Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default One thing I've noticed about SHane Mosley

I've noticed in his Forrest fights, and against Winky Wright that Shane Mosley has average timing at best... which is surprising to me because of his speed and reflexes... THis is why I think these two guys with superb timing(especially WInky who has the best timing I've ever seen) gave Mosley such trouble, and why Mayweather or WHitaker would have beaten him at lightweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: One thing I've noticed about SHane Mosley

Not sure what you mean by timing . Are you saying he is bad at timing guys' shots in general or counter punch timing ? What ?

I think Mosley's lack of head movement and his dependence on fast feet were his downfall against Wright and Forrest . Mosely's always been an upright fighter and now that leaves him vulnerable .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley was talent incarnated but his trainer never worked on anything beyond it. You got skills to burn but there comes a time you need more then skills. Mosley had no plan B when his skills didn't work. He had a plan B against Vargas because he had a different trainer. But the guy he;s got now(Jack Mosley) is a plan A only trainer. Shane's gonna lose this one.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Mosley was talent incarnated but his trainer never worked on anything beyond it. You got skills to burn but there comes a time you need more then skills. Mosley had no plan B when his skills didn't work. He had a plan B against Vargas because he had a different trainer. But the guy he;s got now(Jack Mosley) is a plan A only trainer. Shane's gonna lose this one.
    An interesting take . I agree with a lot fo what you said . Shane was a very good boxer but there were clear holes in his game . HE was so fast though , you never saw them until he slowed a bit . Terrible decision to move up to welter so fast . They went for Oscar too soon IMO .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By timing I mean a few things. One is the ability to switch from offense to defense seamlessly. Two knowing when to come in. Being able to time what you do with your opponent too many times he was hit inbetween comming in and just standing there by the jab which he had the ability to dodge. Four I thought Mosley was as a effective of a counter puncher as other people with similar speed and reflexes (Mayweather, Jones, Ali) he seemed more like Leonard in that he could counter punch punchers but not true boxers which Mayweather and Jones have been able to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Point blank he was never the same after recieving the headbutt from Vernon Forrest, that first round he buckled Forrest twice with right hooks and had blazing handspeed, I thought the fight would be over in three rounds. Then came the second round when they collided heads and Shane suffered a concussion, then came a beating as Vernon took over the fight, Shane was then never the same after that, I am 100% sure that at that moment it took us from invincible to over average, he had showed signs of slowing down before he fought Winky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no way a concussion would slow you down physically in later fights... It doesn't damage that part of the brain 99.9...% of the time. I think that Winky had his number and so did Forrest... He much slower than when he fought Oscar the first time, and he had a plenty of trouble against Oscar's jab let alone WInky's. Some people say its the added weight I say he is just overrated... he had physical talent but he wasn't trained properly growing up and that ended up being his undoing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    There is no way a concussion would slow you down physically in later fights... It doesn't damage that part of the brain 99.9...% of the time. I think that Winky had his number and so did Forrest... He much slower than when he fought Oscar the first time, and he had a plenty of trouble against Oscar's jab let alone WInky's. Some people say its the added weight I say he is just overrated... he had physical talent but he wasn't trained properly growing up and that ended up being his undoing.

It does not matter if it was the beating that he absorbed after the headbutt or if it was the headbutt itself, look at all his fights that he has fought after that moment, and then give me one performance he has given that is similiar to the performances he gave before that moment, and as far as your comment about it not bothering you in future fights that's crazy, this is not basketball, or baseball, or soccer. This is boxing, a very violent sport to where you recieve alot of punishment in the brain and body, a concussion mixed with a brutal beating equal a fighter who would never be the same. Watch the fight, the proof is there. As for the first Oscar fight Shane won that 8 rounds to 4 so I don't know about this trouble you are talking about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon
    Point blank he was never the same after recieving the headbutt from Vernon Forrest, that first round he buckled Forrest twice with right hooks and had blazing handspeed, I thought the fight would be over in three rounds. Then came the second round when they collided heads and Shane suffered a concussion, then came a beating as Vernon took over the fight, Shane was then never the same after that, I am 100% sure that at that moment it took us from invincible to over average, he had showed signs of slowing down before he fought Winky.
      It appears to me that Shane Mosley has something wrong with his central nervous system.  I do not hold any medical degrees but he doesn't look like Shane Mosley anymore.  Mosley has that same look that Holyfield had when the world knew he was washed up.  Shane's punches are still pretty fast, but he seems to overreact to incoming punches.  He flinches and has jerky movement just like Holyfield.  I think there is definitley something strange going on with Shane Mosley.

El Kabong Guest

What surprises me about those fights is that his body language changes so much, he looks like he's destined to lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still disagree he never had great body posture for boxing he always stood straight up like a guy said before on here, and never really took advantage of his gifts... I don't think he changed as much as people figured out how to beat him.

El Kabong Guest

Shane was well skilled he just had a style where if you knew how to fight against it it frustrated him to no end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane had very good head movement and timing just look at this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHY1A...shane%20mosley

Shane problem is he got domesticated and he jumped weight to fast I believe he jumped from 135 to 147.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vessel
    Shane had very good head movement and timing just look at this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHY1A...shane%20mosley

Shane problem is he got domesticated and he jumped weight to fast I believe he jumped from 135 to 147.

He did jump weight fast, but he was successful, he even beat one of the greatest fighters from this generation, I thought he would rule boxing for years just like RJJ, I was wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon

I don't think that.

Mosley did good against Forrest the second time if Forrest hadn't held him so much, remember the first roud nwhen Mosley landed a left hook that nearly knocked Forrests head off? Then the holding. I scored that fight 115-113 for Shane, but the holding just ruined it for me. And he did good in 154. In my opinion, getting a draw on a card against Winky Wright after he beat you easily the first time is saying a lot about you. I don't think Shane has looked explosive anymore because, one, age, and two, he's become a smarter fighter. But going back to his father was a bad idea. Jack just trains someone on their talent, and he has no plan B. Shane is going to lose this Vargas fight and I'd hate to see it. But I think that will happen, I want Shane to win badly, but I just don't think he can with Jack in his corner.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information