Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Perspective

Perspective. Can we have some perspective please? There seems to be a general mood of cynicism sweeping the board in which balanced and nuanced points of view are being dismissed as paranoia or brain disease by those who have assumed an outlook where alternative arguments are simply dismissed as trolling or stupidity. This is a forum and outside of the boxing threads, amongst the non boxing and hidden boards we have recently seen an explosion of opinion threads in which the opining of the thread starter is just a barrage of rhetoric or worse second hand information written down as though it were unassailable fact or delivered as a didactic lecture laying out one world view as some kind of template to conform to.

This is an on-line discussion forum in which we are all adults with a disparate geographical location and an even greater spread of life experience, intelligence and common sense, united by a love of boxing and/or mixed martial arts. We should be able to disagree without assuming that other posters grasp of philosophical,moral,spiritual or political issues is somehow inferior to ours because they draw different conclusions. I know that I myself am often guilty of this and it is in some ways a credit to the range of subjects discussed and the passion with which arguments are laid out that threads can draw such reactions from many of us. Still, there is a point at which opinion becomes a battering stick with which to silence any discordant voices and then the arguments can get boring for everybody else.

Those on the right are not all power obsessed, virtue less individuals trying to grab everything for themselves just as those on the left are not all two faced, limp wishy washy victims. The same is true of every subject so surely we are capable of inferring a more nuanced understanding of posters responses even when they seem to be diametrically opposed to our own.

We all have our own lives away from the forum and the reality of those as well as little things like facial expressions and tone of voice are often lost in translation. On top of that cultural differences and things like dry, wry and dark humour are often misinterpreted as meanness and spite so maybe we should take a deep breath at times and remember that the person on the other side of the screen maybe less retarded and more intelligent than ourselves before we attribute attitudes and character flaws that may be in our own heads.

That said I do like a good war and a few of you really are a bunch of cunts
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Perspective

Well you can't beat a good debate can you, it's interesting to hear peoples views on many
    different topics, I believe your entitled to you view some agree others disagree, what the
    hell, nothing to loose sleep over.
    Yes Chaps some exchanges do get heated,! remember it's a boxing forum it's fun bullshit
    shooting the shit, I am probable the nicest person here the rest of you are CUNTS.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than Max Power everyone is sensible on here so Greenbeanz will you show some perspective?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As material things we operate out of the narrowest of bandwidths our perspective is shit our vision can see about 1% of the whole spectrum. We are an intellectual mental joke that is on us. We place our whole belief systems in measuring bits of the 4% of matter from within senses that are less than a % of what is and we still like to complicate the little we have into opposites.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been contemplating a thread titled "Cynicism & sarcasm: When is too much not enough"

In all seriousness...I find my attention and thought process has been very limited when it comes to posting over the last few months. The smart ass stabbing wit may remain, but am drawing alot of blanks. None the less the depth of this oasis remains, as does the quality and insight by most awesome people here regarding all things living and laughing for the most part. I'll be honest...I think I need to smoke a fat joint and end this near 5 yr exile. Either that or quit my job and free my mind. Getting layed may be a bonus as well. Fuck. I have a lot to do. I forgot what this thread was about.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice.

My version is - If you think you're not a cunt you're a cunt. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People can say what they want on an issue, but I am cynical when it comes to British and American politics, so until they give me something to be positive about, then I will moan about them. Much of what I have said on this forum about the Western police states has turned out to be true.

My only problem is when people jump into threads just to abuse me and seeing as I have little recourse, I have to battle aggression with aggression. In truth, I really dislike doing that. Surely it's not beyond anyone to just say 'I don't agree with you' rather than 'You are a warped cunt'. There is a big difference between the two. If you a reasonable to me, then I will be with you.

When it comes to perspective anyone can have a point of view, provided they can back it up a little. Most of the time I do this, I don't pick up information off the back of matchboxes. You might not agree with it, but I can always back it up. Unless it is something like the paralympics, which is obviously a point of view. Most of my politics is easily rationalised and supported.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are a warped cunt

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which society is getting it right then Miles?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    You are a warped cunt

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Which society is getting it right then Miles?
    There is no such thing as a perfect society, but there are many examples of seriously failing states. A society that I think is doing relatively well in terms of actually looking out for its own citizens is......Well, I would posit forth Norway as a great example. It is a nation with a high standard of living for its citizens as a whole and its welfare system isn't just a ponzi scheme designed to pay for only the few who claim it for today. You asked for one and that is the one I like most.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Perspective. Can we have some perspective please? There seems to be a general mood of cynicism sweeping the board in which balanced and nuanced points of view are being dismissed as paranoia or brain disease by those who have assumed an outlook where alternative arguments are simply dismissed as trolling or stupidity. This is a forum and outside of the boxing threads, amongst the non boxing and hidden boards we have recently seen an explosion of opinion threads in which the opining of the thread starter is just a barrage of rhetoric or worse second hand information written down as though it were unassailable fact or delivered as a didactic lecture laying out one world view as some kind of template to conform to.

This is an on-line discussion forum in which we are all adults with a disparate geographical location and an even greater spread of life experience, intelligence and common sense, united by a love of boxing and/or mixed martial arts. We should be able to disagree without assuming that other posters grasp of philosophical,moral,spiritual or political issues is somehow inferior to ours because they draw different conclusions. I know that I myself am often guilty of this and it is in some ways a credit to the range of subjects discussed and the passion with which arguments are laid out that threads can draw such reactions from many of us. Still, there is a point at which opinion becomes a battering stick with which to silence any discordant voices and then the arguments can get boring for everybody else.

Those on the right are not all power obsessed, virtue less individuals trying to grab everything for themselves just as those on the left are not all two faced, limp wishy washy victims. The same is true of every subject so surely we are capable of inferring a more nuanced understanding of posters responses even when they seem to be diametrically opposed to our own.

We all have our own lives away from the forum and the reality of those as well as little things like facial expressions and tone of voice are often lost in translation. On top of that cultural differences and things like dry, wry and dark humour are often misinterpreted as meanness and spite so maybe we should take a deep breath at times and remember that the person on the other side of the screen maybe less retarded and more intelligent than ourselves before we attribute attitudes and character flaws that may be in our own heads.

If you think some people have a completely unbalanced point of view maybe you could try debating them and showing them where they're wrong.

El Kabong Guest

No graph....so disappointing

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id have though you'd preffered a pie chart

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post

If you think some people have a completely unbalanced point of view maybe you could try debating them and showing them where they're wrong.
    What do you mean rather than repeatedly posting a lazy purile image like a shipping container?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information