Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Matthysse v Peterson

Cant see any thrads on this. How does everyone see this going? Should be an entertaining fight but think Peterson is tailor made for Matthysse. I think Matthysse stops him

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matthysse v Peterson

Matthysse is deadly and one of my favorite fighters.

However, sometimes a good aggressive pressure fighter and smother a knockout artist like what Hatton did against Tzyu.

Then other times the aggressive pressure fighter gets knocked out like Barrios against Freitas.

I think Matthysse's power is absolutely overwhelming for other 140 lbers and he is a rarity for big punchers; he's a clever, patient boxer as well.

I'll pick Matthysse by late stoppage, but he's going to be in for a tough tough fight.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a terrific fight. @Hulk hit the nail on the head. Maybe Peterson's aggressiveness stifles Matthysse's power, or maybe Matthysse hurts Peterson and get hims out of there.

I hope this leads to Matthysse vs. Garcia. If Matthysse gets by Peterson, he deserves that fight.

Is it in D.C.?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going with matthysee late stoppage, with a knockdown or two earlier in the fight as well. Matthyse's punches just look fuckin painful on tv, if he had started quicker in the zab and devon fights it probably would have never made it to the cards, but seems like since that fight he comes gun blazin from the get go so probably learned his lesson. This should be fun while it lasts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    It's a terrific fight. @Hulk hit the nail on the head. Maybe Peterson's aggressiveness stifles Matthysse's power, or maybe Matthysse hurts Peterson and get hims out of there.

I hope this leads to Matthysse vs. Garcia. If Matthysse gets by Peterson, he deserves that fight.

Is it in D.C.?
    It better not be in dc on the chance that it goes to the cards lucas don't need to be gettin screwed over on the cards again.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really see this one as a pick em whatsoever Matthysse doesn't need to hurt Peterson with one shot or keep him worried about his power, he may well end up BEING the pressure fighter himself imo. If the fight goes 12 I still don't see how Peterson actually does the more effective work or holds out longer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great match-up!

Matthysse by KO
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im actually surprised so many people going with late stoppage. I think Matthysse will get him out of there in the 1st half of the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really like Matthysee. I'd actually picked him to be the future of the 140lbers but then he lost to Zab. Zab boxed the got in some rounds in. Peterson can box as well as bang. If Peterson can mix up boxing with banging and keep Matthysee unsettle, Peterson by decision.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mattyhesse in a big way. Peterson can think he'll box but once he gets hit and hurt, which he will, he'll go square and try to slug him off. Mattttysse is a better boxer then given credit for and a very good body puncher. You get hurt and dropped by Bradley and Khan and buzzed by a shop worn Holt you are staying hurt vs Matthysse. Peterson is capable fighter but he is pretty vanilla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lucas in the first half of the fight like was said above.
    Ortiz should have had Peterson out of there.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Matthysse stops him, probably later than earlier. This will be a great fight to watch though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    I really like Matthysee. I'd actually picked him to be the future of the 140lbers but then he lost to Zab. Zab boxed the got in some rounds in. Peterson can box as well as bang. If Peterson can mix up boxing with banging and keep Matthysee unsettle, Peterson by decision.
    Thing is I had him winning the Zab fight and winning the Alexander fight. In any event, it is at least an argument that he is undefeated right now. I'm not sure there is anyone at 140 I would favor over Matthysse, although I like the fight with Garcia. I think that is the best fight Golden Boy can make at 140. Rios-Matthysse would be a classic too, but will never happen.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matthysse should beat Peterson on points through effective aggression and the only reason Peterson seeing the fight go to the cards is because he has the experience to survive.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post

Thing is I had him winning the Zab fight and winning the Alexander fight. In any event, it is at least an argument that he is undefeated right now. I'm not sure there is anyone at 140 I would favor over Matthysse, although I like the fight with Garcia. I think that is the best fight Golden Boy can make at 140. Rios-Matthysse would be a classic too, but will never happen.
    I rewatched the Alexander fight today. Man that was a poor decision. I had it even after 5 going Matthysse scored a knock down. I then gave him 4 of the last 5. In any case, how on judge scored it 96-93 to Alexander was scandalous. I only watched the highlights of the Judah fight but it looked like Matthysse was in control.

I actually agree that Matthysse is beatable but not by fighters like Peterson and Judah who are at the top of this division who are too one dimensional. I think if Broner fights Matthysse in a year or 2 Broner will beat him

Thread Information