Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where does Abner Mares go from here?

Mares and Ponce De Leon put on a great fight. Mares came out really strong and was consistently first with the punches and showed he could carry his power up with the knockdowns. I did think the stoppage was slightly premature though, Mares seemed to be getting tired and Ponce De Leon was coming on strong but Ponce was taking some hellacious shots so its not the worst stoppage by a ref ever.

In an ideal world I would still like to see Donaire VS Mares, I think the Donaire that would show up to that fight would be alot better prepared that the one that fought Rigondeux but I think Mares wins that fight. Mares is more versatile, he adjusts to styles alot better and can be disciplined through an entire fight sticking to a game plan.

A fight between Mares and Rigo I think would be another boxing enthusiast super fight, Rigo's speed might give him the edge in that one but I do think Mares would be there all night and at some point would touch Rigo's chin to again test it.

Do you think he should move up on weight? What other fighters at this weight would be good to see him in with?
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where does Abner Mares go from here?

If there ever was a situation where Top Rank should have guy go fight on Golden Boy's card it is now with Rigo and Mares. Rigo is never going to be a big money-making fighter. He's Cuban and fights in what some people view as a style that isn't fun to watch. They should permit him to fight Mares because I would argue that is where Mares should go from his win over Ponce.

Mares brought up Russell Jr. That's a big fight too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I keep losing money betting against Mares, but i keep winning when i bet on Rigo, oh boy a wormhole will open if the two ever fought.

Though I do think Rigo might be a tad too small for Mares.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    If there ever was a situation where Top Rank should have guy go fight on Golden Boy's card it is now with Rigo and Mares. Rigo is never going to be a big money-making fighter. He's Cuban and fights in what some people view as a style that isn't fun to watch. They should permit him to fight Mares because I would argue that is where Mares should go from his win over Ponce.

Very good point about Rigo. The promotion could play off the Cuba VS Mexico rivalry (Mexico VS any other latin country is always a rivalry in boxing) and that would be Rigo's best bet to gain a following.

I totally forgot about Gary Russell Jr. Mares VS Russell Jr. would be a great fight. Hard to pick in that fight as I really havent seen anyone test Russell Jr, but he never been in the ring with anyone on Mares' level or near it. I'd like to see Russeell Jr. in with some higher calibue fighters perhaps agaisnt Ponce De Leon.

In the future I think we will see Mikey Garcia VS Abner Mares, which will be a great fight as well. My hope is that they dont rush in and put in Santa Cruz VS Mares, I'd like to see Santa Cruz get a little older and fill out more in weight with muscle and not just water or fat as he goes up the weight classes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Very good point about Rigo. The promotion could play off the Cuba VS Mexico rivalry (Mexico VS any other latin country is always a rivalry in boxing) and that would be Rigo's best bet to gain a following.

I totally forgot about Gary Russell Jr. Mares VS Russell Jr. would be a great fight. Hard to pick in that fight as I really havent seen anyone test Russell Jr, but he never been in the ring with anyone on Mares' level or near it. I'd like to see Russeell Jr. in with some higher calibue fighters perhaps agaisnt Ponce De Leon.

In the future I think we will see Mikey Garcia VS Abner Mares, which will be a great fight as well. My hope is that they dont rush in and put in Santa Cruz VS Mares, I'd like to see Santa Cruz get a little older and fill out more in weight with muscle and not just water or fat as he goes up the weight classes.
    Agreed. Santa Cruz is another opponent down the road.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abner should go over to Thailand and beat the shit out of John once and for all...
    I would like to see Mares vs. Gradovich.
    @DavilaJones I've made 150 bucks betting on Mares. Last night I made $50.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the fight on Saturday would be a formality for Mares but afew people thought Ponce stood a decent chance which surprised me. De Leon is good to watch but isn't too dissimilar to Mayorga, wild/ uncoordinated and loses to every top fighter he faces. Mares wasnt going to get caught by one f those crude shots which is why he boxed abit more than he usually does.

Some good fights for Mares at 126. Hes announced himself in the division now but before the superfights begin Id like to see him go over to Indonesia, show Marquez how its done and stop Chris John

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Abner should go over to Thailand and beat the shit out of John once and for all...
    I would like to see Mares vs. Gradovich.
    @DavilaJones I've made 150 bucks betting on Mares. Last night I made $50.
    He was a two to one favourite correct?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He goes on the top 10 p4p list IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor John View Post
    He goes on the top 10 p4p list IMO.

He should have been on a few pound for pound list already, hes been shunned for a while. But hopefully he cracks the top 10 after this fight.

Thread Information