Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Planning weights/ resistance training program

Hi,

Have been undecided for a while on the best way to fit a decent weights program in with my other training.

I have sometimes done it after boxing training but feel I miss out on extra time I could spend boxing - and the gym often closes too early to get through everything.

Mornings I have a bit of time but like to dedicate that to some kind of cardio.

I'm not actually sure if it's wise to put weight training into the same session as boxing - sacrificing boxing muscle memory and speed if finish with it

Was just wondering how other people do it -

Do you fit it in as part of your boxing training session or separately and how often?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Planning weights/ resistance training program

Hi Sharla.

. I usually do my weight training in the evening.

Typical morning session ( Boxing related roadwork , light jog , shadow boxing ect )

Afternoon session ( work the bag , mitts and some light sparring varies ).

evening ( start with a brisk 45 min walk. Weight training. end with a 45 min walk. ) intensity varies ..remember to get a protein shake in soon after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Lords

Just curious - how long do you have between your afternoon session and evening session and do you feel like you recover enough to make the most of it?

I used to train mornings, lunch and night but was told that I was overtraining so I stopped. Not sure how to fit everything in ever since!

Does it work for you because your weights session is so different from other sessions - assuming it's not really aerobic in comparison?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc back at yeah

intensity varies.. Most common afternoon for me 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM Boxing related activities

6:00 walk - 6:45 weights - 8:00 walk.. 8:45

Power is my biggest asset. So weight training for me is a big part of my game.

My routine would be somewhat uncommon for most boxers. I would urge most boxers to avoid too much weight training as it can be counter productive if not supervised.

I usually have my strength and conditioning coach with me when weight training. Proper form is crucial. You don’t want to loose your flexibility . stretching before and after ..loosen up real good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty intense program but inspiring to hear you can make it work. Thanks for replying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you looking to gain mass?
    Or stay lean and cut?

My workouts are over a 7 day period. I want to bulk a little more but be lean and cut.
    Here is a quick summary of my week:

MONDAY: Weight Training - Arms
    TUESDAY: 1/2 Hr Cardio & 1/2 Hr Boxing Training
    WEDNESDAY: Weight Training - Legs
    THURSDAY: 10 Rounds Sparring
    FRIDAY: Weight Training - Chest & Midsection
    SATURDAY: 1 Hour Boxing Training
    SUNDAY: Weight Training - Neck, Back & Shoulders

It has proven, with correct diet, to be quite beneficial. Each session, each day only consists of about an hours work. This way you get your muscle-focused weights in as well as your cardio & boxing-focused routines.

I don't feel boxing and weights should be done on the same day because boxing is an aerobic workout, while weight training is an anaerobic workout. They require muscles to work different and they have different ways they use stored energy. Work one then wait at least a whole day before you do a different routine. This gives the body plenty of time to recover.

After each, get a good high dose of protein into your body and if you can, take some L-Glutamine. It will help decrease that 'next day tired muscle' syndrome. I mean, you'll still be sore, but not as much.

Peace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Lucky

I'm probably looking to gain a some muscle but not much - just enough to improve my boxing power without making me slow.

I like how you split up muscle groups over the week.

I was told once you should train each muscle group at least twice and preferably 3 times a week but obviously you find once a week for each muscle group is fine since you make that one session fairly intensive?

Also was interested to see you include your neck in weight training - I've always been unsure as to how this should be done safely. How do you train your neck?

I haven't really looked into L-Glutamine but will investigate it now thanks for the tip.

Your training program is interesting - thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla... the neck is very dangerous work out.. I recommend supervision.

I remember watching Ray Mercer years ago putting the weight plates in the neck harness and start the up and down up and down,, next thing you know he was having surgery on a ruptured disk in his neck. You want to be careful with all that..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Lords I'm a bit injury paranoid in my old age so wouldn't want to take too many risks. I don't know anyone that does a lot for neck strengthening who could spot me on it - so as you say maybe I'll stay away from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I do make each session fairly intensive. I do a something called X-Reps.
    I'll explain this but to understand I have to say something else.
    Each muscle has two types of fibers in it. Fast-Twitch(FT) and Slow-Twitch(ST) fibers. FT fibers are for explosive sudden movements. They are used for example in punches, kicks and general movement. They tend to get tired quick.
    ST fibers are used for endurance movements. eg: Jogging, running, swimming etc.
    They do not get tired as quick as FT fibers and use energy slower but for longer periods.

Both of these do contribute to how big, strong, long a muscle will be. Bodybuilders, doing only weights, will not normally train ST fibers, either because more time and patience is required or because they do not need them.

Boxers should train ST fibers though in the case that they may have to go many rounds and still need muscle energy to throw punches.

With all that said, I will explain X-Reps. I will use the simple pushup as the example exercise. However, most exercises can be performed as X-Reps.

Complete a normal pushup as usual. Bending at the elbows, back straight. I'm sure you know how to do a proper pushup.
    Continue to do pushups, slowly, until your muscles are that tired that you CANNOT EVEN DO ONE MORE.
    Then rest for 30 seconds, no more then this.

Now imagine the pushup is split into three parts.
    1)Arms full extended. Chest furthest away from floor.
    2)Arms bent 90*.
    3)Arms fully bent. Chest almost touching floor.

To complete the X-rep, you would start in position 1, and lower yourself to position 2. Hold this for 3 seconds, then return to position 1.

You do this faster then but STILL as SMOOTH as you would do a normally pushup.
    Continue doing this until you CANNOT DO EVEN ONE MORE.

To finish, you hold yourself in position 2 for as long as you can, until you fall to the floor. Laying there, dieing from muscle soreness haha!

THIS IS ONE SET.

I do three sets of these with 2 minutes rest between each set for each exercise I do.
    So I know all this might sound complicated and jumbled writing but if you could see it in vision, you'd understand.

BASICALLY all you do is split the exercise you want into 3 parts.
    1)Starting Point
    2)Midway Point
    3)Ending Point.

Then do the full exercise, positions 1-3 until your muscles can't do anymore. Then rest 30 seconds, then do the exercise again from position 1-2 until your muscles can't do anymore. Then rest 30 seconds and hold the exercise in position 2 until you can't hold it no longer. THIS IS ONE SET.

Complete 3 sets of each exercise you do.
    This techniques targets your FT and ST fibers together. Works wonders.

Just make SURE that the weight is not to heavy. If bones are clicking/moving improperly or there is any pain anywhere in the body BESIDES the muscle you are suppose to be working, then use lighter weights or correct how you are holding the weight.

Sorry to write so much but yeah it is alot to explain.

About the neck exercise, I find dumbbell shrugs work the trapezius (neck) muscle the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Lucky - very interesting technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    Sharla... the neck is very dangerous work out.. I recommend supervision.

I remember watching Ray Mercer years ago putting the weight plates in the neck harness and start the up and down up and down,, next thing you know he was having surgery on a ruptured disk in his neck. You want to be careful with all that..
    Yeah I agree. It is very dangerous. But as I said, I find Shrugs the 'safer' and better option. The worst you could get it strain I would think. But always train with the CORRECT amount of weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry,I don't know much about this but doesn't any type of weight training slow you down? I thought most boxers stayed away from them altogether And if you are to do them,how can you make it so it's still beneficial without being detrimental?

And Lucky,that excericse you descirbed,with the 3 parts,what does that assist with? Sorry,I'm new to this but really find it interesting.

Thread Information