Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about technique on the bag

This is just more annoying than anything, but normally at the gym and at home sometimes I will do some light bagwork with just wraps on... and get some good burns on the middle joints of my index and middle fingers... not sure if my form is wrong? I have been punching with my "whole fist", quoted from an earlier thread, and my alignment seems to be correct, and the coach normally tells me if Im hitting incorrectly... but it rubs those joints anyways. I wonder is this a technique problem with the way my punches land?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about technique on the bag

Always wear gloves on a bag without them the wraps will role if theyve been put on correct
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Scrap will do... want to prevent any injury to the hands by all means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Have Gloves And Stuff But Sometimes When I Hit The Punching Bag I Get Burns Or Well They Look Like Little Hickies In Between My Knuckles They Arnt Burns But I Dont Know What They Are.
    But I DOnt KNow If your Talking About the Same Thing I Am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman19
    This is just more annoying than anything, but normally at the gym and at home sometimes I will do some light bagwork with just wraps on... and get some good burns on the middle joints of my index and middle fingers... not sure if my form is wrong? I have been punching with my "whole fist", quoted from an earlier thread, and my alignment seems to be correct, and the coach normally tells me if Im hitting incorrectly... but it rubs those joints anyways. I wonder is this a technique problem with the way my punches land?
    you want want to hit the heavybag with gloves on. better protection and a better workout 14 oz 16 oz . Good luck.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, using heavy bag gloves as apposed to bag mitts not only protects your knuckles but gives you a better work out.

When I switched from what must have been 4oz to 16oz gloves the differences was pretty big... it took me a few weeks to perform as well with 16oz gloves on as I did with light mitts on... when you wear competition gloves its like theres nothing there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerjl
    I Have Gloves And Stuff But Sometimes When I Hit The Punching Bag I Get Burns Or Well They Look Like Little Hickies In Between My Knuckles They Arnt Burns But I Dont Know What They Are.
    But I DOnt KNow If your Talking About the Same Thing I Am
    are you wearing wraps under you gloves? and are you you wraping them around your knuckels correctly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    I agree, using heavy bag gloves as apposed to bag mitts not only protects your knuckles but gives you a better work out.

When I switched from what must have been 4oz to 16oz gloves the differences was pretty big... it took me a few weeks to perform as well with 16oz gloves on as I did with light mitts on... when you wear competition gloves its like theres nothing there
    Very good point.

Thats why when i do 10 rounds on the bag, the first 5 rounds i go with 16 oz gloves then switch to my 10 oz gloves and it feels like im wearing mittens! Wouldnt even realise im wearing gloves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm such a killer it doesn't matter what's on my hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxerjl, well they are just more like burns for me... do you mean you have small bruises on your knuckles? Yeah I havent had that problem yet. Thanks for all the advice yeah I have some 14 oz heavy bag gloves I just got and will wear all the time on the bag at home... at my gym we have mostly 14's, so Im gettin pretty used to those.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont take this the wrong way, but Ive a feeling you have never done a days hard work in your life. Im talking manual labour, working with your hands, there many a time the problem lies. You have in your hands a third of the bones in your body, which bring with them a lot of cartilage called hyaline which protects the bone ends and very little else on the knuckle. You are going to have to strenghten your hands, with hand exercisesBoxers who have worked manuely dont have the same problems as office workers who Box. Get a pair of those X clamps in plastic and shadow box whileholding them with pressure while doing it. Its also a good way to punch faster its through the response mechanics go on then

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap, I have bruised/marred up my hands countless times, products of both work and play. Although havent ever bruised them up from a heavy bag as Boxerjl described... youre probably right just a result of not working much with your hands.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hydro when you think about it we prepare the body to punch hard, but the most important thing the thing what takes all the impact, we dont train to do. Yet with bad hands we cant punch, theres a message there somewhere

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spot on, Scrap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No I Pretty Much Use My Hands All The Time Im Like A Freeken Slave To My Parents And Have To Do All The Work That They Dont Want To Do So Im Pretty Busy All The Time And Have To Use My Hands Alot And I Have Those Like Hand Things Wear You squeze Them And I Use Them Quit Often In My Training As You Said To Do Will Shadow Boxing I Have Done That Quite A Few Times And Its Pretty Effective.

I No Longer Get Those Bruises That Was When I First Started Hitting The Bag But Now Theres No Problems With My Hands
    Thanks for The Advice Though Never Stop With It I Need All The Advice That I Can Get

Thread Information