Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Badgers

Shoot em? Or all go boo hoo and cry a bit? They are not talking about an eradication of the species, just a managed cull. Where where they when they manage Deer numbers? The solution is to eat badgers, except they have TB. Stripy coat?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Badgers

When attacked by a badger that wont let go simply snap a large branch so the badger thinks it has broken your leg. It will then let go safe in the knowledge that it has caused some serious damage.

That sounded like a bit of Viz advice

I was cycling home the other day and there was a massive hole in the cyclepath, deep as well, wasnt there the day before. Turns out it was a badger. If the cunts can chew/scratch their way through tarmac/concrete I dont want them anywhere near me. I might get a gun just in case.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry but this belongs right here.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Shoot em? Or all go boo hoo and cry a bit? They are not talking about an eradication of the species, just a managed cull. Where where they when they manage Deer numbers? The solution is to eat badgers, except they have TB. Stripy coat?
    I dont know the layout of where you live but there is a reason why they are there. They really have no natural predators although wolves have predated on them in this part of the world. Foxes have been known to take cubs but you guys have already killed all of those

Richardson ground squirrels (gophers) are food items for them but I'm not sure about those populations in Britain. They dont indiscriminately attack people. They are not going to come out of their holes and attack someone on a bike unless they feel defensive for some reason. I grew up around them but they dont live this far north.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@IamInuit I realise they are an important part of the natural habitat but the maneged cull in the UK is to slow down the rapid increase in cases of Badgers passing on TB to cattle. I think if you care about animals then putting what people who don't know otherwise, and see as somehow cuddly creatures above 20 000 cows put down or killed by TB last year makes a mockery of the protesters claims to be interested in animal welfare. I live on the border of Devonshire and Cornwall which is pretty rural and full of wild moorland, woods and farms, surrounded by coast. If you are a farmer you can't afford to be sentimental.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@IamInuit I realise they are an important part of the natural habitat but the maneged cull in the UK is to slow down the rapid increase in cases of Badgers passing on TB to cattle. I think if you care about animals then putting what people who don't know otherwise, and see as somehow cuddly creatures above 20 000 cows put down or killed by TB last year makes a mockery of the protesters claims to be interested in animal welfare. I live on the border of Devonshire and Cornwall which is pretty rural and full of wild moorland, woods and farms, surrounded by coast. If you are a farmer you can't afford to be sentimental.
    ha, you live on the Devonshire/Cornwall border?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There was a Guy in the 70s, in the English Lake Distict had one. He had raised it from Birth, lived near Hawshead in the woods in a House . It was brilliant with People and Children. I was doing some Plumbing there,first time I saw it, I remarked to the guy theres a Badger in your Garden. He said its mine, thought F==king Hell. But I played with it, rolled over I scratched its Belly and we were Friends, lovely thing, it was Male.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    I dont know the layout of where you live but there is a reason why they are there. They really have no natural predators although wolves have predated on them in this part of the world. Foxes have been known to take cubs but you guys have already killed all of those

Richardson ground squirrels (gophers) are food items for them but I'm not sure about those populations in Britain. They dont indiscriminately attack people. They are not going to come out of their holes and attack someone on a bike unless they feel defensive for some reason. I grew up around them but they dont live this far north.
    So just to be clear, Im NOT going to be killed by a badger on the way home tonight?

On a serious note I have heard that they are right hard bastards when pushed into fisticuffs.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are in the same family as ferrets and hyenas apparently and are one of the very few animals that can actually genuinly lock their jaw! Not just hold on with jaw strength but there jaw bone has some sort of hinge that locks in to the skull.

So if you or your dog or whatever else pisses one off and it grabs hold, even if you manage to kill it, you still aint getting the fucker off

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    They are in the same family as ferrets and hyenas apparently and are one of the very few animals that can actually genuinly lock their jaw! Not just hold on with jaw strength but there jaw bone has some sort of hinge that locks in to the skull.

So if you or your dog or whatever else pisses one off and it grabs hold, even if you manage to kill it, you still aint getting the fucker off
    That is why there are still people walking around with rotting Badger carcasses on the end of one leg. Like a black and white Fame style leg warmer only with teeth and flies.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    ha, you live on the Devonshire/Cornwall border?
    Yeah. I can see it across the water and take a boat, ferry or drive to it across the Tamar Bridge or I can drive across the moors and get there that way. I probably have as many friends in Cornwall as in Devon. We have a separate North and South coast unlike any other English county ( Cornwalls are Joined at Lands End ). We are just across the water from Breton which is quite different than the rest of France and share a common ancestry with many place names and words reflecting this. The Bretons, Cornish , Devonians and Welsh are basically the same crew originally and we used to be known as West Wales.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had no idea about the TB connection but anything can almost spread TB so fear of it in and of itself is no reason to go on a rampage. I've seen words like "cull" and "harvest" used before and they have resulted in the extinction of many animals and endangerment status for many others.Its amazing to me that in a country as large as mine that so many animals find themselves on the brink. I understand the balance though. If I was a farmer in a similar situation with my livelihood on the line, I might not be open to all that much discussion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The minister trying to justify the cull said they do the same thing in Australia, US, etc and shoot them and then control the numbers from there.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bobcats, that's what scares me. We have them in my state. When I playfight with my house cat he sometimes kicks my ass. He gets the backclaws, front claws and teeth going and its out of control. I watched my cat attack and scare off a German Shepard, no shit. One of the scariest things I can think of is a large wild cat.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Bobcats, that's what scares me. We have them in my state. When I playfight with my house cat he sometimes kicks my ass. He gets the backclaws, front claws and teeth going and its out of control. I watched my cat attack and scare off a German Shepard, no shit. One of the scariest things I can think of is a large wild cat.
    I had to google Bobcat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want one.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information