Thread: Joe Calzaghe gets alot of hate.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Calzaghe gets alot of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyweightcp View Post
    I live in The USA i love Joe calzaghe he was great fighter.

Alot of Americans hate him.

he went 46-0

i loved watching him fight.

two things i liked about joe high workrate and he was fast.

idk why people hate him with a passion.
    1. cause he was a cocky arrogant cunt
    2. he avoided real opponents until either A) he got them on his home turf or B) they were shot to shit

that pretty much sums it up
    No offense but that's a crock of shit and I'll direct that comment at the other two posters who attempted to sustain the above.

I would like to ask who he could have fought that he didn't and when it could have taken place? Who are these people that he ducked?

Him being an arrogant dick has little or nothing to do with him as a fighter anymore then Robinson's womanizing had to do with his. And so what if he stayed at home. So did Monzon and countless other greats.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

he went 46-0

1. cause he was a cocky arrogant cunt
    2. he avoided real opponents until either A) he got them on his home turf or B) they were shot to shit

that pretty much sums it up
    Bingo ! Great post right there.

Fuck Calzaghe and is slap happy style and overinflated ego.

Jones, Toney or B Hop in their primes woulda smoked him, Jones especially.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear:

At no point in Joe Calzaghes career could he have ever had the opportunity to fight James Toney, Roy Jones or Bhop at 168.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Just to be clear:

At no point in Joe Calzaghes career could he have ever had the opportunity to fight James Toney, Roy Jones or Bhop at 168.
    No theres an excuse for him not fighting every meaningful opponent if you are a big enough supporter of the man.

Just as there is plenty of reasons why he could have fought Roy Jones Jr. at light heavyweight well before Jones was a shell of his former self.

Its all perspective and who's corner you are in so theres no sense throwing a bunch of names out there of who he could have fought as they will all be shot down with excuses and various reasons as to why it wasn't Calzaghe's fault that he fought Mario Veit a half dozen times

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Joe Calzaghe gets alot of hate.

he went 46-0

I'm an American who used to hate on Calzaghe, to be honest I thought he was an overrated fraud, but I grew to like the guy, and respect his ability.
    Not many championship level pugs go undefeated, 46-0 is a damn fine career record, in any book. Fuck the haters.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just to be clear:

No theres an excuse for him not fighting every meaningful opponent if you are a big enough supporter of the man.

Just as there is plenty of reasons why he could have fought Roy Jones Jr. at light heavyweight well before Jones was a shell of his former self.

Its all perspective and who's corner you are in so theres no sense throwing a bunch of names out there of who he could have fought as they will all be shot down with excuses and various reasons as to why it wasn't Calzaghe's fault that he fought Mario Veit a half dozen times
    What opponents could he have fought and why does this urban legend continue to have shelf life? There is no one he could have fought that he didn't unless you include Stieglitz lol prior to Kessler.

Funny how Sir Slappy absolutely destroyed the next coming in Lacy, later dismissed as a bum of course and then gave the heir apparent in Kessler a boxing lesson.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't get this lack of middle ground with Calzaghe. What. You either have to worship the ground he walks on..... or you're a hater? It doesn't work that way. There's pluses and minuses, as far as I'm concerned.

Pluses

- He did finish 46-0. Not easy to do under any circumstances.
    - He did have two very good fights (Lacy, Kessler). Those shouldn't be held against him.
    - He was busy (workrate). Quality of punches wasn't the best.... but I'll mention that later (see minuses).

Minuses

- He fought exclusively in the UK. Only for his last two fights did he venture to the U.S. In the global world of boxing, sorry..... that's a minus.

- He followed up Lacy with Peter ("Are you kidding me??") Manfredo two fights later. What the hell was all THAT about? He beats a Jeff Lacy, only to retreat to a Peter Manfredo?

- His win over B-Hop was highly disputed. Hardly a career-defining fight. He then ended up by getting a decision over an over-the-hill RJJ, and called it a career.

- What Calzaghe fans "love" to hear: His pitty-patter punches, delivered in slapping fashion... particularly in his flurries. He did it against Manfredo... he did it against B-Hop... he did it all the time. When shown in slo-mo.... the slap-fests were almost comical. He hurt his hands? Fine. But his fights were definitely not fan-friendly for me.

(Cue to Fuckster. Come running in here and express your outrage.)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just to be clear:

What opponents could he have fought and why does this urban legend continue to have shelf life? There is no one he could have fought that he didn't unless you include Stieglitz lol prior to Kessler.

Funny how Sir Slappy absolutely destroyed the next coming in Lacy, later dismissed as a bum of course and then gave the heir apparent in Kessler a boxing lesson.
    Dariusz Michelsweski, Sven Ottke, Antwun Echols, Marcus Beyer, Danny Green, Anthony Mundine. There's six missing from his resume that were reasonable options at one time.

Calzaghe would have been the favorite to beat nearly all of them and blame can be put on Ottke in particular for not fighting outside his home, but the fact remains that all six are missing from his record.

Theres always guys a great fighter could have fought and Calzaghe is no different.

And I never thought Lacy was a bum, I always liked him even after he was revealed as a one dimensional fighter.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't like the way Calzaghe fought, but how can you deny the guy the respect he deserves? 46 wins and no losses, and he was smart enough to get out and stay out.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angry Re: Joe Calzaghe gets alot of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't get this lack of middle ground with Calzaghe. What. You either have to worship the ground he walks on..... or you're a hater? It doesn't work that way. There's pluses and minuses, as far as I'm concerned.

Pluses

- He did have two very good fights (Lacy, Kessler). Those shouldn't be held against him.
    - He was busy (workrate). Quality of punches wasn't the best.... but I'll mention that later (see minuses).

Minuses

- He fought exclusively in the UK. Only for his last two fights did he venture to the U.S. In the global world of boxing, sorry..... that's a minus.

- He followed up Lacy with Peter ("Are you kidding me??") Manfredo two fights later. What the hell was all THAT about? He beats a Jeff Lacy, only to retreat to a Peter Manfredo?

- His win over B-Hop was highly disputed. Hardly a career-defining fight. He then ended up by getting a decision over an over-the-hill RJJ, and called it a career.

- What Calzaghe fans "love" to hear: His pitty-patter punches, delivered in slapping fashion... particularly in his flurries. He did it against Manfredo... he did it against B-Hop... he did it all the time. When shown in slo-mo.... the slap-fests were almost comical. He hurt his hands? Fine. But his fights were definitely not fan-friendly for me.

Tito for a start , a lot of fighter's don't leave the USA to fight some do I no, you may not like his style of fighting fine.Calzaghe would have been a great 15 round fighter as well, his fitness and work rate
    second to none.We can look back at most fighter's careers, and pick hole's in them my point is when
    fighter's finish in this game. Sometime's you don't appreciate what you had till it's GONE.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pluses

Minuses

Two fights that you will give him credit for. That is not quite taking the middle ground. Then you again show your double standards by trying to bait anybody who dare be reasonable and can be rational about Calzaghe's career. While we are on the subject of twos try, troll and hater.;-)
    Last edited by Beanz; 07-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Outrage? Fuckster is the calmest man in town and has never took umbrage with someones opinion. He just exposes factual errors and glaring weakness in certain arguments. Nothing more, nothing less.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RAY LEONARD ON JC:

“When Joe Calzaghe beat Jeff Lacy he pretty much shocked the boxing establishment, even yours truly. I didn’t think Joe could beat him.”

"Joe has got great punching power and has all the attributes you need," said Leonard.

"He would have held his own against all the greats I fought, like Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns. And he would hold his own with the others like Bernard Hopkins.

"He has the talent and heart and will be the undisputed champion."

MANNY STEWARD ON JC:

"calzaghe may have to be considered as one of the greats"

NAZ RICHARDSON ON JC:

“It’s hard for us over here to respect Calzaghe’s style because it’s so far different from what we allow our athletes to do here. We won’t allow our athletes to slap with punches. I tell people a lot of times, I applaud Calzaghe’s father because had you brought Joe Calzaghe over here to some of the greatest trainers that live over here, they probably wouldn’t have found the same success with him. I’m talking about some of the all time great trainers. Some of our guys like even the current guys that are out there now, like John David Jackson, Freddie Roach, and people of that nature, Emanuel Steward—they won’t let their guys out of the gym without turning those punches over. So we just wouldn’t accept that style here so it would never have been able to grow and flourish into what he became. We would have probably snuffed that fighter out a long time ago, but his dad being new to boxing he let it slide and it turned out to work. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.”

JONES JR ON JC:

"Calzaghe's one of the best fighters ever, one of the greatest of all time,"
    "He has a 100% record of 46-0, Marciano was 49-0. He's a true athlete I respect - we've nothing bad to say to each other, we'll give it all in the ring."

FRANK WARREN ON JC:

“Joe Calzaghe at his prime and all of those guys at their prime – including Steve Collins and Roy Jones – he would have beaten them.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SAKIO BIKA

When asked who the best fighter he fought is:

"calzaghe"

LENNOX ON JC:

"Joe has beaten everyone there is to beat and has nothing else to prove so I think he should retire."

DAVID HAYE ON JC:

"Very rarely do you get a guy with his kind of record retire on top form. Lennox Lewis showed you can walk away from the game and stay away from it. Roy Jones should have retired after he beat John Ruiz but he tainted his legacy by carrying on"

NIGEL BENN ON JC:

Asked whether Joe Calzaghe would have beaten Benn, Eubank, Collins and other greats from the era, Nigel Benn said:

“He might have beaten us all, who knows, we’ll never know.”

MARVIN HAGLER ON JC:

"I knew the first time I saw Calzaghe that he really had something, he went in there completely unfazed against (Chris) Eubank which nobody else had done. Eubank was the guy who usually seemed to have control of everything around him but the way Calzaghe went in there and manhandled him like that...

"I was watching it in Italy, it was the same night England beat Italy to qualify for the soccer World Cup.

"Calzaghe showed and proved power, speed, strength, workrate, stamina, chin, heart and every tangible and intangible that night and that's why I'm not suprised that he's not lost since.

"Sometimes it's like watching a welterweight or junior-middleweight in a super-middleweight's body because he's so nimble and sharp handed. I would never bet against him."

EUBANK ON JC:

"One of the greatest world champions in history and never had a hard fight. He got out with his face intact and plenty of money, one in a million."
    Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 07-09-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thread Information