Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Will Wilder be fair and rematch Fury in the UK?

Voters
13. This poll is closed
  • No, he'll demand the fight be in the USA

5 38.46%
  • Yes, he's a ring warrior and will go to the UK to fight Fury

8 61.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Deontay Wilder be brave enough to rematch Tyson Fury in the UK?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Deontay Wilder be brave enough to rematch Tyson Fury in the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/46489617

MANDATORIES dont seem to be a problem here :S..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Deontay Wilder be brave enough to rematch Tyson Fury in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/46489617

MANDATORIES dont seem to be a problem here :S..
    I don't mean they'll get in the way of a Wilder/ Fury rematch, but I do think they may start to get in the way of the 2 best eventually fighting. Lets say Wilder/ Fury 2 does come off next. The winner will probably have to defend against Breazeale, unless a unification can be made. AJ will need to defend against Whyte and Pulev soon. We might not get the 2 best fighting each other until at least 2020.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    How many UK PPV buys needed to match the US dollars?

320,000 US buys at $75 = 24000000

A Million UK buys at $25 = 25000000

(just a rough estimate)

By those numbers it's clear they could double the PPV price in the UK for either against Joshua and it would beat a million. And any fight between the three packs a football stadium.
    320 is the first PPV, go look at the numbers for Joshua’s first PPV, Maywrathers, GGGs, literally anyone. Fighters numbers rise. Pretending not to realize that is disingenuous.

I really don’t understand if people pretend not to understand or genuinely don’t understand the numbers. This is not complicated. And it is clear as day

You are presenting an argument that makes horrible business sense, what does it serve to do so?
    I didn't present an argument I asked a question followed by a guesstimate. The purpose was to waffle about about boxing with my Saddo boxing friends.

My only point being - the disparity of price between UK-USA PPV is virtually offset by the amount of buys by comparison. I fully agree with your follow point that two PPVs are more lucrative than one.

However, Fury-AJ would easily smash 2 million PPV buys in Britain with a price increase.

As for your point about it being Wilder's first PPV, it's not a very strong argument comparing with fighters of the past, Wilder has only one other dance partner (Joshua) who can create the buzz/interest for this amount of sales. Arguably Fury sold the fight.

Look at the history of PPVs, it takes two to tango. Wilder is never going to be a phenom like Joshua or Canelo who can sell 500,000 PPV against British title level guys. Wilder is never going to be an American PPV star, he needs the right dance partner.
    Last edited by Fenster; 12-09-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What’s the record for ppv buys in the uk? I can’t find anything about it. Also, people talk about stadiums selling out etc, but the gate still seems to be far less than in America, as the vast majority of sales are for nosebleed seats which go cheap, as they should, being a shitty way to watch a fight. I’d be happy to be wrong, but on a couple of quick searches they don’t compare. AJ-Klitschko apparently did somewhere around 12 million US for the live gate, 8 or 9 million pounds, whatever it was. That’s less than Calzaghe-Hopkins did in America, for instance.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apparently Joshua-Wlad is the record at 1.5 million. Joshua's last few PPVs have all beat a million. Floyd-Manny and Floyd-Hatton were the records before with over million. Haye did over a million a couple of times too.

I don't buy these Wembley gates are less than US ones (barring super fights in Vegas - Floyd/Manny/Oscar). It's well known all American fights are comped, even the big Vegas ones, when they don't sell out.

How did Fury-Wilder go from 7000 to 17,000 with a couple of weeks to go? I even heard a tout on a podcast advising people to wait until the day of the fight to get the tickets for dirt cheap.

I know for certain the TV money in the States is much bigger than the UK.

(happy to read someone give actual figures and a breakdown)
    Last edited by Fenster; 12-09-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beats me, that’s why I asked. It stands to reason the promoters and networks would know and stage the fights where it makes the most money. It’s not just that these super fights seem to make slightly more at the gate in America, though. From everything I can find, a good few mayweather fights made roughly 6 or 7 times what that AJ fight did at the gate alone, having less than a quarter of the attendance. That tells you it isn’t a stretch to imagine that other fights would at least be in the same ballpark, comped or not. I’ve been in the nosebleeds for a UFC fight in Vegas, which was comped as it happens, and it was a completely pointless way to watch, didn’t take my eyes off the big screen for more than a few seconds at a time.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say the fight should be in a neutral country- Germany, Mexico, Macau, Japan or Argentina. lololol...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why wouldn't anywhere in Europe buy into Dury/AJ/Wilder fights?

Thread so far has been UK/US buy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hesitate to do a Ross here, but lets get it straight, Fury got a 10-2 rounds decision. No media bollox can cover that up. 10 rounds at 10 points plus two at 8 equals 116 for Fury, ten rounds at 9 points plus two at ten equals 110 for Wilder. Ask Dave Coldwell or any other boxer (as opposed to mediabollox man) who scored it.

Personally I think it would be a hoot, especially as Fury has now a WBC sanction, if he sat back and said 'OK AJ, I took the risk now you do it', I know I can beat him, you don't.
    Last edited by nuggetdotcom; 12-09-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Beats me, that’s why I asked. It stands to reason the promoters and networks would know and stage the fights where it makes the most money. It’s not just that these super fights seem to make slightly more at the gate in America, though. From everything I can find, a good few mayweather fights made roughly 6 or 7 times what that AJ fight did at the gate alone, having less than a quarter of the attendance. That tells you it isn’t a stretch to imagine that other fights would at least be in the same ballpark, comped or not. I’ve been in the nosebleeds for a UFC fight in Vegas, which was comped as it happens, and it was a completely pointless way to watch, didn’t take my eyes off the big screen for more than a few seconds at a time.
    Yes the super Vegas fights (Floyd/Manny/Oscar/Canelo etc) do astronomical numbers because the ticket prices are so high, however, I think people are confusing those huge figures with the norm.

I picked some recent Vegas fights at random as they're the only ones readily published - Wilder-Stiverne - 4,000 tickets, $755,200 gate. Broner-Porter - 8,000 tickets, 768,000 gate. Crawford-Horn - 5,236 tickets, $932,206 gate.

Joshua-Wlad, 90,000 tickets, $12m gate. Ticket prices - £40, £60, £80, £100, £150, £200, £400, £800 and £2,000.

Fury-Wilder, 17,000 tickets, ? gate. Ticket prices - $129, $207, $310, $517, $1035, $1552.

So it was basically priced the same, right? How could they have possibly made anywhere near $12m? How many top price tickets were available/sold compared to a Wembley stadium fight?

@Ron Swanson - where can I find a figure for the Fury-Wilder gate?
    Last edited by Fenster; 12-10-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PPV does not matter which country, just an awkward time.

Wilder needs this bout more than Tyson, therefore the fight will be in UK, or maybe Ireland.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanatogen View Post
    Why wouldn't anywhere in Europe buy into Dury/AJ/Wilder fights?

Thread so far has been UK/US buy
    You want a fair fight? Right?

It's my thing: I like a WORLD CHAMP to take the fights AROUND THE WORLD.

Guys stay home too much, man. I just like to see WORLD TITLE FIGHTS!

I believe all judges should be from separate countries and if possible for unification bouts to be held in a foreign country to the fighter IF POSSIBLE. jmo....

Saw Floyd get away with MURDER in Vegas. Just how I see shit now. Plus, what made Foreman/Ali/Frazier so big was that they fought around the world.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information