? I love the idea.

If all it is going to do is make pro fighters fight according to current amateur rules? Heaven help us.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw this, part of me did think how great it would be to see all of the very best fighters in one place fighting for a gold.

Imagine if all politics and money aside, you actually could get all the top boxers entering it. It would be something really special.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Europe would have to concentrate on skiing.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    If this leads ultimately to the destruction of the current approach to amateur boxing and the scoring system etc? I love the idea.

If all it is going to do is make pro fighters fight according to current amateur rules? Heaven help us.
    Too much to hope for but amateur boxing is a mess. Score the rounds, count knockdowns, understand body punching is often far more effective than head hunting and that there is a whole heck of a difference between getting hit with a peppered jab and a left hook to the liver. What a mess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe we'd all be able to watch Floyd and Manny go at it then. And for us Filipino's more of our people representing us in the olympics!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is about the most stupid idea I've ever heard. In my mind it would kill the last little bit of credibility that boxing, as it exists today, has with me. Good God, 98.8% of today's pros fight like marginally advanced amateurs anyway, and this would just make it official: amateur boxing has become a joke and there is no difference between the that and "the pros."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Grey to be fair mate I am a huge boxing fun but amateur boxing is such a farce to me that I never watch it. Even the gold medal match of any class.
    Always seemed like it was scored by compubox and Kassim Ouma would have kicked ass there!

Probably talking out of my ass but that unless they would do something to dramatically change how it is conducted, it isn't much of a spectator sport....although it may be "pure."
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information