Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bike

Thinking of getting a bicycle to get to the train station which is about a couple of miles.
    Probably need a durable mountain bike in case of snow.
    Did not realise there are different types of gears and brakes but will aim for twist gear and disk brakes.
    Have to get accessories such as locks, helmet, and lights.
    Biggest fear is getting run over by a car and sweating a lot when I get to work.
    I have no experience of this, any advice and support appreciated on other things I need to consider.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bike

I got one from Halfords a few years ago for getting to work, but since moving I have not really used it alot.
    I had a bad experience after a week of having mine, when biking to work the gears slipped and the handle bars twisted round, I ended up flying over the handlebars and the bike followed me over my head, it must of looked funny to the people driving past me. Luckily I was on the cycle path and not on the road otherwise I would of been ran over! ended up fracturing my wrist and having a cast on my arm for a month
    Played havoc with my xbox'ing !
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Thinking of getting a bicycle to get to the train station which is about a couple of miles.
    Did not realise there are different types of gears and brakes but will aim for twist gear and disk brakes.
    Biggest fear is getting run over by a car and sweating a lot when I get to work.
    I have no experience of this, any advice and support appreciated on other things I need to consider.
    Do you have any hill's to climb?

Is there security at the train station? (Bikes are easy to steal)

What type of roads are you planning to ride on?

What is your body build?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    I got one from Halfords a few years ago for getting to work, but since moving I have not really used it alot.
    I had a bad experience after a week of having mine, when biking to work the gears slipped and the handle bars twisted round, I ended up flying over the handlebars and the bike followed me over my head, it must of looked funny to the people driving past me. Luckily I was on the cycle path and not on the road otherwise I would of been ran over! ended up fracturing my wrist and having a cast on my arm for a month
    You are putting me off Matty, that would be my worst nightmare looking a prat and getting hurt. Worst would be getting hit by a car.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please don't get run over by a car Master.

please.....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Do you have any hill's to climb?

Is there security at the train station? (Bikes are easy to steal)

What type of roads are you planning to ride on?

What is your body build?
    The journey is at most 3 miles, all on the road, there are some hills but nothing too high.

There is security at the train station so it should be OK.

I am skinny and short but fit unlike Mark TKO who is fat, tall and ugly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Suggest going with a 10 speed bike. Smoother ride on the road than a mountain bike and if you have snow, you can always change the tires.

Lights - Flashing red on the back, mounted to the seat bar, with a couple red reflectors on each side for trailing cars to see you as they approach.

Front Lights - White beam, either steady or flashing.

Helmet - What feels comfortable to you. If you do get hit by a large truck, the helmet ain't going matter.

Lock - One long enough to go through both tires and the frame of the bike and heavy enough (thickness) not easy to cut with small tools.

Water bottle - Either bike mounted or hip sack.

Small bag - To carry tube patches and some tools, in case you get a flat. Also a pump.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tool box, never thought of that. Neither the water bottle, I wanted less stuff to carry. These accessories like lights and cycle computer I wanted to take off as they would get nicked at the station.

I like the idea of having a faster bike rather than mountain bike which look very heavy but they need to be durable as I think I will be taking short cuts on street paths and subways.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do I need to consider the frame make such as steel or alloy and does it make much difference.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rode Bike for the first time this Sunday morning, when there is less traffic. Had the courage to put on the helmet even though I felt a bit of a plonker in it. I easily did 20 + miles in it in 2 hours and it felt good. It was not as hard a work out as playing football or running but my knees cannot take on those activities anymore so this is the next best thing to supplement the cross trainer I have at home. It felt easy doing it but later at home the body did ache from the cycling.

Some observations were, having a runny nose, had to wear gloves and lights used because it was a bit foggy. Forgot about having to get use to being saddle sore, and hitting all the bumps/drains in the road. Nearly got hit by 2 cars trying to fight over 1 lane and the chain came off once going up a steep hill.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mountan bike would have better balance in a snowy slippery sort of slush type mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    I LOL'd
    "The day I clipped the Butterfly's wings."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just got myself a hybrid - narrow tyres similar to a road racer but a bit more sturdy, normal mountain bike handles so best of both worlds.

Highly recommended by cycling enthusiasts and glad i listened

ooops just saw how old the post is.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    Just got myself a hybrid - narrow tyres similar to a road racer but a bit more sturdy, normal mountain bike handles so best of both worlds.

What you got, I took ages to get mines.

I got Carrera Crossfile 2, cost £330 Halfords. I decided the thicker tyres were better if it snowed or if I wanted to go on canal pathways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post

What you got, I took ages to get mines.

I got Carrera Crossfile 2, cost £330 Halfords. I decided the thicker tyres were better if it snowed or if I wanted to go on canal pathways.

I have a Viking urban trail paid £260 for it. doesn't get used as much as it should though.

Thread Information