Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default RIP Ken Buchanan

rest easy champion
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: rip ken buchanan

Greatest Scottish boxer fought in New York many times against the very best. Duran punched him low and took the title unfairly from him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the very very best. Teak tough, great technique and he set the blueprint for Scottish boxers like Jim Watt, Ricky Burns and Josh Taylor. They all fought like Buchanan. What a tough guy he was. RIP champ
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Greatest Scottish boxer fought in New York many times against the very best. Duran punched him low and took the title unfairly from him.
    Buchanan was a wonderful Boxer, RIP. But although Duran hit Buchanan low in the 13th round, you conveniently neglected to point out that Duran was a long way ahead on the cards.
    So technically speaking , if Buchanan couldn’t continue, Duran could be deducted a point and it would go to the cards……..and Duran would’ve won. So “unfair” is harsh, but hey.
    Whenever Duran was asked who his toughest opponent was, Buchanan was always in the shake up, which is an enormous testimony knowing who Duran fought in his career.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIP to a true ATG and a HOFer. Buchanan, Leonard, De Jesus, Hagler... those are the fighters Roberto Durán mentions when asked about the best he ever faced.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rest easy Champ.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ken Buchanan, Scotland's first undisputed world champion and arguably the country's greatest boxer, has died at the age of 77.

The Ken Buchanan Foundation confirmed the Edinburgh native's death on Saturday, a year after his son Mark said his father had been diagnosed with dementia.

"It is with great sadness that we inform you Ken passed away peacefully in his sleep," read a statement. "RIP Ken, always a gentleman and one of the best champions we will ever see."

Having turned professional in 1965, Buchanan memorably won the WBA lightweight world title by dethroning Panama's Ismael Laguna in the scorching heat of Puerto Rico in 1970.

That same year, the Scot was the American Boxing Writers' Association's Fighter of the Year, ahead of Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali.

He defeated Ruben Navarro in Los Angeles in 1971 to take the WBC crown and become Scotland's first undisputed world champion, a feat only matched 50 years later by Josh Taylor.

Buchanan, who topped the bill six times at New York's famous Madison Square Garden arena, won his first 33 professional fights and retired in 1982 with a 61-9 record, including 27 wins by knockout.

He was inducted into the international boxing hall of fame in 2000, and a statue of Buchanan was unveiled in Leith in his home city of Edinburgh last year to honour his storied boxing career.

He had been living in an Edinburgh care home prior to his death, with his son saying the dementia was likely "a result of his sport".

Fellow Edinburgh boxer and world champion Josh Taylor: "It's a very, very sad day. My very first coach was one of his sons, Raymond. My condolences go out to him and all of Ken's family - they are putting to rest a true Scottish legend.

"Everything he did, and the way he did it, away from home. There will never be another man like him, so it's a sad day, and I hope the nation can give this guy the send-off that he truly deserves.

"I just used to love hearing his stories, the way he used to train and live his life. I loved taking on bits of advice from him, and he was a real hero of mine.

"I'm so proud and honoured to have the same titles as him, to follow in his footsteps. He's a massive inspiration to me, and he'll always be remembered as Scotland's greatest ever."

Former world champion Barry McGuigan: "So very sorry to hear of the death of the amazing Ken Buchanan. He was an outlier with his unique boxing style and he was a fabulous man. God bless you, Ken."

BBC Radio 5 Live boxing's Steve Bunce: "Ken Buchanan was a great fighter and a great human. It was a privilege to know him. Loved and adored. The King of the Garden. Gone forever."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65149207

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RIP Ken Buchanan

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rip

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How one of Britain’s best ever boxers became a joiner after expensive divorce before tragically dying in a care home

WHEN the sublime Ken Buchanan fell on financial hard times thanks to an expensive divorce and failed business ventures, he turned to his old trade as a joiner.

Well into his fifties, he was working on a luxury housing development outside of Glasgow.

Ken was sitting on a pile of bricks having a lunch break with a group of bricklayers when he was approached by a man who came out of the show house clutching a brochure.

Believing he recognised the elderly fella drinking his mug of tea, he asked: “Are you Ken Buchanan?”

Finding he was correct, he said: “Mr Buchanan, I’ve been one of your greatest admirers and I’m honoured to shake your hand. Would you sign my brochure?”

As the happy fan left with Ken’s signature, one awestruck young workmate said: “F*** me, Kenny — you must be some joiner.”

I’ve no idea how good a master joiner Ken was but, covering many of his big fights in the 1960s and ’70s I do know he was a master in the ring.

Ken, 77, suffered from dementia and died in a care home last weekend.

And with due respect to Benny Lynch, Walter McGowan and Josh Taylor, he was undeniably Scotland’s greatest-ever fighter.

Pound-for-pound he was one of the three best British fighters I’ve seen in my near 60 years as a boxing writer.

John Conteh and Joe Calzaghe are the others.

It was a privilege to watch his virtuoso displays which led him to become the undisputed world lightweight champion. In his tartan shorts, he looked straight out of a boxing textbook.

With a left jab made in heaven he was all grace, speed and accuracy — never wasting a punch.

Ken won his first world title against all the odds, beating Panamanian Ismael Laguna in the blazing heat of a Puerto Rican open-air stadium.

The Americans were so impressed he ended up headlining five times at Madison Square Garden.

The hard-to-please New York crowd loved him. On his first starring appearance there against Canada’s Donato Paduano in a non-title contest, Muhammad Ali — having a comeback fight with Oscar Bonavena — was on his undercard.

Ken delighted in telling the story of how Angelo Dundee, Ali’s trainer, asked him if he would let The Greatest share his dressing room as he hadn’t been allocated one.

He couldn’t agree fast enough but, when Ali arrived, Ken drew an imaginary line down the room and told him, “Don’t cross that line or there will be trouble.” Ali thought it was hilarious.

Not one of Ken’s 69 fights was at home in Edinburgh — only fighting in Scotland four times in a 17-year career.

So, just how good was he? When Mike Tyson met Lou Savarese in Glasgow 23 years ago — Savarese lasted 38 seconds — I told him Ken would be at the weigh-in.

He lit up and said: “Please introduce me — he is one of my heroes.”

I did and he took Ken to his suite, where they talked boxing for hours.

Kobe Bryant, the late basketball star, was right about sporting giants like Ken Buchanan, when he said: “Heroes come and go but legends are forever.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21971...ng-colin-hart/

Thread Information