Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing a fighting mentality...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Developing a fighting mentality...

I am looking for any articles or coaching techniques on developing the fighters mentality... without doubt... a fighters mentality before a fight plays a huge aspect upon the outcome of the fight...

I am looking on techniques and ways to improve the mental edge so that when I step in the ring I feel confident, self-assured, and most importantly... ready to turn someone's face into hamburger...

I brought this up in another post... I was raised to be very polite to people... as a child was taught it was never right to hit or hurt someone... this upbringing is seriously hurting me in the ring... I need to at least be able to seperate in the ring from real world. When I am in the ring I still see another human being standing across from me... I think I am becoming much more aggresive in the last several months... but I still do not have that spark inside of me that makes me a true warrior...

My body is banging, my skilz have improved many times over... now I need to develope the mind... I do not believe for an instance that you either have it or you don't... I believe that it can be learned and developed...

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Developing a fighting mentality...

I don't think of fighting as being a personal attack on someone else because we're both in there to be pushed and challenged. So I don't have to feel like I hate my opponent or feel aggressive - just eager to push myself all the way. I think I have to give them everything to take them seriously and give them what they wanted out of it.

For me competing is about keeping the nerves under control, trying not to freeze up or freak out and being aggressive with energy rather than any personal anger sort of.

I know other people have different perspectives on this. Maybe ultimately it's an individual thing. I can't and don't feel like I need to turn on any hate - just competitive aggression. I don't feel I'm doing the wrong thing by trying to take their head off. I hype up in the warm up but try to think confident thoughts and forget performance pressures - just like a really hard spar.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you read some of Andre posts on the subject you wont go far wrong
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try rossboxing.com aswell hes a knowlegable fella and has written a few good arctibles on the subject

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the directions... I will try to find Andre's articles that you talked about...and will also head over to Ross boxing.

Sharla... I am not really talking about being mad or hating... but there is a different mentality that must be taken when entering the ring... one where you refuse to be backed up, pushed around, beaten down... and willing to inflict pain on another individual and not think about how you are hurting them...

I do not want to be angry or hate... I do think that is wasted energy... I think we are talking about the same thing... I'm just looking for ways to develope this mindset...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    If you read some of Andre posts on the subject you wont go far wrong
    enjoying his reads a great deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive recently changed some of my training techniques,especially when dealing with female fighters,incorporating some outside training techniques
    To explain
    Years ago,I attended an early morning seminar on female fighters,at the time I thought alot of it was just bosch,but Im seeing the truth of it.
    Little girls are taught their entire life,be pretty,demure,and dont hit,so while you can get them to throw a punch,and throw a pretty good one,theyve had the natural instinct thats encouraged in men,to throw with truly mean intent,trained right out of them.
    Enter what I call rage training
    We have a railroad tye tuck in the back yard,every day Feur,is handed a stave of rattan,and told to hit it,but not just hit it,REALLY hit it.Slowly teaching her how to,well,get really pi$$ed off at something.
    Now the reverse
    Pain
    Little girls are also not supposed to get hit,let alone take a punch.
    For this,I had to bring in some of my martial arts training
    This is going to sound mystic,but its not really,its about finding a true center
    Meditation,exhale weakness,inhale strength,at least thats how its allways worked for me,but eventually you find your center.
    Its convincing your body that what should have hurt,didnt,Im just going to say its a way to convince your head to pre-release endorphins.
    And it does work
    Last night I hit Feur with a two knuckle,bare handed strike to the gut after she'd meditated,that was hard enough to send her back two steps even though she was in stance.
    She blinked,maybe twice,and that was all.
    I realise these are seriously alternative training techniques,and ones I was reluctant to bring in to the gym,but they are effective,especially when dealing with a female fighter,who is starting with the obvious handicap of upbringing,and societal expectations.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am very polite, was much more so as a child. I don't think that that is important in being a fighter. As Jim Corbett said a fighter should always find time to be a gentleman.
    In the ring, it is competition and a job. You do your best because you owe it to the spectators, yourself, your trainer. I'm not a big believer in "killer instinct." The whole idea has become perverted over the years. Look at Louis, Dempsey, Chavez...any great finishers They didn't act 'animal.' Their approach was very methodical.
    I think today that there is too much emphasis on "attitude" and acting the part. Just get in and do your job. The old-time guys were so humble and unassuming yet far tougher, much more "fighter" than the buffed-out posturing clowns of today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    I am very polite, was much more so as a child. I don't think that that is important in being a fighter. As Jim Corbett said a fighter should always find time to be a gentleman.
    In the ring, it is competition and a job. You do your best because you owe it to the spectators, yourself, your trainer. I'm not a big believer in "killer instinct." The whole idea has become perverted over the years. Look at Louis, Dempsey, Chavez...any great finishers They didn't act 'animal.' Their approach was very methodical.
    I think today that there is too much emphasis on "attitude" and acting the part. Just get in and do your job. The old-time guys were so humble and unassuming yet far tougher, much more "fighter" than the buffed-out posturing clowns of today.
    Ah but the instinct to put a man down,and keep a man down,thats animal insticnt,its a natural instinct we have trained out of us,so we can function in society together.Ask any mobster,they can describe how you can methodically and clinically beat a man to death
    Its not being a buffoon before hand,or after,its knowing when to let the beast of the leash,and when and how to put him back on.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I'm trying to get at is harnessing that beast to the professionalism of the job. Is it more effective to be an "animal" and throw punches or to maintain pressure and pick your punches, like Louis or Chavez, for example?
    By the way, long time no talk to. How are you my friend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice post ! I always say its the quite fellow in the corner that has my full attention... , big mouths just give me a hard on, you got no worries from that lot. its a con job in an attempt to get themselves and you into believing they can win.. a sign of weakness and self doubt most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I'm trying to get at is harnessing that beast to the professionalism of the job. Is it more effective to be an "animal" and throw punches or to maintain pressure and pick your punches, like Louis or Chavez, for example?
    By the way, long time no talk to. How are you my friend?
    Doing fine,how's things with you?
    Kind of what Im getting at,is you have to do both,when to let it off,and put it back on,your defense will suck beyond sucking if you cant do both,you become Vinnie Paz just walking in to punches and getting by on heart,and eventually finding out the hard way,heart wont get you past the concussion you just got

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. Be enthusiastic, but temper that enthusiasm so that it doesn't become reckless.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe and Lords cc you know
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am getting ready for my first fight and have the same problem. I have never been in a real fight in my life, but I need that attitude that will get me the win. I have been hit through the course of my training many many times, but initially found it difficult to respond, and initially I would just cry and get really emotional.

The thing I found out is that there is no noble beauty in actual fighting. If you try to find it, you never will because it ain´t there. The objective of fighting sports is to incapacitate the opponent as soon as possible. It is not the same as soccer or volleyball or whatever other sport. It is brutal and violent, or at least should be. So what Im saying is, you have to be a monster. If you´re a nice person it might seem wrong, but fighting is never really right. It is wrong, and thats the way we like it.

You must ENJOY it. You can´t just think, I have to do this, or else you will need a big shot of adrenaline before you can get into it, all the while thinking, well I don´t really HAVE to do this, I can just quit. You must enjoy seeing the other person fall over from one of your punches, or hunched up, completely demotivated, while you pound their guard. If not, you might as well forget fighting. Its like going to a brothel without being ready to enjoy sex.

That said, every human being has, or should have, a code of ethics. You arent going to kill the person, so you might as well enjoy bruising them up. It doesnt mean you can go home and treat your friends and family the same way. But don´t be scared of breaking someone´s nose, especially if they came all the way over to bash you up. If there is any part of you that enjoys it, that should be the part that is in control when u fight.

I just want to add that whenever I face directly the issue of violence being enjoyable, it actually makes me feel more confused. It is a part of you that you must relax and let take hold, not try to create.

Next time you spar (with someone who at least knows how to fight), try to make their nose bleed. And dont regret it.

Good luck

Thread Information