Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  64
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: how many MODs do we have in this forum?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how many MODs do we have in this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I decided to bump this one.

Given the recent drama in the forum surrounding bannings and other such matters, I think it's a natural question to ask... just how many mods ARE there in the forum... and what is considered the necessary number to have. I think it's a reasonable question, since mods obviously have a lot to do with what gets permitted here and what isn't.

Personally, I was happy with the original number of mods (since 2005 anyway)... and adding too many can create issues. To begin with, and stressing it's only my opinion, mods need special characteristics to be good mods. It helps if they don't have any personal vendettas, secret or otherwise. It helps if they're not given to frequent skirmishes. It helps if they're level-headed about issues, even emotional ones. I have my own personal opinion of who's a good mod and who isn't, just by the years of reading everything that's said. Again, opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. But again, I think you start flooding a forum with too many mods... and you're bound to get some trigger-happy, power-drunk, not-very-objective person who can singlehandedly drive away some pretty good posters. Which is a shame, of course. The ideal mod should be "clique-less", which to me means he/she should view everyone the same way, regardless of nationality, politics, religious beliefs, etc. The ideal mod should also be immune to brown-nosing, ass-kissing... whatever you want to call it.

Being totally open, I'm disappointed with the departures of some of our more recent posters, such as vidgil. I thought he was pretty decent, and didn't engage in anything the rest of us haven't engaged in at some point or another. Him and walrus I sort of group together. A couple of self-effacing American guys who came into the forum looking for a little fun, and contributed some pretty good, albeit different points of view. At some point they got into some scraps, but hey... if everyone who ever got into scraps was gone from here... someone would have to shut out the light, 'cause they'd be nobody left. Analyzing the situation a bit, they probably felt like they were being shunned by what they consider a cliquish atmosphere. If that's the case, I can sort of understand where they're coming from.

Going back to the mods, the important thing is they're fellow human beings like the rest of us, who are prone to get pissed like the rest of us. If a mod takes something personal, he/she's bound to respond in a perfectly understandable human way. In other words, mods are not mistake-proof. I only wish there was a mechanism by which a mod mistake could be rectified or undone. After all, I would think we all want the forum to grow in numbers and diversity. If it becomes an exclusive, good ol' boys club.... I think it'll be to the detriment of the overall atmosphere.

Consistency is probably the most important feature of a mod's function. It's like calling balls and strikes in baseball (sorry... hopefully our British friends will follow the analogy). A good umpire isn't one who has the perfect strike zone. A good umpire is the one who calls pitches consistently from one pitch to the next, from one pitcher to the next... and even from one game to the next. I guess that's my way of saying that what is "bannable" on the one hand, should be "bannable" no matter WHO it comes from, or when it happens.

Just my worth.
    This is a very funny post.

"..you're bound to get some trigger-happy, power-drunk, not-very-objective person who can singlehandedly drive away some pretty good posters"

is probably the funniest line

or so I thought until

"Being totally open, I'm disappointed with the departures of some of our more recent posters, such as vidgil. I thought he was pretty decent, and didn't engage in anything the rest of us haven't engaged in at some point or another. Him and walrus I sort of group together. A couple of self-effacing American guys who came into the forum looking for a little fun, and contributed some pretty good, albeit different points of view. At some point they got into some scraps, but hey... if everyone who ever got into scraps was gone from here... someone would have to shut out the light, 'cause they'd be nobody left. Analyzing the situation a bit, they probably felt like they were being shunned by what they consider a cliquish atmosphere. If that's the case, I can sort of understand where they're coming from."

So in the spirit of openness and frankness that you have espoused I am guessing that the first sentence refers to Master. Which makes your second point all the more hilarious.

First neither Walrus or Vidgil have been banned as far as I can tell and so you first have to wonder if they have even left. People take a break from posting sometimes but you may be right about Vidgil. What prompted it ? could it have been this post from Master

The OP is going through a crisis and should be ignored.

So you have to remember that this is the same poster who had just posted a thread listing all the things wrong with the right in order to bait people and give them enough rope to hang themselves, before claiming it was all down to some kind of crisis or funny turn and he didn't mean any of it.

and then right afterwards this post from him

"No wonder this board only has like 5 posters, the admins are a bunch of gay cunts! There's one on the boxing forum telling people to ignore me! What a lib pussy!

Don't bother banning me you brit fags, I won't be back!

This board can eat my ass AND my balls!

And fuck @Beanz I pity your kids growing up with a pussy wannabe punk for a dad!

See ya, libtard pussies!!"

I see how you have turned it all onto it's head, but really myself and Master do not constitute much of a clique. That is two people. Unlike Vidgil, Walrus, Brockton, and sometimes Lyle all singing from the same hymn sheet. You would even have to include many others at times and then even yourself when it came to @Calling out Denilson.

That gang of which you are often a member is much more like an old boys club in it's values and pretty sad childish stuff for three or four of it's core members. I would like to think that most people here post considering they are amongst friends, but you are correct in that can be seen as cliques for newer posters, and that some of the things posted by some long time posters who should know better, actively discourage new people from joining.

But because they are in your 'Clique" you still defend them.

just my hay pennies worth

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

About half a dozen I reckon. Master is the only one that actually does anything and all he does is tidy up a bit and point out the glaringly obvious.

I know it might sound like a bit of a cop out but the thing about this place is that its always kinda self moderated because of the (generally speaking) kind of character we get in here. Look at any 'how did you end up at Saddo's' thread. Most people bounce about a bit and find a comfy spot to bed in, they see how the place operates and it suits their style.

I do think we need to sharpen up a bit. I've never been one for banning to be honest and always said you cant ban someone for being a prick, the place would be empty. That said there are a handful of posters who whilst not doing anything in particular that's outside of what Saddo deems 'OK', they do like to spend their days initiating or partaking in pathetic squabbles and to be honest, I think the forum would be better off without them. Have a row all you like, but every day, every thread, every time? It got old a long time ago.

We cant be offended on everyone's behalf so if something in particular bothers you, say something.

I do have more to add but Ive got a cracking sarnie for lunch and its calling me.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    About half a dozen I reckon. Master is the only one that actually does anything and all he does is tidy up a bit and point out the glaringly obvious.

I know it might sound like a bit of a cop out but the thing about this place is that its always kinda self moderated because of the (generally speaking) kind of character we get in here. Look at any 'how did you end up at Saddo's' thread. Most people bounce about a bit and find a comfy spot to bed in, they see how the place operates and it suits their style.

I do think we need to sharpen up a bit. I've never been one for banning to be honest and always said you cant ban someone for being a prick, the place would be empty. That said there are a handful of posters who whilst not doing anything in particular that's outside of what Saddo deems 'OK', they do like to spend their days initiating or partaking in pathetic squabbles and to be honest, I think the forum would be better off without them. Have a row all you like, but every day, every thread, every time? It got old a long time ago.

We cant be offended on everyone's behalf so if something in particular bothers you, say something.

I do have more to add but Ive got a cracking sarnie for lunch and its calling me.

Master - our very own Self-Evident Womble........... Bless Him

On the food tip i had a lovely Spaghetti Bolognese made for me round the old dears earlier
    Last edited by smashup; 04-01-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

Funny... it wasn't meant to be funny. But I'm happy to provide humor whether it's intended or not.

"..you're bound to get some trigger-happy, power-drunk, not-very-objective person who can singlehandedly drive away some pretty good posters"

Once again, your idea of humor escapes me. But I guess it must be a cultural thing, as you Brits have your own unique sense of humor.

or so I thought until

"Being totally open, I'm disappointed with the departures of some of our more recent posters, such as vidgil. I thought he was pretty decent, and didn't engage in anything the rest of us haven't engaged in at some point or another. Him and walrus I sort of group together. A couple of self-effacing American guys who came into the forum looking for a little fun, and contributed some pretty good, albeit different points of view. At some point they got into some scraps, but hey... if everyone who ever got into scraps was gone from here... someone would have to shut out the light, 'cause they'd be nobody left. Analyzing the situation a bit, they probably felt like they were being shunned by what they consider a cliquish atmosphere. If that's the case, I can sort of understand where they're coming from."

So in the spirit of openness and frankness that you have espoused I am guessing that the first sentence refers to Master. Which makes your second point all the more hilarious.

I'm afraid your guessing is off the mark, for no... I'm not referring to Master. Although it bears mentioning that Master was the first response to my post, and he did so without the sarcastic, condescending tone you so predictably chose to use. I'll go even further to state that IMO, Master is one of the better mods on here. He strikes me as a level-headed, mature adult... who can disagree with someone without using the all-high-and-mighty card.

I see how you have turned it all onto it's head, but really myself and Master do not constitute much of a clique. That is two people. Unlike Vidgil, Walrus, Brockton, and sometimes Lyle all singing from the same hymn sheet. You would even have to include many others at times and then even yourself when it came to @Calling out Denilson.

You assume I'm referring to you and Master as a "clique". But you know what they say about assuming.

Once again you're totally off the mark. Further up you quoted Vidgil's farewell bombshell as proof the guy was shit. Unfortunately, I see it as a lashing out from frustration at some of the very things I've seen personally in here.

Let's face it Beanz. Whether you admit it or not, you've had more than your share of personal tussles on here. You're confrontational, and given to condescension and sarcasm. We had our own battles back in the day, and nowadays manage to coexist through a peace treaty borne from mutual respect for each other's viewpoints.

The halo you're trying to wear regarding Denilson doesn't fit, bro. Return it. It's not just the "hymn singing crowd", as you very humorously put it (see? you're capable of your own humor) that has engaged in cross-fire with Denilson. A few other, esteemed members of Saddo have weighed in from time to time on the guy. When someone discovered that Denilson cuts and pastes the same racial drivel across different forums... and many times does not appear to directly respond to questions but rather inserts another cut-paste.... his stock went down in my view. If you're gonna be controversial, at least be original. ALSO.... Denilson has gotten some heavy-duty insults thrown in his face by other forum members outside of the "hymn-singing group" you so frequently like to wrap up in a tidy little package with a bow.

My original intent with bumping the thread was to begin a serious, thought-provoking discussion about the number of mods, and how many can be too many. But I would've bet my bottom dollar that you were going to come barging in with your unique brand of sarcasm and what can be interpreted as bullying. Fortunately for the both of us, I'm neither a poster who starts dozens of threads about human fecal matter..... nor am I a poster who wonders out loud what color hair should his next makeover be like. I'm not easily intimidated, much less through a keyboard... and can more than hold my own when bullied or provoked.

That gang of which you are often a member is much more like an old boys club in it's values and pretty sad childish stuff for three or four of it's core members. I would like to think that most people here post considering they are amongst friends, but you are correct in that can be seen as cliques for newer posters, and that some of the things posted by some long time posters who should know better, actively discourage new people from joining.

Finally, fuck right off with your "they're your clique and you still defend them". Since when have I joined hands with other posters on here to say what I have to say? You should know better than that, and I suspect you do... but the MASSIVE BOULDER ON YOUR SHOULDER prevents you from seeing things objectively. I fight my own goddamn battles, if you hadn't noticed by now. I've criticized Brock countless times for his views and his methods. I regularly disagree with Lyle... but there is a mutual respect, to the point where we've both privately apologized when we've taken things too far. A telling point is that even Dia, who hails from your side of the ocean, and who began here as the least aggressive poster on the planet.... has even been dragged into the mud and now in your eyes belongs to the "hymn-singing club".

You're a bit schizophrenic sometimes, bro. I've seen you insult Lyle like I never have, only to turn around 5 posts later and suck up to him, separating him from the Brocks, Walruses, and Vidgils of the world. That doesn't look good with any pair of glasses.

I don't @anyone, at least for damaging purposes.... I don't ask for anyone to be banned. Well... there was this ONE exception. But he's gone off now, so that's academic. I don't go around asking for anyone to agree with me. I say my peace and move on. So don't try to lump me with anyone... it's not gonna work.

I'll stick to my opinion. When Vidgil started he was a pretty cool poster. Whatever personal problems he may have had at some point, we all go through our share of issues. It's called life. His farewell blast was mean, but it's not like meaner things haven't been said here by established posters at some point. I for one am disappointed he's not coming back. Not everyone quits the forum 614 times. If my opinion of Vidgil is what rubbed you the wrong way..... too bad.

Oh and by the way.... my compliments to Master are probably the only time I've ever complimented a mod in this forum. I don't seek special favors... I don't seek to be "protected"... I don't seek shit. I just come in here to have my daily (almost) fun.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have one too many Mods
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, but probably not the same one.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know TitoFan was not meaning me. TitoFan is straight down the middle and impartial as you can get. his posts are well written and thought out.

Lyle is not part of any clique, he is his own man. Just as Miles.

The only poster I have banned is Brock about 3 times and I have warned Denilson a number of times which he has taken note and normally complied.

Beanz is writing some of the best posts and I want Ross back.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Funny... it wasn't meant to be funny. But I'm happy to provide humor whether it's intended or not.

Once again, your idea of humor escapes me. But I guess it must be a cultural thing, as you Brits have your own unique sense of humor.

or so I thought until

I'm afraid your guessing is off the mark, for no... I'm not referring to Master. Although it bears mentioning that Master was the first response to my post, and he did so without the sarcastic, condescending tone you so predictably chose to use. I'll go even further to state that IMO, Master is one of the better mods on here. He strikes me as a level-headed, mature adult... who can disagree with someone without using the all-high-and-mighty card.

You assume I'm referring to you and Master as a "clique". But you know what they say about assuming.

Once again you're totally off the mark. Further up you quoted Vidgil's farewell bombshell as proof the guy was shit. Unfortunately, I see it as a lashing out from frustration at some of the very things I've seen personally in here.

Let's face it Beanz. Whether you admit it or not, you've had more than your share of personal tussles on here. You're confrontational, and given to condescension and sarcasm. We had our own battles back in the day, and nowadays manage to coexist through a peace treaty borne from mutual respect for each other's viewpoints.

The halo you're trying to wear regarding Denilson doesn't fit, bro. Return it. It's not just the "hymn singing crowd", as you very humorously put it (see? you're capable of your own humor) that has engaged in cross-fire with Denilson. A few other, esteemed members of Saddo have weighed in from time to time on the guy. When someone discovered that Denilson cuts and pastes the same racial drivel across different forums... and many times does not appear to directly respond to questions but rather inserts another cut-paste.... his stock went down in my view. If you're gonna be controversial, at least be original. ALSO.... Denilson has gotten some heavy-duty insults thrown in his face by other forum members outside of the "hymn-singing group" you so frequently like to wrap up in a tidy little package with a bow.

My original intent with bumping the thread was to begin a serious, thought-provoking discussion about the number of mods, and how many can be too many. But I would've bet my bottom dollar that you were going to come barging in with your unique brand of sarcasm and what can be interpreted as bullying. Fortunately for the both of us, I'm neither a poster who starts dozens of threads about human fecal matter..... nor am I a poster who wonders out loud what color hair should his next makeover be like. I'm not easily intimidated, much less through a keyboard... and can more than hold my own when bullied or provoked.

Finally, fuck right off with your "they're your clique and you still defend them". Since when have I joined hands with other posters on here to say what I have to say? You should know better than that, and I suspect you do... but the MASSIVE BOULDER ON YOUR SHOULDER prevents you from seeing things objectively. I fight my own goddamn battles, if you hadn't noticed by now. I've criticized Brock countless times for his views and his methods. I regularly disagree with Lyle... but there is a mutual respect, to the point where we've both privately apologized when we've taken things too far. A telling point is that even Dia, who hails from your side of the ocean, and who began here as the least aggressive poster on the planet.... has even been dragged into the mud and now in your eyes belongs to the "hymn-singing club".

You're a bit schizophrenic sometimes, bro. I've seen you insult Lyle like I never have, only to turn around 5 posts later and suck up to him, separating him from the Brocks, Walruses, and Vidgils of the world. That doesn't look good with any pair of glasses.

I don't @anyone, at least for damaging purposes.... I don't ask for anyone to be banned. Well... there was this ONE exception. But he's gone off now, so that's academic. I don't go around asking for anyone to agree with me. I say my peace and move on. So don't try to lump me with anyone... it's not gonna work.

I'll stick to my opinion. When Vidgil started he was a pretty cool poster. Whatever personal problems he may have had at some point, we all go through our share of issues. It's called life. His farewell blast was mean, but it's not like meaner things haven't been said here by established posters at some point. I for one am disappointed he's not coming back. Not everyone quits the forum 614 times. If my opinion of Vidgil is what rubbed you the wrong way..... too bad.

Oh and by the way.... my compliments to Master are probably the only time I've ever complimented a mod in this forum. I don't seek special favors... I don't seek to be "protected"... I don't seek shit. I just come in here to have my daily (almost) fun.
    ha!

Who is this clique then? other than your gang? seriously who are they? who is in such a cliquey club that Walrus and Vidgil felt that they had to leave? Is it just all Brits not in your gang? is it Fenster because he is not afraid to tell it like it is? Is it Smashup because he is too much of a geeza for you? Come on man I really have no idea who is in this gang or who is in it? And while your at it how many is too many Mods? I am sure everyone is dying to know?

3 is that the magic number?

I don't have a boulder on my shoulder but I am certainly not in any kind of cliquey gang you prune. Yes i piss people off but I am not trying to intimidate you, so you can rest assured we all now know how manly you are. I bet you smell of old spice and have a medallion too, but I am probably just reaching

4? is that the magic number
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanz, you have got the wrong end of the stick, Titofan was not even talking about you.

He probably thinks there are more mods than posters here.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Beanz, you have got the wrong end of the stick, Titofan was not even talking about you.

Would you resign by popular demand ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see denilson (a black man) has been banned but everyone else (white) is allowed to say what they want

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Would you resign by popular demand ?
    Yes

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And would you stay as a mod by unpopular demand?

Oh. Silly question

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JustChill View Post
    I see denilson (a black man) has been banned but everyone else (white) is allowed to say what they want
    ha! that is in interesting first post for somebody who would not even know who denilson was ? there are at least two people in this thread who are not white and one of them is you
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JustChill View Post
    ha! that is in interesting first post for somebody who would not even know who denilson was ? there are at least two people in this thread who are not white and one of them is you
    I've noticed that white people can say what want about racism, plenty of racist posts that the mods let fly, but when a black man speaks up against racism, he get's banned.

Thread Information