Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90s missed match ups (NOT the usuals)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 90s missed match ups (NOT the usuals)

Been stuck in my house for the past day suffering from the flu and boredom (I'm not an inside person), so I started thinking of great fights that weren't made during the 90s. The usual match ups I see when discussing missed match ups are the obvious Lewis vs Bowe, Quartey vs Trinidad...etc., so I decided to try and come up with some great match ups that are usually overlooked. My list of great fights not made during the 90s are:
    1. Evander Holyfield vs Herbie Hide: Both similar sized heavyweights with fan pleasing, all action styles. Hide had the bigger punch and was more athletic, while Evander was more skilled and had the better chin. I see Evander overcoming some early adversity to take over in the middle rounds and use his combination punching to score a late stoppage.
    2. James Toney vs Nigel Benn: Benn was an aggressive fighter who by the mid nineties had developed some underrated defensive skills, while Toney was a defensive wizard who could punch and was one of the few who could match Nigel's volatility in the ring. As tough as Nigel was, and as great as he was against Gerald McLellan, I see Toney being too good and taking Benn apart by slipping and countering between shots.
    3. Terry Norris vs Tito Trinidad: Terry was an extremely fast fighter with knockout power in both hands, and Tito was a competent boxer who also packed fight stopping power in each hand. Terry was chinny, and Tito was a bit of a slow starter. I see this being a war, with Tito going down early and falling way behind. Tito was a monster at 154, had great stamina, and an indominatable will, so while he has trouble early, I see his pressure and punch breaking Terry down for the late stoppage.
    4. Oscar De la Hoya vs. Kostya Tszyu: Oscars speed, jab, boxing ability, and size against Kostya's relentless pressure, physical style inside, and power. Kostya would have success throughout this fight, but Oscar would do enough to eke out the close, disputed decision.

These are the top 4 match ups I came up with. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on my match ups, and if there are some additional match ups that I may have missed.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 90s missed match ups (NOT the usuals)

I think 3 of those fights are clear cut ass whippings myself. Holyfield would have killed Hide to to the point where it's a weird one to mention, there is no way Benn would have beaten James Toney, it'd be a field day, and DLH was too big and powerful for Tszyu(who I chalk up as overrated). Norris vs Trinidad though, that's a hell of a fight. No great insight I know, I've also been stuck in my house suffering from too much booze and boredom. At least I have @walrus and @denilson200 to keep around and let out some tension.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could have sworn that Hide vs Holyfield was talked about at one point but fell apart? Might say something here to tick off fans across the pond but I always looked at Hide as more a domestic attraction rather than an actual world ranked major threat. I know he had speed and some pop but other than thrashing Bentt and beating an absolute shell in Tucker his record is very very thin. I don't see his beard holding up after a few rounds and Holyfield wouldn't sit on the outside looking at him eating straight shots like Bowe did a bit. Think he'd pressure after feel out and combinations would wreck Hide.

Benn-Toney, man that would have been tremendous! Huge fan of both but honestly don't think Toney at 168 had faced anyone near the combined feriocity, volume and one shot power that Benn would present. Griffin or Williams? Jones for punch? Toney needed a comfort zone and was an assassin with 6 inch punches rolling and riding incoming while inside, countering with great selection. His accuracy was insane. But I do think Benn would have some success putting him on his heels and making him work backwards. Toney was never a swift footed fighter and his feet were often flat. Benn did find his jab at 168 and boxed a bit more. He had faced one of the most capable head gamers and posturing thinkers with a punch in Eubanks and a wrecking machine in the G-Man. Still though it might be even worse for Benn to try to 'box' a Toney as he was doing more of. Can easily see Toney hurt early but the very best Toney would war game Benns mistakes and as it wore on Toney would have the best of both worlds inside and outside. The deeper he gets the harder and wider Benn would swing. Regardless of weight class..you may put Toney on the deck but Toney never stayed there let alone be very badly hurt. That chin and defense were world class.

One that always jumps out to me as far as best match possible..Johnny Tapia RIP vs Mark Johnson! They were off by a couple of years at spr. Fly but would have been a tremendous shoot out. Both had some demons that cost them time, deserved, but at lighter weight Stateside that was a 'mega fight' that got away.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried to read most of that, Spicoli. But honestly, Benn vs Toney, thats like a hilarious mismatch if there ever was one for me. WTF was Benn going to do? Utter mismatch/stylistic whitewash if there ever was one imo. It would almost be a joke how one sided that fight would be.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I think 3 of those fights are clear cut ass whippings myself. Holyfield would have killed Hide to to the point where it's a weird one to mention, there is no way Benn would have beaten James Toney, it'd be a field day, and DLH was too big and powerful for Tszyu(who I chalk up as overrated). Norris vs Trinidad though, that's a hell of a fight. No great insight I know, I've also been stuck in my house suffering from too much booze and boredom. At least I have @walrus and @denilson200 to keep around and let out some tension.
    You may be correct on your predictions, but I can see all of them being wars. Prime Evander had a very tough fight vs. Mike Dokes, who had pretty fast hands and decent boxing skills. I feel like Hide had more pop, and may have been slightly faster. I agree that Evander beats him every time they fight, but I think they provide great action in those contests.

Like Evander beating Hide every time, but having to go through hell to do so, I see James having Benn's number, but taking significant punishment along the way. Spicoli did a great break down of this fight in his reply, and it's pretty much exactly how I view the match up. Benn at 168 was a very good fighter, adding solid defense and boxing skills to his natural strength, power, and ferocity. The hostility and anger between both during the build up would be worth making the fight, not to mention the action once they got in the ring together.

Kostya vs Oscar is the fight where I can see/appreciate your skepticism the most, especially if you feel Tszyu is overrated. I feel that Kostya's excellent amateur record, and success in the pros over solid competition proved him to be a great fighter, so we will have to agree to disagree on that point (and this being a mismatch). I do think Oscar wins, but Kostya was VERY strong, hit VERY hard, and fought at a very fast pace at the middle distance, which I feel would've given Oscar some serious issues (Oscar had the chin and boxing skills to pull the victory out though).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spicoli- AWESOME call on Tapia vs Ham Johnson! Loved both guys, and think both were genuinely great fighters, although often underrated and overlooked due to their size. Tapia had the personality to become more famous, but Johnson was such a solid and great fighter, that it's a shame his lack of charisma held him back on the world stage. As much of a fan as I was/am of Johnny, I think Johnson would've won that one. It would've been extremely close, and a phenomenal fight, but I think Johnson was a great talent that only true fans appreciated (like Finito Lopez).

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried to read most of that, Spicoli. But honestly, Benn vs Toney, thats like a hilarious mismatch if there ever was one for me. WTF was Benn going to do? Utter mismatch/stylistic whitewash if there ever was one imo. It would almost be a joke how one sided that fight would be.
    yeah but if the Benn Mclellan fight had never happened I think you would have the same opinion looking back at the possibility of that one
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    yeah but if the Benn Mclellan fight had never happened I think you would have the same opinion looking back at the possibility of that one
    It's possible yes, but they are still completely different fighters. There is basically no way Toney was getting stopped here, and I just don't think Benn would have taken his best shots for very long.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's possible yes, but they are still completely different fighters. There is basically no way Toney was getting stopped here, and I just don't think Benn would have taken his best shots for very long.
    It would have been a hell of a fight though.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you lot are seeing the best Holyfield V Hide but when Herbie was at his best beating Bent and Tucker, Evander had heart condition and stamina problems against Bowe. So i would say Herbie out points Evander but anytime after and before the real deal wins.

The Benn that beat Gerald was at his peak and i can not see Toney stopping that fighter. Nigel did not like to lose to yank fighters and he had a good defence which James would have difficulty landing but see Toney winning a decision but Benn if it was in England.

Terry was finished by the time he was due to fight Oscar so that Tito would have beaten Norris but a peak Terry would batter both Tito and Oscar also Vargas provided he did not get himself disqualified.

How dominate was Oscar at 140lb? He only beat an old Chávez and Gonzalez. Kostya that beat Gonzales batters the golden boy to a decision.
    Last edited by Master; 03-16-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Watson v James Toney would of been a nice watch, pace and solid boxing skills against super skills and no pace.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McCallum v Eubank would be brutal body shots slowing if not stopping simply the best.

Herol Graham v James Toney would be a boxing clinic bamboozingly lights out.

Bruno v Morrison would be action pack with Frank winning by knockout.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not saying you're wrong and I'm right, because this is all opinion, but Benn took some hellacious shots from Eubank and G-Man, and neither stopped him at 168. Do you honestly feel that James punched that much harder than those two?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should finish reading and see that we actually have the same guy winning . Just different avenues and best-worse for both. Hypotheticals are like using a shot gun to hit a fly but interesting opinion of a fighters experience. Dude I just don't see anything near a 'mismatch' with a world class hitter in Benn and a Toney who was often his own worst enemy. He was the absolute elite throw back or absolute clock watching sloth at times, frustrating as a fan. Within two and a half years Toney was outfought and outworked by a 7 ko Tiberi and came to his "super fight" with Jones Jr a bloated boatload who looked, imo, psyched out before the bell. Credit to Jones jr. He doesn't cakewalk Benn for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Not saying you're wrong and I'm right, because this is all opinion, but Benn took some hellacious shots from Eubank and G-Man, and neither stopped him at 168. Do you honestly feel that James punched that much harder than those two?
    Not to mention Tony could be out worked and had some nights during his hay day that he lost to fighters worse the Benn. Would be a great fight either way a lot of the fights at 168 did not happen during that time.

Thread Information