Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Duran advises Canelo to maul Mayweather

Legendary boxer Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran has advised WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) to maul Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs) on September 14th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Duran told Nacion the proper stategy that he would use if he was going up against Mayweather, stating that most fighters make a huge error by always trying to land shots on Canelo's head.

"If I was going up against a boxer like that, I would bust him up. I would bust him all over the place...the arms, the ribs. The first thing you have to do is forget about the head. The head is smaller than the body. You have to break a man down, and in order to do so you're going to hit him in the kidneys and he'll slowly begin to stop [his movement] and after four rounds he will no longer be able to walk," Duran said.

Yep, he's exactly right... I always thought this was the only way to fight Floyd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Duran advises Canelo to maul Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Legendary boxer Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran has advised WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) to maul Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs) on September 14th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Duran told Nacion the proper stategy that he would use if he was going up against Mayweather, stating that most fighters make a huge error by always trying to land shots on Canelo's head.

"If I was going up against a boxer like that, I would bust him up. I would bust him all over the place...the arms, the ribs. The first thing you have to do is forget about the head. The head is smaller than the body. You have to break a man down, and in order to do so you're going to hit him in the kidneys and he'll slowly begin to stop [his movement] and after four rounds he will no longer be able to walk," Duran said.

Yep, he's exactly right... I always thought this was the only way to fight Floyd.
    indeed hes correct, except everytime anyone throws a left hook to the body at floyd, they get caught with a straight right down the pipe or an uppercut, it sounds like a great plan though, if canelo can eat a couple rights, he can make the fight really interesting, but floyd even without head movement fights great in the pocket and in the center of the ring. i personally, am super excited and just a tad worried as a floyd fan. Floyd hasnt looked great at 154, dunno what 152 will look like, and canelo is a very durable guy or so it seems, with good skill, power, and speed. Still all that though, i say floyd wins unless he hurts his hand bad early, he cant afford to get hurt against this guy. He needs both hands to take him into deep waters.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is what you should do, but can you do it is a whole different thing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

jon09 Guest

Sound advise and I agree with his assessment. And Canelo better use his 22 year old reflexes and jab to beat Mayweather on the outside.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What, is this a big secret? You think that never crossed anyone else's mind? You think guys like Ricky Hatton didn't have that in mind?

It's easier said than done with great counter punchers. Floyd's not a knockout puncher, but he has enough pop to keep guys honest.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    What, is this a big secret? You think that never crossed anyone else's mind? You think guys like Ricky Hatton didn't have that in mind?

It's easier said than done with great counter punchers. Floyd's not a knockout puncher, but he has enough pop to keep guys honest.
    Ricky hatton the wrestler? lol Im sure he had all the plans in the world but he wasn't skilled enough to execute ..

Canelo is light years ahead of Hatton and will do a better job..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You think?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You think?
    Saul is a legitimate light middle and his size alone gives him a better advantage than it did Hatton.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not denying his size advantage, I'm just puzzled as to why suddenly Saul is a better fighter than Ricky Hatton?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky hatton the wrestler? lol Im sure he had all the plans in the world but he wasn't skilled enough to execute ..
    Hatton was fighting 2 guys in there, joe cortez played a HUGE part in the way that fight went...

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not denying his size advantage, I'm just puzzled as to why suddenly Saul is a better fighter than Ricky Hatton?
    Better fighter has yet to be established, Saul has a long way to go but he has achieved a lot and the potential to do better than Ricky.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez is a better fighter than Hatton. More tools, more skills.
    I made a thread about Alvarez over 3 years ago because I know The Goods when I see it...

Hatton was a good fighter and was in fact The Man at 140, but there's a clear difference in class here between Alvarez and Hatton, just as there was a difference when Hatton fought both Pacquiao and Mayweather and was out-classed by both. joe cortez helped Mayweather, but even without his help, I can't see Hatton winning that one.

El Kabong Guest

I always figured Duran would have beaten Floyd senseless for this exact reason. Now can Canelo put this plan into action? I don't think so...I think the best opponent PBF has fought recently was Miguel Cotto and had he fought a fresher Cotto I think Floyd would have been in big trouble. Of course we can all thank Margacheato for keeping that fight from coming to fruition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Hatton was fighting 2 guys in there, joe cortez played a HUGE part in the way that fight went...

This is very true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Alvarez is a better fighter than Hatton. More tools, more skills.
    I made a thread about Alvarez over 3 years ago because I know The Goods when I see it...

Hatton was a good fighter and was in fact The Man at 140, but there's a clear difference in class here between Alvarez and Hatton, just as there was a difference when Hatton fought both Pacquiao and Mayweather and was out-classed by both. joe cortez helped Mayweather, but even without his help, I can't see Hatton winning that one.

I really cant see Hatton winning either but there were way to many times Cortez broke up the action for no reason when Hatton was putting on some pressure and Floyd was getting pounded on and Hatton had him on the ropes. No clinch or anything.

That could have made a huge difference in the fight. It definately saved Floyd from taking quite a few shots.

Thread Information