Hi everyone, I was able to recover one of the lost posts from a few years back that has some neat things worth going over.

How to establish bodywork?

SOBO:
I was watching some boxing today, and they were talking about how it is key to go to the body early. I know body work is key, thus i would like to learn some keys to establish a good body game.

I know to get a good body game you need to get in close. Is there a way to reach the body without having to get in close; i am not a tall guy with a lot of reach, but i consider myself quick: can i use that?

If not, what is a good game plan for good body work?

And if i am in an amaeture fight, will body work be a factor in lets say a 4 round fight? I doubt it, unless the guy is in terrible shape, so should i concentrate on head shots, or will body work get me points as well?

Thanks

Tyler Durden:
I am not an expert in this field, but I recall an old quote;
"Bring down the chest and the head will fall.."
When I get hit with hard bodypunches, especially on my liver, I tend to lower my defence a little bit to protect my body and unfortunatly take a few more shots to the head. Although it is getting better I keep doing that more or less.
Maybe that is your key for amateur fights, force your opponent to lower his defence, and then go for the head. I only use bodyshots to make points since I am pretty tall. But I cannot tell you what's the best way to do so..
Best of luck

Omega:
hmm...advice...I am a short fighter with short arms for my weight, so i am naturally a power body puncher, i rarely hit the head compared to the body. People usually bitch at you after you pound them to the body for a sparring session cus it goes away slower(if you hit them good, and in the right spot, like a solarplex) than a little dizziness.
If you want to get inside, be prepared to get hit more than usual, so a nice defense will be important. Also, if you are short, slipping then coming back with a hook to the body as they punch works GREAT. their side is open, you have momentum, and u just slipped his punch, wasting some of his energy and confidence.
But...this is real tough to do good, my trainers told me that will be a great asset to me in the future, but i should wait about 5 fights before i get into lots of bobbing and weaving, since you could get caught off balance.
I'm gonna stop right here, im not experienced and i dont wanna tell you something stupid

SOBO:
Thanks, for the tips both of you,
Yeah I figured for me to get inside I would have to get hit, but everyone keeps saying it, that's all I heard, work the body work the body work the body, So I figure not enough people are doing it, and it's obviously the right thing to do, if all those "boxing experts" are saying, so when I satrt going to the boxing gym again this monday, i'll work on that!

Andre:
You can practice blocking and following the arm back as it retracts. moving in at this time has your glove or wrist over his elbow point and you can feel his reaction ,so you dont have to wait to see it;then think it;then react to it your self.(feel /react saves time and is safer and very controlling without grabbing.

Its the safest way to get into an in fight position wihout taking one first.,
It takes practice with your sparring partner and different footwork to get around a lead leg ;sometimes rounded footwork in little s -shapes or c -shapes which take you around a lead arm or leg.

Obviously this wont work with a flurry or early in a round when everythings fast and fresh.Best then to make with loads of side movment and force him to change to suit you and try to make him pay as he turns to reface you.

Amature fights tend to rely and get scored better on control,so the jab is ruler.
Alot of taller men try to hang the jab out there when they know they have you out reached! If I had short arms and were playing the game ,I would try to slip just outside a jab that was lingering in my face all night and control it with my parallel arm sliding it down the out side for the feel and control and then attacking it to the bicep from underneath with my other arm which then has control of the centre line.(His other hand is momentarily not a worry.)
Or you can catch the jab between your cheek and say right glove ,turn and attack the tricep with an outer left hook. You can even do this with a slight retreat then a switch in footwork as the hook lands and because your moving to the outside away from his other arm it is completly safe to do so.
This type of unexpected stuff really makes an opponent rethink his standing and thats when you catch them ,just as their re -thoughts dawn on them ,you'll see it.

Omega:
Quote from: Andre on January 30, 2004, 02:56:36 PM
You can practice blocking and following the arm back as it retracts. moving in at this time has your glove or wrist over his elbow point and you can feel his reaction ,so you dont have to wait to see it;then think it;then react to it your self.(feel /react saves time and is safer and very controlling without grabbing.

Its the safest way to get into an in fight position wihout taking one first.,
It takes practice with your sparring partner and different footwork to get around a lead leg ;sometimes rounded footwork in little s -shapes or c -shapes which take you around a lead arm or leg.

Obviously this wont work with a flurry or early in a round when everythings fast and fresh.Best then to make with loads of side movment and force him to change to suit you and try to make him pay as he turns to reface you.

Amature fights tend to rely and get scored better on control,so the jab is ruler.
Alot of taller men try to hang the jab out there when they know they have you out reached! If I had short arms and were playing the game ,I would try to slip just outside a jab that was lingering in my face all night and control it with my parallel arm sliding it down the out side for the feel and control and then attacking it to the bicep from underneath with my other arm which then has control of the centre line.(His other hand is momentarily not a worry.)
Or you can catch the jab between your cheek and say right glove ,turn and attack the tricep with an outer left hook. You can even do this with a slight retreat then a switch in footwork as the hook lands and because your moving to the outside away from his other arm it is completly safe to do so.
This type of unexpected stuff really makes an opponent rethink his standing and thats when you catch them ,just as their re -thoughts dawn on them ,you'll see it.
Great Advice Andre, i'll be sure to practise this reflex thing, sounds like a good plan not to get hit in the face!
Have a...

Andre:
Quote from: Omega on January 30, 2004, 05:16:26 PM
good stuff up there^.
i worked on the catching the jab, gotta be careful with it so it doesnt look like a hold.
Yeah dead right Omega.You will not only confuse the opponent but all whos watching ,including the ref.

Thats why you can also... as you move slightly forward with the head to the outside,you can even then turn away like you dont want anything to do with him at all !while turning the hook into his tricep or head with full weight as you turn out ! You have contact of him and instantly know where any part of his anatomy is without even looking at him. Its totally safe to do too, cause he cant reach you for a second. Slip- hold ,turn- hit all in one foot movement.Its a shuffle out to the left and a retreat with the rear foot that ends up with the heel facing the opponent.

At that point, you can practice ducking and turning to go back in underneath the confusion (this can be done by bringing your right leg back into the centre of the action or if he is falling at you you can pull your left leg back into full retreat which sends you around the way you wish to be ,(uppertcut is devestational here) .Also at that point practice breaking contact and setting your self up again for when he readjusts to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same with following a punch back to its source and controlling it and his balance as you do it, it subtle but very disrupting .
You have to be on the move and countering with your other arm at the same time. With an attack happening at the same time ,the control is subtle and isnt taken as grappling because you are moving as well ,OUT OF RANGE OF HIS FREE ARM (its the only thing you have to look for that is of any danger),

If ;at any stage you can wallop him and he cant get to you with out re-adjusting his body with footwork ...your job is done. The openings were there either while he thought move, or when he turned back into face you to get back into reach with his only free side.