Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Golovkin the Real Deal ?

DiBella thinks that he has not fought anyone of real note yet. Will a conclusive demolition of Macklin prove anything or does the manner of GGG's previous KO wins already single him out as special ?

Lou DiBella: Golovkin Has Never Fought Anybody Good - Boxing News
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Golovkin the Real Deal ?

So many people have power and fall flat on their faces.

He does have some skill to back up his power, he can be a top fighter for a while.

But I wouldn't say he's special.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is clearly class. The problem is there's no star middleweight barring Martinez and Chavez jr. So blasting out Macklin will be very impressive to the non-braindead hardcore fan. However, unless Golovkin can get a "star" name he will never crossover to the general fan.

Mackilin is a good proven fighter. If he does well Golovkin will get called overrated. If he gets slaughtered Macklin will get called toilet.

I see it as a no-win fight for Golovkin (even though it's a genuine good one for the division).
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin was a outstanding amateur, big puncher then and now go onto Youtube, and see what
    he done to Bute, in the amateurs and others.!
    GGG has the pedigree, he would put Sergio's lights out pretty easy I would say, Macklin is brave
    but I can only see him getting KO, I like Macklin but he is out of his depth.!

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he beats Macklin then he could go after Quillin for Stateside exposure. Or he could move up, come to the UK and just smack up DeGale which would, after Duran, make him only the second man in history to knock out a horse.*

*(Geordies offering them out doesn't count, @Kirkland Laing)
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he has a good showing against Macklin, he should attempt to line up a fight with Junior for the end of the year. If that isn't available, Geale is his best chance at unification. I just doubt Geale takes him up on that challenge. Since Pirog has effectively retired, a fight with Pirog won't happen, but it could have been a good one. I'm pretty sure I read Hearn doesn't want Barker against Golovkin.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    If he has a good showing against Macklin, he should attempt to line up a fight with Junior for the end of the year. If that isn't available, Geale is his best chance at unification. I just doubt Geale takes him up on that challenge. Since Pirog has effectively retired, a fight with Pirog won't happen, but it could have been a good one. I'm pretty sure I read Hearn doesn't want Barker against Golovkin.
    I don't think Junior will fight him. Barker - Geale is I think being negotiated.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like what I see! Someone has schooled him on the basics and he does have a solid amatuer background to impliment into his arsonal and it does serve him well with guys who won't stay close!
    He has a good jab and is looking for openings to land power shots as he should! He is NOT a crude fighter at all but he has a ruffness about him thats fine by me.
    He is no different than any fighter ever who climbs up to the top tens, can he take adversity and weather a storm Until that happens thats the biggest question every boxer has to have answered.
    He's not neglectfull to the body and keeps realitively calm in his fights! He has a good body with very good reach and he seems to be a well conditioned fighter! I like the kid its to bad no one is willing to match him but that tells everyone that management, promotors AND other fighters aren't willing to try him. Thats pretty impressive right there! I know for a fact that contracts were offered to the main Middleweights and theres room to negotiaste to try to pull one of them in!!!
    I think Sergio vs GGG is the best middleweight bout that most fans would agree on as far as known fighters!
    Personally I'd like a 10 round non-title bout at 160+3lbs against Ward! Then we'll see what I think might be a good one. Ray

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everybody seems to be avoiding him. He has sparred with some top names. First time i watched him fight live was against Rosado (media convinced me this was a Rosado win) well..

After youtubing some of his fights i can't see him being beaten ,, seems to have everything ..Timing Power, Chin, Heart (not the fastest but speed doesn't mean everything when you have timing and chin imo)

The Macklin fight and how he deals with it is a test. I think I will personally judge him after this fight.

As well as in the ring, outside the ring he seems to have a great attitude and personality.

Looking forwards to the fight

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looked like he settled down and brought his jab in last outting. I'm warming to the dude and think he can put together a nice package of power boxing. His head movement needs to shape up and he still takes too many left hooks though. He'll have a good chance to highlight some boxing and accurate power with Macklin and shouldn't get sucked into a happy hooker power fest. I'd very much like a go with Quillin and think its merinated nicely as a quality match with both hitting peaks.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw his last fight and liked it, so I've spent some time watching 5 or 6 of his fights, to educate myself. how good he is, it is hard to tell because the guys he fights are so, so, so bad. Plus, a lot of them a lefties and that is always a weirdness factor. most guys that fight southpaw do it because they are too lazy to learn how to fight- we'll debate that at another time- so it always skews things when you watch.
    GGG has some funky habits. He raises his elbows when he jabs and throws his right hand- no straight punches, that I've seen, everything arcs. When he throws his right hand, he often brings his right foot forward; I thought he did it only with southpaws but he does it pretty regularly. This gets you timed and knocked out- watch botha vs Tyson and moorer to see how you counter this with your own right hand. he stays in range to much, catching punches, though in some fights he got out of reach pretty quickly.(this is how you control distance-and how you avoid telegraphing your moves).
    The idea of him fighting with a Hopkins, Toney, Nunn, Hagler, etc..at 160 is pretty far fetched, laughable. If he had been fighting the guys that hagler fought, the monroes and Watts, etc... he'd be 16-4, but he'd be a much better fighter than he is now. I think he can learn buty i don't think the guys he is fighting can teach anybody anything

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No.

The only Real Deal is Evander Holyfield.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he is the real deal, just needs to prove it against better opposition. Macklin is a start and Kid Chocolate/Geale would be next.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Yes he is the real deal, just needs to prove it against better opposition. Macklin is a start and Kid Chocolate/Geale would be next.
    GGG they say sparked Quillin, in sparring just hear say or fact.!

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG they say sparked Quillin, in sparring just hear say or fact.!
    That means Quillen will avoid him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information