Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i the only one getting more and more unimpressed with Gamboa?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Am i the only one getting more and more unimpressed with Gamboa?

I've followed Gamboa since the Olympics and the more I've been seeing of him lately the more unimpressed i am getting. I know he is fighting in a more cautious manner as to avoid those knockdowns he leaves himself open for, but he just hasn't been able to dominate and almost seems reluctant to let his hands go. His combinations where non-existent last night, and he's making fights that he should dominate closer than they should be. I also agree with something one of the announcers said about him never coming in with a gameplan against an opponent, but instead just relying on his talent to get him through fights.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am i the only one getting more and more unimpressed with Gamboa?

His fight was bullshit, absolute snoozefest.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was dull and seems to have no fire in him. He is in his 30's and his career is in cruise control. Another one like that and he will have a bad rep.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ez396979@yahoo.com View Post
    I've followed Gamboa since the Olympics and the more I've been seeing of him lately the more unimpressed i am getting. I know he is fighting in a more cautious manner as to avoid those knockdowns he leaves himself open for, but he just hasn't been able to dominate and almost seems reluctant to let his hands go. His combinations where non-existent last night, and he's making fights that he should dominate closer than they should be. I also agree with something one of the announcers said about him never coming in with a gameplan against an opponent, but instead just relying on his talent to get him through fights.
    The problem for me is that his opposition has stayed at a C level. He should have stepped it up ages ago, but nothing has happened. He beat Salido and then Salido goes on to prove his worth against Lopez, but Gamboa doesn't kick on. I figured it was a promotional issue, but he left Arum, signed with 50 Cent and the crap opposition continues. They talked about a fight with Floyd Mayweather & Timothy Bradley at Welter, then Juan Carlos Burgos at Lightweight, only to come out with Darley Perez as an opponent. He is becoming irrelevant fast.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa spends to much time on the outside mulling over attack angles now. He used to slip the first punch and then blitz you with hand speeds and short compact punches and head movement and then get out. That used to be the plan every time.

Is he trying to not look bad anymore as opposed to looking good before? now that Juanmas already been beat, Salido was beat, and everyone's pairing off at one of the hottest weights around, a guy like Gamboa is no longer has an easy road to the top of the division. He's got the choice of singing for his supper or taking what he gets fed. It would appear that he prefers the latter; Fighting in a way that noone wants to see anymore and the other guys at the weight are thankful hes uninspired and would be perfectly content if he never caught on and decided he wanted to run the table. I'm not saying the guys unbeatable, but when he decides to use his natural gifts to his benefit, he's got an edge over most fighters.

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent..." - A bronx tale
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He just seems very hesitant and reluctant to throw. He just threw potshots and ran the whole fight. It was annoying to watch and made the fight closer then it needed to be. He also needs to learn to defend better after he throws his hands, most of his knockdowns have come from counters. Even now that he is more hesitant and seems to be trying to avoid those knockdowns i still see him getting hit with too many shots he should be ducking. The guy seems to be regressing rather then improving after each fight.......

ICB Guest

Gamboa reminds me of Guzman, a very talented fighter but he's not fighting in any big fights and if he's not careful he'll be forgotten.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been thinking for awhile that he has flatlined at his peak. Just seems when he is the early "" he is equally walking into bad things at the c level. His balance has always looked horrible to me and his errors became learned rather than corrected. When he is boxing cautious and trying to keep smart he isn't all that impressive either but still gets clipped. He has never blended the package to threaten level a and gets stuck in the middle with identity crisis. If-when he steps into top tier he'll be in trouble and one way or another will have to be the hard charging, accident prone comer to survive and give himself his best chance.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has anyone actually been getting more impressed with Gamboa

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest what a waste of talent,not fighting regular is this some Cuban thing as many Cuban
    fighters never seem to fight on a regular bases.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good morning.

The good life seems to have adverse effects on these guys. As crazy as it sounds it seems to counteract the edge brought forth by poverty and struggle. That is to say the modern day version. The last bad ass driven Cuban was probably Casamayor. Guys like Kid Chocolate, Napoles and Gavilan are rolling in their graves at this new crop of Cubans.
    Mike Perez is another lost cause. Either that or he’s simply waiting on the K brothers to go away. Something is lost today on this new era of Cubans. Something their predecessors grabbed onto with both hands. Napoles fought over 60 times before he even got a title shot. Imagine a guy like 59 and 4 today and never having a title shot.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A short clip on Napoles. 7 min

Rare footage of Kid Chocolate vs Tony Canzoneri.

Full fight. Oh well on the quality. 40 min

Kid Gavilan. 5+ min

Now shut off the Coronation street and watch a little footage.

There is a nice rainbow trout pool not 30 minutes from my front door housing 3 with my name on them. One for me and one for each dog.

Enjoy the morning or afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...could it be that he knows he's chinny?

He looked good against Farenas (who is NOT a C level opponent damnit! He's a tough mofo and a half) until the Filipino smacked him back and probably thought "shit, if he catches me too many times I'm gonna lose that pretty lil 0"

Against Perez "right, Farenas hit me hard, Perez is bigger, I don't want him to hit me!"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I've been thinking for awhile that he has flatlined at his peak. Just seems when he is the early "" he is equally walking into bad things at the c level. His balance has always looked horrible to me and his errors became learned rather than corrected. When he is boxing cautious and trying to keep smart he isn't all that impressive either but still gets clipped. He has never blended the package to threaten level a and gets stuck in the middle with identity crisis. If-when he steps into top tier he'll be in trouble and one way or another will have to be the hard charging, accident prone comer to survive and give himself his best chance.
    To be fair, I think Gamboa has beaten top tier opponents.

Dominating Daniel Ponce De Leon and Orlando Salido is impressive, and they weren't as old as they are now either.

Absolutely obliterating Rogers Mtagwa after the man had put a beatdown on a then unbeaten Juanma was also impressive.

Gamboa seems to have regressed, grown a lil complacent and bored with his opposition and promotion or former promotion.

He needs a fire lit under his ass, but he IS a world class talent and fighter....when he wants to be.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ez396979@yahoo.com View Post
    Gamboa is a clubber to a great extent, he's not slick and he certainly doesn't slip.

What Gamboa has is a mix of speed and power. 10-15 years back, an amateur fighter with his skill set would not have made it in the pro-game- but because technology has changed, for everyone, he has a decent shot.

Gamboa is trouble for anyone he faces, sorta like how Casamayor was for a lot of guys in the Jr. Welter and Welterweight division. But he is not a top star I would pin my hopes on, for what you saud and more.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information