Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: To the Canadian Saddoites

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1061
    Cool Clicks

    Default To the Canadian Saddoites

    Who is the most popular boxer in Canada right now? If you had to make a list of the biggest draws in boxing in order, what would it look like?

    I imagine the list would include: Bute, Pascal, Lemiuex, Stevenson, Decarie, Beterbiev and Stiverne. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    745
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    By Canada you mean Quebec

    Lemiuex

    Stevenson whom I at times spell Stephenson
    Pascal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,725
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1083
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Boxing is truly nothing here man, the only place with any kind of a scene is Montreal. As far as drawing power I honestly doubt you've forgotten anyone, that's about it and especially the first 4. I don't even know who Decarie is! As far as the most popular boxers from anywhere, it would be Floyd or Pacquiao by a landslide just because enough people have heard of them or maybe seen a fight or two.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,397
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    554
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Boxing has a low profile in English Canada - the media largely IGNORES it.

    I'd say Manny Pacquiao has been the most popular here over the past ten years. Mayweather is known but isn't liked because of his negative style and his beating up women, everyone I know wanted Pacquiao to win that fight. Some people now know who Golovkin is and they love him. Wladimir Klitschko is highly-regarded as a long-time heavyweight champion.

    Sadly, most people in Canada outside Quebec have never heard of Lemieux, Pascal, Bute and Stevenson.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1107
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Yeah like mentioned above I have no idea. Outside of Quebec, I don't think Canada has much of a boxing following.

    David Lemieux, Lucian Bute, Adonis Stevenson... most people would not have heard of these guys in my province.

    But if I say Georges St. Pierre or Rory MacDonald... these are names everyone knows.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1061
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    I guess my question is more about who is the biggest Canadian boxing star? Does Lemiuex have a chance at being a star? In his prime, Bute packed stadiums full of Quebecois.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,725
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1083
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Yea Bute was popular for sure. I remember being in Montreal before and when he fought Jesse Brinkley of all people, and there were big posters up all over, a buzz in the city the day of the fight, was the kind of thing you'd only may have seen before May-Pac in any other City/Province. Lemiuex has the best chance of being a star for sure, depending on how you rate his chances of actually becoming a great fighter of course. Given that he is actually a native Quebecer and very exciting to watch, it's probably not even close as far as the potential to sell tickets.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1107
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    When Lemieux knocks out GGG, he'll be a certified super star.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    785
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    I am from Nova Scotia. I can honestly say I do not know of 3 friends who can name more than 3 active fighters. And if they can they couldn't name who they fought last. Just names they heard while watching sports highlights while waiting for hockey stats.
    Our province has a strong boxing history and it is a shame no one here has ever heard of a Sam Langford, let alone a George Dixon. But can tell you who played what position with what jersey number of almost any team in the NHL.
    I feel so alone I am going to open a beer, eat some back bacon with maple syrup while wearing my toque. Have a good one, eh.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1107
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    I am from Nova Scotia. I can honestly say I do not know of 3 friends who can name more than 3 active fighters. And if they can they couldn't name who they fought last. Just names they heard while watching sports highlights while waiting for hockey stats.
    Our province has a strong boxing history and it is a shame no one here has ever heard of a Sam Langford, let alone a George Dixon. But can tell you who played what position with what jersey number of almost any team in the NHL.
    I feel so alone I am going to open a beer, eat some back bacon with maple syrup while wearing my toque. Have a good one, eh.
    Same over here in Newfoundland.

    A lot of UFC fans, very few boxing fans.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    745
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    I am from Nova Scotia. I can honestly say I do not know of 3 friends who can name more than 3 active fighters. And if they can they couldn't name who they fought last. Just names they heard while watching sports highlights while waiting for hockey stats.
    Our province has a strong boxing history and it is a shame no one here has ever heard of a Sam Langford, let alone a George Dixon. But can tell you who played what position with what jersey number of almost any team in the NHL.
    I feel so alone I am going to open a beer, eat some back bacon with maple syrup while wearing my toque. Have a good one, eh.
    Same over here in Newfoundland.

    A lot of UFC fans, very few boxing fans.

    Yet so many Irish. Neutering program?

    And poor @frasd. WTF happened there? One of the last places on earth to teach Gaelic. Shit half of Ireland has probably learned their Gaelic from that province Kirk Johnson was a bit of a sad note to go out on.

    At least in Yukon I knew what I was heading for. A barren fucking wasteland. The only thing historic boxing wise from here is the fact that when Vic Foley retired he moved to Dawson city and was the bartender at the Midnight Sun knocking out half wits well into his late 60's.

    Which puts Yukon, population 35, 000 ahead of my home province of Alberta and birth province of Saskatchewan in their combined boxing history

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ex'way to your Skull
    Posts
    25,024
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    George Chuvalo is still active

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    785
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    I am from Nova Scotia. I can honestly say I do not know of 3 friends who can name more than 3 active fighters. And if they can they couldn't name who they fought last. Just names they heard while watching sports highlights while waiting for hockey stats.
    Our province has a strong boxing history and it is a shame no one here has ever heard of a Sam Langford, let alone a George Dixon. But can tell you who played what position with what jersey number of almost any team in the NHL.
    I feel so alone I am going to open a beer, eat some back bacon with maple syrup while wearing my toque. Have a good one, eh.
    Same over here in Newfoundland.

    A lot of UFC fans, very few boxing fans.

    Yet so many Irish. Neutering program?

    And poor @frasd. WTF happened there? One of the last places on earth to teach Gaelic. Shit half of Ireland has probably learned their Gaelic from that province Kirk Johnson was a bit of a sad note to go out on.

    At least in Yukon I knew what I was heading for. A barren fucking wasteland. The only thing historic boxing wise from here is the fact that when Vic Foley retired he moved to Dawson city and was the bartender at the Midnight Sun knocking out half wits well into his late 60's.

    Which puts Yukon, population 35, 000 ahead of my home province of Alberta and birth province of Saskatchewan in their combined boxing history
    Translated Nova Scotia actually means New Scotland and our Gaelic is more true to the original only because the rest of the world moved on and we didn't. I actually have met Kirk at the gym and he isn't the asshole he has presented himself as being. That being said, I am not his friend and maybe I am wrong.

    But he shouldn't be in the same sentence as any of the other greats from this location although I did have hopes for him before the Ruiz fight.

    And for the Newfie, I lost my first amateur fight in NFLD. I blamed it on being 15 and scamming free drinks on the ferry ride over the night before. That is true but so is the fact that you guys are as hard as you are sociable. Having the most bars on one street in all of North America is a record you should be proud of. I once passed a guy holding out jumper cables and his hood up. I stopped and helped him out. He asked if I was from Cape Breton or Newfoundland thinking he was referring to my accent. He said that his car was a piece of shit but the only people that would ever stop were one of the two.

    Good to talk to fellow Canucks but I will settle for anyone who is boxing informed at this point. I know amateur boxers that don't even know the difference between Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    40,106
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4785
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Whatever happened to Steve Molitor?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    785
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: To the Canadian Saddoites

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Whatever happened to Steve Molitor?
    Don't know if he fought since Carl Frampton beat him.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian PSA's
    By El Kabong in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
  2. 10 comedians you may not know are Canadian
    By Master in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
  3. We're Canadian, be polite...please.
    By Youngblood in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
  4. Canadian Politics
    By CGM in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
  5. anyone want to wire me $50 canadian
    By TheChosenOne in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing