Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1109
    Cool Clicks

    Default Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Mares and Ponce De Leon put on a great fight. Mares came out really strong and was consistently first with the punches and showed he could carry his power up with the knockdowns. I did think the stoppage was slightly premature though, Mares seemed to be getting tired and Ponce De Leon was coming on strong but Ponce was taking some hellacious shots so its not the worst stoppage by a ref ever.

    In an ideal world I would still like to see Donaire VS Mares, I think the Donaire that would show up to that fight would be alot better prepared that the one that fought Rigondeux but I think Mares wins that fight. Mares is more versatile, he adjusts to styles alot better and can be disciplined through an entire fight sticking to a game plan.

    A fight between Mares and Rigo I think would be another boxing enthusiast super fight, Rigo's speed might give him the edge in that one but I do think Mares would be there all night and at some point would touch Rigo's chin to again test it.

    Do you think he should move up on weight? What other fighters at this weight would be good to see him in with?
    The key is Self-discipline.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1062
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    If there ever was a situation where Top Rank should have guy go fight on Golden Boy's card it is now with Rigo and Mares. Rigo is never going to be a big money-making fighter. He's Cuban and fights in what some people view as a style that isn't fun to watch. They should permit him to fight Mares because I would argue that is where Mares should go from his win over Ponce.

    Mares brought up Russell Jr. That's a big fight too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    461
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    I keep losing money betting against Mares, but i keep winning when i bet on Rigo, oh boy a wormhole will open if the two ever fought.

    Though I do think Rigo might be a tad too small for Mares.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1109
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    If there ever was a situation where Top Rank should have guy go fight on Golden Boy's card it is now with Rigo and Mares. Rigo is never going to be a big money-making fighter. He's Cuban and fights in what some people view as a style that isn't fun to watch. They should permit him to fight Mares because I would argue that is where Mares should go from his win over Ponce.

    Mares brought up Russell Jr. That's a big fight too.

    Very good point about Rigo. The promotion could play off the Cuba VS Mexico rivalry (Mexico VS any other latin country is always a rivalry in boxing) and that would be Rigo's best bet to gain a following.

    I totally forgot about Gary Russell Jr. Mares VS Russell Jr. would be a great fight. Hard to pick in that fight as I really havent seen anyone test Russell Jr, but he never been in the ring with anyone on Mares' level or near it. I'd like to see Russeell Jr. in with some higher calibue fighters perhaps agaisnt Ponce De Leon.

    In the future I think we will see Mikey Garcia VS Abner Mares, which will be a great fight as well. My hope is that they dont rush in and put in Santa Cruz VS Mares, I'd like to see Santa Cruz get a little older and fill out more in weight with muscle and not just water or fat as he goes up the weight classes.
    The key is Self-discipline.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1062
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    If there ever was a situation where Top Rank should have guy go fight on Golden Boy's card it is now with Rigo and Mares. Rigo is never going to be a big money-making fighter. He's Cuban and fights in what some people view as a style that isn't fun to watch. They should permit him to fight Mares because I would argue that is where Mares should go from his win over Ponce.

    Mares brought up Russell Jr. That's a big fight too.

    Very good point about Rigo. The promotion could play off the Cuba VS Mexico rivalry (Mexico VS any other latin country is always a rivalry in boxing) and that would be Rigo's best bet to gain a following.

    I totally forgot about Gary Russell Jr. Mares VS Russell Jr. would be a great fight. Hard to pick in that fight as I really havent seen anyone test Russell Jr, but he never been in the ring with anyone on Mares' level or near it. I'd like to see Russeell Jr. in with some higher calibue fighters perhaps agaisnt Ponce De Leon.

    In the future I think we will see Mikey Garcia VS Abner Mares, which will be a great fight as well. My hope is that they dont rush in and put in Santa Cruz VS Mares, I'd like to see Santa Cruz get a little older and fill out more in weight with muscle and not just water or fat as he goes up the weight classes.
    Agreed. Santa Cruz is another opponent down the road.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Scandalous, CA
    Posts
    30,797
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4770
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Abner should go over to Thailand and beat the shit out of John once and for all...
    I would like to see Mares vs. Gradovich.
    @DavilaJones I've made 150 bucks betting on Mares. Last night I made $50.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1134
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    I thought the fight on Saturday would be a formality for Mares but afew people thought Ponce stood a decent chance which surprised me. De Leon is good to watch but isn't too dissimilar to Mayorga, wild/ uncoordinated and loses to every top fighter he faces. Mares wasnt going to get caught by one f those crude shots which is why he boxed abit more than he usually does.

    Some good fights for Mares at 126. Hes announced himself in the division now but before the superfights begin Id like to see him go over to Indonesia, show Marquez how its done and stop Chris John

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    461
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Abner should go over to Thailand and beat the shit out of John once and for all...
    I would like to see Mares vs. Gradovich.
    @DavilaJones I've made 150 bucks betting on Mares. Last night I made $50.
    He was a two to one favourite correct?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    389
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    He goes on the top 10 p4p list IMO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1109
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor John View Post
    He goes on the top 10 p4p list IMO.

    He should have been on a few pound for pound list already, hes been shunned for a while. But hopefully he cracks the top 10 after this fight.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Abner Mares
    By Maravilla2012 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
  2. Abner Mares
    By THE THIRD MAN in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM
  3. Abner Mares
    By ICB in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 09:46 PM
  4. Abner Mares
    By :::PSL::: in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 01:05 AM
  5. Abner Mares
    By Chino in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing